8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Pleasee Help With My Filly And Barrel Training =)  (Read 3450 times)

Offline starstruckranchbarrelgirl

• Dinosaur!
  • Lil Redun First 2D Wrapn3 Gonzales
    • Starstruck Ranch Barrel Horses
Pleasee Help With My Filly And Barrel Training =)
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
Can I get tips on getting my filly Grayce to slide around the barrel? She can slide stop but she doesn't slide to slow down when she gets to the barrel. You know sorta how the NFR horses did. It may have to do with the speed put on the horse and the sudden slow down. Who knows?
Thanks to everyone for posting! Does anyone have any tips for a horse who is sensitive when you touch her legs.. SHE DOES NOT KICK, but she puts her ears back and looks like she may blow a gasket.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:44:10 PM by starstruckranchbarrelgirl »

• Dinosaur!
Re: Heyyy! Help here!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »
Anyone Wanna Chattt!???[/quote.

It's to cold to go ot and try it right now but..... Can anyone help me train my filly to have that 'sliding barrel turn'? I just can't seem to get her to do it. She has an awesome stop and slides when she does it but I can't do it around a barrel. Please comment or email me i'm working hard with her she is 3 years old and I want her to be slick and unstoppable. She is doing very well and is running almost a 16 just in practice pens without being pushed too hard.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:52:32 PM by starstruckranchbarrelgirl »

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
Re: Pleasee Help With My Filly And Barrel Training =)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
I don't know if you literally mean "slide" around the barrel or if you mean that flawless three stride turn. That's what everyone's aimin for. The perfect pocket....that takes lots and lots of slow work. Gradually adding speed. If they can't do it right at a walk.....trot....lope...they'll never be able to do it at full speed.

Alot of the time the ones you see on TV....and the winners at the big shows....kinda look like they slide around the barrel....but if you were to have a video of it..and slow it down..you'll see the three strides I'm talking about.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
I don't know if you literally mean "slide" around the barrel or if you mean that flawless three stride turn. That's what everyone's aimin for. The perfect pocket....that takes lots and lots of slow work. Gradually adding speed. If they can't do it right at a walk.....trot....lope...they'll never be able to do it at full speed.

Alot of the time the ones you see on TV....and the winners at the big shows....kinda look like they slide around the barrel....but if you were to have a video of it..and slow it down..you'll see the three strides I'm talking about.

Thanks so much for replying! Yeah I know that "Three Stride Turn." I've got a horse that does it. And trust me she has lot's of slow work done on her every day possible. I am  probobly just being impatiant....Like always ha ha.... I am proud of her because she is already hunting them which lots of Doc Bars And Jack Sprat Supreme horses do. If your looking for a stud Jack Sprat Supreme is a great producer. He's got over $63,000 in NCHA earnings. Anyways, thanks for the help!

• Mega Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:28:26 PM »
I'm certain there are others here that can give you more advice. But since she's only 3...I'd take it slow...and ask for speed later.

Practice doesn't make perfect.....Perfect Practice makes perfect. So keep at it.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »
I'm certain there are others here that can give you more advice. But since she's only 3...I'd take it slow...and ask for speed later.

Practice doesn't make perfect.....Perfect Practice makes perfect. So keep at it.

She will be 4 in a month. It's exciting to watch her progress in speed, attitude, and strength. Just as it is with any other horse. I'm sure there are others who could help me here too... Only if they would comment! Haha. And yes as my algebra 1 teacher would say Perfect Practice Makes Perfect.

• Mega Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »
Where are you located?

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
Where are you located?

We live in Round Rock, TX. We are abt 20 min from Georgetown... Basically we are on the outskirts o Austin. You?

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
I want to add something here....and not that Lilly's not right in her positive attitude of attacking a problem.  She is, but I approach teaching a student differently.

But I do NOT teach Practice makes Perfect...or practice perfect...however you want to put it...
I teach... PRACTICE FOR IMPROVEMENT.  Everyday.  We don't live in a perfect world.  Nothings perfect about anything we attempt.  To aim for perfection is a let down.  AIM FOR IMPROVEMENT.  If you aim for Improvement in one area of your barrel racing...you will find that other areas will start to improve on their own.  By working on loping a good circle for instance and being able to move your horse from 6 ft to 16 ft effortlessly will help you improve your ability to move a horse during a run going into the turn...Get it??
Find the ONE thing that you are lacking, or your horse is lacking in an educational skill away from the barrel pattern---and attack it!  And you will find that by doing that, when you take your horse back to the barrel pattern, their job will be much easier.  Does that make sense to you??  

I highly recommend too...ebarrelracing has some great areas to read in.  Trainers Corner is a good place for a young rider like yourself to go read and find answers.  Go to that section and take a peek.  There are great answers there from Martha Wright, our forum readers, and I even answer a "few"... lol..

Good Luck and enjoy.
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »
I want to add something here....and not that Lilly's not right in her positive attitude of attacking a problem.  She is, but I approach teaching a student differently.

