8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Help for filly that always seems to need the chiropractor  (Read 6027 times)

Offline fc06446

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Help for filly that always seems to need the chiropractor
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:04:01 PM »
I have a 4 yr old filly that is cow bred and really works a barrel.  Because she works so hard when she turns, I had a chiropractor check her late this fall.  She was a mess.  Torn hip muscle and out all over.  And this little girl never quit working with all these things wrong with her!  Chiro confined her to 3 weeks stall rest on that visit.

As a precaution, I had her checked again today.  And once again, she's a wreck.  The chiro said both her knees were out, that old torn hip muscle was sore as well as her back.  He didn't understand why she was continuing to work.  But she was giving me no indication that anything was wrong. She's running full speed on the barrels and inhaling them like nothing is wrong.  My guess is she's going to be one of the big hearted ones.

Is there anything a person can do for their horse that will stop them from becoming so sore?  I use a good saddle that fits well.  I ride decent enough so I think I can minimize the effect of both of those.  I run her 2 times on the barrels twice a week and that's all the barrel work she gets.  Any suggestions on supplements (she's on joint care "just because") or exercises that might help keep the chiro away?

Offline debandbeau

• Da Sheriff
  • Mega Member
  • Home of the Brave!
    • Tahitian NONI Juice
Re: Help for filly that always seems to need the chiropractor
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »
I would suggest that you talk to someone about her nutrition.  I am learning so much about how absolutely essential your feeding program is to the overall condition of a horse!!!

I'd also suggest that you try to get her on as many natural supplements as you can because synthetic additives are so hard on a horse........she may do really well with some natural supplements and a good feed that she can break down easily.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you the name of a vet that I really respect...........she can talk to you about your nutrition program.  If you are in it for the long haul with this horse, it's worth a million dollars to get her nutrition right. 

Just my humble opinion.............. EMBARASSED
"The ONLY thing that should be on your mind when you go down that alleyway is doing the best you can to help your horse do the best he can."     Kappy Allen

www.tahitiannoni.com/rodeo

Downthealley

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 01:42:11 PM »

I am thinking, maybe get a second opinion  ??? ???   

Im not questioning your chiros ability but maybe someone else will SEE something your chiro doesnt. Have you had your mare checked by a vet?

Offline fc06446

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 02:06:30 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I have thought of the second opinion but I have been unable to this point to find the other chiropractor that is in my area.  It's driving me nuts since he's local and I can't find anyone that has his contact information on them.  If anyone knows how to contact Rocky Hapney around the Floresville, Tx area, let me know!

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
I would have to agree with Alley.  I would get another opinion. Before when my horses needed an adjustment, they let me know it real quick, no matter if they had a big heart or not.  I have never heard of knees being out,  that's new to me.  What about a equine massage therapist?  Have you taken her to one of them and see what they say about their soreness?   I let Pam look at my  horse in SA and she told me several places on my horse that I knew was sore before she worked on him.  So many times our horses have aches and pains that we are never even aware of.  Good luck with your filly. Do you live in Texas or OK or close?  If so, I can recommend someone
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline fc06446

• Novice Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:36:39 AM »
Julie:

I live in San Antonio, Tx.

Offline BrownEyesAfire

• Veteran Member
  • Rodeo Diva!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »
I know Rocky he comes to Stephenville every once in a while. I really liked Rocky but I used him as a MASSAGE Therapist. I didn't remember him being a licensed chiro. As a matter of fact he worked on my horse for three hours and it was really neat to watch him change colors as his circulation started to improve and then I got him to the chiro. after he was loose and relaxed.
I hope that helps!
Everything happens for a reason!

Offline featherg

• Charter Member
  • Elite Member
    • Feather G Ranch
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 08:22:02 AM »
Ditto on the 2nd opinion! Mine sure lets me know when hes out somewhere and fast like!
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.
www.TotalHealthEnhance.com

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »
I agree....get another opinion.

Also - being adjusted late in the fall and again now really isn't ALWAYS needing one. Mine are worked on (massage/chiro together) every 4-6 weeks and sometimes more often.

I can give you information on my lady if you are in Texas. She travels all over.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.