8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: stopping or slowing on back side of every barrel  (Read 3611 times)

Offline scotfurn

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
stopping or slowing on back side of every barrel
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:09:40 PM »
I have a horse that I have just started and he is wanting to stop or slow way down on the backside of every barrel>   Any suggestions?  Please help

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: stopping or slowing on back side of every barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
I have a horse that I have just started and he is wanting to stop or slow way down on the backside of every barrel>   Any suggestions?  Please help

Hi.  Without seeing or getting any more detailed info, its pretty hard to make a good decision here.
But knowing young horses as I do I would say one of two things are happening.
When you are going to the first barrel do you feel the horse drifting towards the barrel in anticipation
of getting there sooner??  If you do...then the horse is needing to have a better approach to the barrel.
Every approach to a barrel determines the turn.  If the horse is drifting towards the barrel, he will be dropping his ribcage too soon, and not getting to the point of his turn where the hocks should engage and the horse should begin his turn.  When this happens, if the horse really does want to please, he will hesitate or just stop before starting again in order to put his body in a position where he can move forward.  In order to fix this, increase the size of your approach to the barrel with a further distance from the barrel at the starting point of your approach (back towards the alley or from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd---where ever its happening) all the while making sure that you are using your inside foot with pressure to the ribcage to keep the body from drifting over and using enough inside pressure on the rein that you are lifting the horse to keep him upright but NOT holding the horse "off" so to speak.  Make sure rather than
starting your turn where your knee enters the barrel--think to yourself...UP UP AND THEN AROUND...that will shoot your pocket more to the back of the turn where to the horse may have a better opportunity to
keep forward motion and continue without any stopping motion.

Now the other thing that could be happening.  If you not experiencing any issue with the drifting going to the barrel and everything seems to be fine until you get to the backside.  You may be dropping your hand down too low on the back of the turn.  There is not a colt alive that likes a rider to drop his hand down  low to help finish a turn.  Dropping your hand down too low indicates too much pressure to the colts mouth and he will either just stop to get away from it or you will experience your horse starting to side step out of the turn as soon as he anticipates its fixing to happen.  Not only  can a colt see your elbow starting to  leave the side of your body and prepare himself to do that stopping motion but when you drop your hand down too low you change the shank pressure of any bit you use.  Make sure you keep your elbows tucked in to your ribcage on the back of a turn and your hands up--in a lifting motion, not pulling to your knee and outwards.

Please let me know how it goes and thanks for your question.

Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder To Success Barrel Clinics
I BELIEVE TOUR 2009

~ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS ON EBARREL'S TRAINER CORNER~
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline scotfurn

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: stopping or slowing on back side of every barrel
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »
Thanks for your help.   I have shortened my reins alot and that has helped alot.   He is a big horse and i think he is trying and I am asking for his nose more than I should.   With the reins being shorter I am putting more pressure on the outside  of his neck to get him to get in position.   He's starting his turn great it is just on the very backside of the first barrel.   I can't seem to ride him two handed.  I guess it is age and balance issue with me.    I guess we will get there!  Thanks