But I do NOT teach Practice makes Perfect...or practice perfect...however you want to put it...
I teach... PRACTICE FOR IMPROVEMENT.  Everyday.  We don't live in a perfect world.  Nothings perfect about anything we attempt.  To aim for perfection is a let down.  AIM FOR IMPROVEMENT.  If you aim for Improvement in one area of your barrel racing...you will find that other areas will start to improve on their own.  By working on loping a good circle for instance and being able to move your horse from 6 ft to 16 ft effortlessly will help you improve your ability to move a horse during a run going into the turn...Get it??
Find the ONE thing that you are lacking, or your horse is lacking in an educational skill away from the barrel pattern---and attack it!  And you will find that by doing that, when you take your horse back to the barrel pattern, their job will be much easier.  Does that make sense to you??  

I highly recommend too...ebarrelracing has some great areas to read in.  Trainers Corner is a good place for a young rider like yourself to go read and find answers.  Go to that section and take a peek.  There are great answers there from Martha Wright, our forum readers, and I even answer a "few"... lol..

Good Luck and enjoy.

Thanks so much for the advice! This is my mom and I's account haha! Grayce is doing very well. I get the feeling you think I'm the only one training her haha! My mom and I are both working with her but she favors my work and Grayce listens to me better. I have read the trainers corner and it is great! (: Well anyways, Thanks so much for the advice it really got me to think!
-M

• Mega Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »
See...told ya there was much more better qualified folks out there to answer your post. ;D And Laura is absolutely right about practicin for improvement. I just didn't break it down that far, finding one area, and workin on it. But that is soooo true. And anytime over the years that my daughter has added somethin to her lil tool box...it takes a while to incorperate that into a run. What I'm sayin here...is gettin into the habit of doin that one particular thing at a certain time. Like wayyyyyy back when she first started...changing hands between the first and second barrel....that was a HUGE deal for her. And I had to holler for her to remember. But eventually it became habit, and just happens. But...to this day....when she's doin somethin new....like just last night...she informed me that MM and I will hafta holler at her when she's runnin Cash...because she's figured one more lil piece of the puzzle out...and just needs reminded to do it.

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
That sounds like my mom and I she is always hollering at me to do somthing while im running. I started changing hands when I was very little and it was funny because I would cofuse my left and right.... And then I'd argue with my mom that I did it right. She would eventually just let it go because she knew when I got older I would actually know which hand was left and which was right. I just recently figured out Grayce likes it better if I make the shhhh noise then if I kick her and she actually moves better and faster.  So during exhibitions (not running her yet) my mom is always going shhhhh!!! no kicking!!! shhhh!!!! no kicking!!!

• Mega Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
My daughter has several horses she runs...but has one that we just can't get figured out. He's a huge jigsaw puzzle. And his puzzle peices musta got scattered in every direction when the box was opened. I'm not sayin he's a nutcase or anything. Just that he's bein real hard to figure out. What to do..what not to do....spent a ton of money on vets tryin to find out if he's in pain..etc. And I do think that's been part of the problem.
Well yesterday afternoon.....after having him chiro'd a few weeks ago. she called me while we were puttin out hay for the cows. She was ridin him. And she said, "Mom....I think somethin's wrong....he slow loped to the first barrel and turned it perfect!!!!" haha that hasn't happened in a longggggg time. You'd hafta understand all that she's been thru with that horse...to know how frustrated she's been. The last run she made on him...she came outta the arena, pretty much disgusted with him..thru the reins up on his neck and said, "I'm done" and was in tears. She's not one to give up easily. She was just that frustrated with him and all we've tried with him. But...she's back on him..and hopefully things are movin in the right direction.

I think it's awesome that you have your mom's help. Kiddo's need incouragement...and support. Specially when things get frustrating. Everyone needs support and encouragement...not just youngsters.

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Aww well I'm glad for her how old is your daughter? I went to two WBRs this year. The first Waco wbr and the  2nd Waco WBR. On the first run I was in it to win it. I wanted to win so badly! I went in whipping my horse because I was excited and wanted to win and came out whipping my horse because I wanted everone to just know my horse was fast..... He knocked the 1st barrel. It was bad and I was mad at myself. Your horse is always just as scared to hit the barrel as you are.
    When I went to WBR finals in November we won money! And we were so excited... I am still very proud. But on the way to that first barrel I still pushed him but I check him, HARD. I was scared if I didn't he'd knock over the barrel again. He didn't need to be checked all he needed was a small whoa. If I hadn't checked him I probobly could have knocked a couple thousands off my time and would have WON the 4d not just place in it. BUT I am still very fortunate to have placed.
   My moms horse Lilly is so confusing and I have to remind my mom everytime she runs that lilly is only 6 she isn't ready to be consistant. Lilly will win the 6D friday then she will be in the top of the 2D the next. It is crazy and very frusturating! She will get it though.
   Anyway, Thanks for all your posts. Prayers for you!

-Mica Rucker..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:59:01 AM by starstruckranchbarrelgirl »

• Mega Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
My daughter is 18. And was lucky enough to win some money in the Youth 3D at the finals. She ran two horses...hit the first barrel with her good horse. And then she had to do a horse change for her second horse because he was limpin. She pulled up the 22 year old rehab rope horse and took him...and ran a 16.8 to place in the Youth.