8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Youth in open classes  (Read 15652 times)

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
Youth in open classes
« on: January 17, 2005, 06:33:50 PM »
I overheard a lady complaining a while back about the youth being allowed to ride in 2 classes and possibly taking top pay checks in both classes.  I know this board has a few youth riders that post here..and I think I know what their answer would be, but I would like to hear from adults if it matters to anyone whether or not youth should be allowed to ride in youth and open.  I know some of them ride in the open because there are more riders in open which means more payback and there is usually more added money.  It really makes no difference to me, the youth just adds more money to the pot with more riders.  I think most of her gripe was NBHA shows.
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline mammadearborn

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Youth in open classes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »
NBHA, Buzz Post, D & G, if the youths can pay the entry fees I personally see no reason they shouldn't run in the open.  Doesn't bother me one bit.
Love Generously, Praise Loudly, Live Fully

Offline featherg

• Charter Member
  • Elite Member
    • Feather G Ranch
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 06:41:25 PM »
Im with mamma on this one  <COLOR GRIN> If they can pay the fees more power to em, the more the merrier  >PEACE<
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.
www.TotalHealthEnhance.com

Offline canchasinpaints

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 06:52:01 PM »
I don't see why they can't ride both. I saw some friends of the family go through this once with there sons. They went to a big team roping and they where giving away a truck and trailer. well there boys took both neither one of them was old enough to drive the truck well alone pull the trailer. All the adults got mad and said it wasn't fair. The way i look at it if they can pay the fee they can play.  <COLOR GRIN>
Home of Tovero Chestnut Stallion CMF SONNY JOE

Hauling partners are like spouses.....they need to be inspirational or elsewhere

Offline Rita Barnett

• Elite Member
  • Rita & Willows Starduster ( Booger Dan )
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 07:13:40 PM »
I see no problems  I wish they would do away with the youth and the senior classes  and just have a barrel race  with the 4 and 5 d's  there is no reason for the other classes  but thats just my thoughts only

Offline JY

• Novice Member
  • Get The Money!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 07:38:44 PM »
Well Im with everyone else, if they can pay their fees why not?? :()&
Home of Bright Yellow Jet

Offline jenijill

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • pray for our soldiers
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 09:12:10 PM »
If the youth wants to run in both then I say let them.  I get beat by them all the time. >PEACE<
it is Gods responsibilty to forgive the terrorist and it is the US Military's responsibilty to arrange the meeting

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 10:44:21 PM »
I see no problems  I wish they would do away with the youth and the senior classes  and just have a barrel race  with the 4 and 5 d's  there is no reason for the other classes  but thats just my thoughts only

I kinda like that idea too.... just have one big class so the money wouldn't be split in all directions. (but they have those now don't they!)  I'm just happy to get to run...I don't care who I run with...it's all in fun for me.  Maybe the lady was a little upset because youth were taking "her" money.   <$$$>
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 05:06:07 AM »
Ok here my take on it ....... I have no problem running against any one and if the youth want to run open and whip our hineys lmao more power to them...BUT I think if you are good enough to run in the open then stay in the open and leave the youth for less experienced or less well mounted riders ,and here is why I say this ,most associations have a youth class for the up and comming more or less beginning riders 12 and under 9 and under you get my drift these classes are designed  to let the younger kids compete against each other and give them the opportunity to win and build confidence in the arena ,then you have every year inevitably one little kid that can come in and blow the open away much less a bunch of beginning riders and knocks them in the dust , so I say if your gonna run with the big dogs stay with the big dogs and leave the youth classes alone  [..]

edited to add no I do not have kids competing just an observation after several years on the board of directors of an assoc and several years of competing
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 05:11:53 AM by ITDASH »
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline LazyHorse

• Novice Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 09:02:57 AM »
I have got to agree with ITDASH - if a youngster can enter the open and spank the grown-ups, more power to 'em, but they should stay out of the youth classes at that point.

Offline Dailyjld

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 10:32:03 AM »
Amen to that.......Stay out of the youth and let the beginner have their chance......Laura

kmh

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:49:14 AM »
I would like to know why not?  I just don't find a good answer for now letting ANYONE run in the open. 

OPEN -  not shut or blocked up; without lid or door;  not enclosed, covered or exclusive; give access to; make a hole in; OPPURTUNITY; without concealment;

...do I need to continue...?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:52:08 AM by Karol »

Offline hwhranch

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 11:01:47 AM »
My first thoughts were to get rid of aged classes all together and put everybody in the same pot.  But I agree with Lisa,  There are kids and seniors who don't feel comfortable running against everybody else.  The should have their chance to run with their piers.  I do think if you're good enough to win money in the open you should not step into the youth class and "take" all the money.

Offline cowgirlsrule87

• Veteran Member
  • Me at the 2005 THSRA Finals
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 11:49:07 AM »
ok i have two little sisters and one of them likes to run the open because she always wins the youth but on the other hand i have another sister who has to run the youth because she doesn't stand a chance in the open!
The Epps Girls!!!

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »
My first thoughts were to get rid of aged classes all together and put everybody in the same pot.  But I agree with Lisa,  There are kids and seniors who don't feel comfortable running against everybody else.  The should have their chance to run with their piers.  I do think if you're good enough to win money in the open you should not step into the youth class and "take" all the money.

Do you think there is a way to have a youth and senior class  that caters specifically to youth that are just starting out and seniors that don't feel comfortable riding in the open?   I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you think people would be honest enough to ride in the classes that they need or feel comfortable to be in?  I think your idea is great, I would be afraid there would be some that might take advantage of certain situations. Is someone (running the jp) going to have the backbone to say "Little Sue can't ride in the youth because she just won Josey Jr. World (or some big show)  I guess that is why so few have tried it because it's too hard to police.  But thats JMO
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 12:40:48 PM by Julie »