Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

How often do you have your horse's teeth floated?

Once a year
21 (84%)
Every 6 months
3 (12%)
I didn't know you were supposed to
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Let's talk about teeth floating..........  (Read 16300 times)

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Let's talk about teeth floating..........
« on: January 07, 2005, 11:12:46 AM »
Boring maybe but much less controversial and soooooo needed on every horse! Maybe a young person or a beginner horse person will learn something from this thread.
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
Re: Let's talk about teeth floating..........
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 11:16:13 AM »
Haha...I like the last choice.  Unfortunatly newbies don't always know this for a long time!  I would like to have mine floated every 6 months but I do try to get it done before a year is up.
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 11:21:12 AM »
Thanks! Ya'll have to vote to see the results!
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline mammadearborn

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 11:23:16 AM »
I have my horses teeth floated when they need it, usually between 6 mo. and 1 yr.  Some hores are harder on their teeth than others, that why I try to keep a check.
Love Generously, Praise Loudly, Live Fully

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 11:54:52 AM »
Maybe this will help someone too.........

Floating a horse's teeth should be a routine practice. Their teeth grow constantly throughout their life.     Their teeth can grow into sharp "points" - so sharp that the horse can severely cut his tongue and inside of his cheeks in normal chewing as well as causing mouth ulcers. Floating is a process in which a large file (a float) is used to file down any sharp "points". How often this is necessary depends on the horse much the way one human's hair grows faster than another.  Most common is between 6 months to a year.

Not only can this cause a horse to "act up" out of pain while riding but could also lead to colic or impaction from not being able to chew their food properly. It can also make a horse body sore from the tension and pain.
If you see grain falling from your horse's mouth, or he or she is acting different while riding or taking a bit, please have their teeth checked. Check with the previous owner and see if they ever had a "float" performed.

If your horse loses a tooth, the other remaining tooth below it may grow too long also. Bad, rotten teeth can be painful too and may need to be pulled.

Points on a horse's teeth are very painful! See an equine veterinarian or a very reputable and knowledgeable equine dentist!

P.S. If you ride a gelding, you might want to have him "beaned" at each float session...........Nuther subject! Someone else can have this one! LOL

Offline cowgirlsrule87

• Veteran Member
  • Me at the 2005 THSRA Finals
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 12:03:44 PM »
so are you suppose to get them done every 6 months i do mine every year because between school and workin part time at mcdonalds i dont always have the money do them every 6 months!
The Epps Girls!!!

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 12:07:54 PM »
You are fine! I'm so glad you have it done once a year! Some people don't do it all! Some horses teeth grow way faster than others so they need it more often. Your horse is very lucky to have you as an owner!!!

Offline jenijill

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • pray for our soldiers
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 12:21:31 PM »
I normally do mine when I have coggins done.  which of course is every year.  If the vet  was to tell me i might need to do it more often then I would. (hi there)
it is Gods responsibilty to forgive the terrorist and it is the US Military's responsibilty to arrange the meeting

Offline Jess00

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 12:40:05 PM »
I normally do mine when I have coggins done.  which of course is every year.  If the vet  was to tell me i might need to do it more often then I would. (hi there)

That's a good rule to follow.  I never forget when my coggins are due, but never remember when they are due for floating, I may have to try that.

Offline hwhranch

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 01:00:58 PM »
I saw the dentist every 6 months for 1 1/2 years until he said they were all good to go for a year.  They needed some work that he didn't want to do all at once so we had 6 month intervals.  I had always had them checked every year but am really glad I found this equine dentist.  My vet did a  really good job but it was getting to much for him.

Offline cowgirlsrule87

• Veteran Member
  • Me at the 2005 THSRA Finals
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »
You are fine! I'm so glad you have it done once a year! Some people don't do it all! Some horses teeth grow way faster than others so they need it more often. Your horse is very lucky to have you as an owner!!!

well thanks pam i love my horses and if they need it more often then i would do it more often its just hard to have the money when you are 17 going to school and trying to work a part time job! oh ya that reminds me does anyone know where i can go to apply for good scholarships! i wont to go to tarelton in stephenville to become a equine vet!
The Epps Girls!!!

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 01:52:28 PM »
I have a very good equine dentist.  She said, young horses usually should be done every six months because their teeth will grow faster than the older horses.  When I had Flash and Breaker done, Flash's teeth were really bad ( he is a 4 year old) and Breaker's teeth were not bad at all (he is 18).  I check my horses with my hands.  If they feel pointed to me, I get them done.  Also, if they drop feed or have other problems or the vet says to have them checked, I do it.

Pam, it would not let me do the poll.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 02:01:57 PM by Sherry »
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.
          That is why it is called the present.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 02:13:11 PM »
I was told  that you could throw a handful of whole corn into the feed daily and that would help with the sharp points.
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 02:46:41 PM »
I've never heard of this but just to clarify something about corn: Uncleaned corn (like deer corn or duck corn) bought at feed stores can contain aphlatoxins (sp) and can be deadly to horses. The corn in horse feed has been cleaned and checked.

Offline playindueces

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 03:31:03 PM »
I do mine to once a year with the coggins, but if I notice they are dropping food or weight I take them to have them checked.  the vet told me when they get a little older you don't have to do it is often on some horses, but I still get them checked anyway.
Pam