General Category > General Discussion

Let's talk about teeth floating..........

(1/6) > >>

Pam Cantwell:
Boring maybe but much less controversial and soooooo needed on every horse! Maybe a young person or a beginner horse person will learn something from this thread.

Julie:
Haha...I like the last choice.  Unfortunatly newbies don't always know this for a long time!  I would like to have mine floated every 6 months but I do try to get it done before a year is up.

Pam Cantwell:
Thanks! Ya'll have to vote to see the results!

mammadearborn:
I have my horses teeth floated when they need it, usually between 6 mo. and 1 yr.  Some hores are harder on their teeth than others, that why I try to keep a check.

Pam Cantwell:
Maybe this will help someone too.........

Floating a horse's teeth should be a routine practice. Their teeth grow constantly throughout their life.     Their teeth can grow into sharp "points" - so sharp that the horse can severely cut his tongue and inside of his cheeks in normal chewing as well as causing mouth ulcers. Floating is a process in which a large file (a float) is used to file down any sharp "points". How often this is necessary depends on the horse much the way one human's hair grows faster than another.  Most common is between 6 months to a year.

Not only can this cause a horse to "act up" out of pain while riding but could also lead to colic or impaction from not being able to chew their food properly. It can also make a horse body sore from the tension and pain.
If you see grain falling from your horse's mouth, or he or she is acting different while riding or taking a bit, please have their teeth checked. Check with the previous owner and see if they ever had a "float" performed.

If your horse loses a tooth, the other remaining tooth below it may grow too long also. Bad, rotten teeth can be painful too and may need to be pulled.

Points on a horse's teeth are very painful! See an equine veterinarian or a very reputable and knowledgeable equine dentist!

P.S. If you ride a gelding, you might want to have him "beaned" at each float session...........Nuther subject! Someone else can have this one! LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version