8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Horse eating poop???  (Read 3086 times)

Offline 31796

Horse eating poop???
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »

any ideas of what on earth makes a horse eat another horses' poop?  I've never seen a horse do that, and i would really like to never see it again!!  lol

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: Horse eating poop???
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »
Natural pro-biotics for his gut.....
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
Here's something I copied for ya:

horses sometimes eat manure when they need certain bacteria called probiotics (meaning "for life") that aid in digestion. Because horses eat mostly grass and roughage, they rely on these microorganisms to ferment and break down their food. Without probiotics, horses cannot properly digest their food.

Probiotics do not occur in large enough numbers for a horse to acquire naturally. A newborn foal is born without any type of digestive bacteria but soon receives some from contact with his mother or other horses. These bacteria settle in the horse's digestive tract and multiply. When a horse is under stress, bacteria populations can suffer which can lead to improper digestion, and in extreme cases, colic in your horse. Administering antibiotics can also kill off these good bacteria, which is why some veterinarians recommend giving probiotics along with antibiotics.

Bacteria grow accustomed to an individual horse's diet and different horses will have differing probiotic populations. A sudden change of diet can shock the intestinal bacteria and cause discomfort or colic in a horse.

Because many horses today are fed refined grains and grasses, instead of a natural diet, horses may suffer from microbial imbalance.

Probiotics can be purchased at a feed store and given as a supplement. They are supposed to be eaten and take up residence in your horse's digestive tract. While there is little scientific evidence that they significantly improve digestion, they have no side effects, so some horse owners do include them in their feed regiment.

Eating manure may also be a sign of vitamin or mineral deficiency. Always provide mineral and salt blocks, and contact your veterinarian if this strange behavior persists.
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline 31796

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
thanks mrs cantwell that was great information!!

Offline candystarbarrels

• Mega Member
  • With God ALL things are possible!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »
Our horse does it. We have tried everything on him, and he still does it!!! Kind of gross!!! We finally gave up on breaking him of the habit!!
As long as you can't imagine it, as long as you can't see it, then it is not going to happen for you!

Offline 31796

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:35:46 PM »
Our horse does it. We have tried everything on him, and he still does it!!! Kind of gross!!! We finally gave up on breaking him of the habit!!
Yes it is VERY gross!! lol - makes me wanna ralf ! He acts like it's a gourmet meal !! EWWWWWW!!! I guess maybe I'll just have to turn my head from now on....lol

Offline gobabygo

• Fossil
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »
My horses are turd munchers too. Sometimes I think its out of bordom.

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
It's such an easy fix, really - run some probiotics thru them (or put some yogurt in their food) and set out some minerals (loose or blocks) - don't "ralf" or try to break them of the habit - it's likely a diet deficiency rather than boredom!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline 31796

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
It's such an easy fix, really - run some probiotics thru them (or put some yogurt in their food) and set out some minerals (loose or blocks) - don't "ralf" or try to break them of the habit - it's likely a diet deficiency rather than boredom!
I have mineral and salt blocks available at all times but he doesn't seem too interested in those so I will pick up some probiotics today and try that...thank you for your help!

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:59:18 AM »
You are so welcome - that is what this forum is all about - asking questions of people who have already been there, know what I mean?? 

You might try moving your blocks around - you know how curious they are, same thing - diff spot - whole new something!!  But the probiotics really helps.  Had one that had a funny smell to him - hit him with a couple tubes of it and cleared it all up.
Miriam Mize

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
Mineral blocks are 88 to 93% salt. Very little mineral there whatsoever. If your horse has a mineral deficiency...loose mineral 12:12 will do them more good than the blocks. Don't get me wrong tho....loose minerals have salt in them....but they have way more of the minerals horses need. Mine come up and eat it every day. I do have a salt block out for them...but very rarely do you see them lickin it. Mostly because they get what they need from the loose mineral.

But too like others have stated....give him some probiotics and you should see a dramatic difference in his poop eating.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline 31796

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »
So the loose minerals.....you just leave it out free choice or only give them so much?

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
I think Lil just leaves out a dish of it stuck down in one of her fence posts - she posted a pic of it in here once.  They each take turns coming up and eating it ... and she is right about the blocks.  My feed store guy told me that if I was feeding high quality feed the blocks are redundant and a waste of money.  That a pure salt block was better for them.  But i think the 12:12 minerals work wonders - judging by how Lil's herd looks since she started her "minerals in the dog food bowl in the concrete fence post" program - LOL!!
Miriam Mize

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
I do leave it out free choice when it's not rainin every other day. I don't like for it to be out and get wet. They'll still eat it after it gets wet....but ya know..I just think some of it goes away or whatever if left out in large amounts. MM's right I put some in a bowl in my brick fence post. LOL When weathers wet...I just take and dump some in each of their buckets...they'll come along eventually durin the day and eat it. I don't measure it. I want them to get as much as they need. Normally that's between 3 and 4 oz per head per day. But when you first put it out....they will devour it for a few days until they get what they need and then slack off to the normal amounts.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline candystarbarrels

• Mega Member
  • With God ALL things are possible!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
We tried loose, blocks, jolly balls, supplements and all. Talked to a vet friend and have tried everything. He is not as bad anymore, but still does it!!!! We just let him do it now!!! Sorry, but I am not much help on this subject. Great helpful tips by everyone else!!!
As long as you can't imagine it, as long as you can't see it, then it is not going to happen for you!