Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

How often do you have your horse's teeth floated?

Once a year
21 (84%)
Every 6 months
3 (12%)
I didn't know you were supposed to
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Let's talk about teeth floating..........  (Read 16225 times)

Offline featherg

• Charter Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
    • Feather G Ranch
Re: Let's talk about teeth floating..........
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 06:22:35 PM »
Mine gets it once a year unless they show signs of needing it sooner. Then to the dentist they go
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.
www.TotalHealthEnhance.com

Offline SparkplugsMama

• Global Moderator
  • Dinosaur!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »
I learned (thanks to Sparkplug) that dropping feed is also a sign that they may be having trouble with the TMJ joint. I know the J in TMJ represents the word "joint" but it looked weird if I tried to say TM joint. Anyway, TMJ trouble in horses is similar to how it bothers people. I had his teeth floated and he continued to hold his head sideways and spill feed, had him checked and his teeth were fine. I even stuck my hand (and half my arm) to feel for myself. Thanks to chiro maintenance we're doing better.

As creatures of habit, we perpetuate (sp??) what we are taught/shown as children. I did not appreciate the importance of proper dental care in horses until a couple of years ago. Horses we had back then were ranch horses and the only time they saw a vet was once a year for coggins test. Cuts got cut-heal or bacon grease, swollen legs just meant they needed to be out in the pasture, and there wasn't an "attitude" that couldn't be fixed with a shorter tie-down or a heavier bit. So don't feel "dumb" if you've never had your horses teeth checked.....but do consider making them an appointment soon, they'll thank you for it  <NOT WORTHY>
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." Thoreau

Offline got2run3

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 09:40:38 PM »
I get my mares done at least 2x's a year, she has "soft" teeth, when she starts dropping feed, or shaking her head it's time to go.
I used to be like others just have them checked once a year when they got their coggins done,

Offline Prissyjewelthief

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 11:08:46 PM »
Yeah, I didn't know until this last summer that they needed to have their teeth floated every year, I always thought that it was when they started showing signs, like fighting the bit and becoming hard mouthed, not taking the bit and bridle, rearing, dropping feed from their mouth, losing weight, having tons of undigested and unchewed material in their manure, etc. I felt SO bad for my poor baby, because when she got them checked out she had wolf teeth that needed to be pulled, and these awfully painful looking and sharp caps that needed to come off her molars.... I'm not a harsh handed rider, but I still was so surprised that her mouth was so bad off because she's always taken nothing more than a light touch to communicate with her; she seemed to be putting on weight normally for her age; her manure looked normal as well; if food fell out of her mouth I couldn't tell because when she eats she keeps her nose down in the bucket.... I wish I had the money to get her teeth checked every 6 months now, but it's SO expensive!  <$$$>  I am thankful that there is a vet nearby that can do it though, not having it available is worse than spending the money every year!

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »
My old horse has to have his done at least twice a year. He has a whole tooth and part of another tooth missing so the opposing teeth grow and cause problems faster than on the "normal" horses. The others I just watch them closely, but they get them done at least once a year.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 11:32:49 PM »
I know when I drink a bunch of Dr.pepper when I'm videoing and can't go to the bathroom my back teeth start floating. Is that the same thing?
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 10:45:57 AM »
Bob, you are about as funny as a rubber crutch.............. >CLOWN<

How come no one is voting?
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline hwhranch

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
I can't find the vote option.  It just shows the results and nowhere to click to vote.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 01:58:20 PM »
Sorry bout that! Don't know how it got locked..........See if it works now!  :)/\\
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline jenijill

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • pray for our soldiers
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »
Pam, thats just that old age creeping up on you  lol <HUGS>
it is Gods responsibilty to forgive the terrorist and it is the US Military's responsibilty to arrange the meeting

Offline Rita Barnett

• Elite Member
  • Rita & Willows Starduster ( Booger Dan )
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 06:17:14 PM »
I think Pam maybe like me  I aint old  I'm still 39 several times over!   on the floating teeth   My old horse is a hard keeper  and I make sure I check his teeth several times a year  I just make sure the sharp points are taken off   and I tried the whole corn and I   still have to have his teeth floated more than the others.  hes old and he shouldn't have to have his teeth floated that much.

Offline BrownEyesAfire

• Veteran Member
  • Rodeo Diva!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 08:41:51 AM »
I get my horses teeth floated once a year. Or if they need it sooner. I do have to vent here though!! I have taken my horse to get his teeth floated by two different vets in the last two years. And about three months ago he started dropping weight and looking poor. My Uncle wanted to get his teeth floated by his guy that floats teeth (not a vet) and he pulled a wolf tooth and cut some awful points out of the back of his mouth. I don't understand why the vet board passed the law banning non-practicing vets from floating teeth. Every time I have had his teeth floated before by  a vet they whin about having to float his teeth. They don't want to do it and then they do a poor job and my horses suffer.
I understand why they passed the law but I guess it just bothers me I wish they would do a better job!
Just as a side note I am friends with Dr. Dickenson and he does a wonderful job!!! I just live a little far from him!!
Alright I am done venting!! Vets are just my sore spot right now!!
Everything happens for a reason!