8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Youth in open classes  (Read 15655 times)

Offline jenijill

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • pray for our soldiers
Re: Youth in open classes
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 12:48:15 PM »
I dont think that willwork because look at what happened with novice horse classes,  excuses are well he hasnt won anymoney with me but he was an open rodeo horse.  or i thought you only had to count money won this year, people just arent that honest lets face it (((((((HUGS))))))))
it is Gods responsibilty to forgive the terrorist and it is the US Military's responsibilty to arrange the meeting

Offline got2run3

• Veteran Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 01:01:18 PM »
Didn't there used to be an assoc. that kinda of did that, like number you and your horse, at your ablility level, then you basically all ran in open, but you only ran against the ones numbered like you?,  Kinda of like how the team ropers do. 

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 03:56:35 PM »
Well, I think that they are just scared of the youth. lmao! So what they are saying is: they dont want the youth to run in the open, but the senior class can?! Thats just a little bit stupid I think. We work just as hard to work our horses like everyone else does, the youth and senior classes are like an extra option or advantage. The only time I ever enter the youth is if there is added money or the payout is gonna be big $$$. OR if i screw up big time in the open. And the only time I dont enter youth under most of those circumstances is if they are allowed to declare. I am totally against declaring your time. You pay the money then you should run it.  (hi there)
Dont try and be a bad@$$ over the keyboard.

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 05:20:56 PM »
My first thoughts were to get rid of aged classes all together and put everybody in the same pot.  But I agree with Lisa,  There are kids and seniors who don't feel comfortable running against everybody else.  The should have their chance to run with their piers.  I do think if you're good enough to win money in the open you should not step into the youth class and "take" all the money.

Do you think there is a way to have a youth and senior class  that caters specifically to youth that are just starting out and seniors that don't feel comfortable riding in the open?   I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you think people would be honest enough to ride in the classes that they need or feel comfortable to be in?  I think your idea is great, I would be afraid there would be some that might take advantage of certain situations. Is someone (running the jp) going to have the backbone to say "Little Sue can't ride in the youth because she just won Josey Jr. World (or some big show)  I guess that is why so few have tried it because it's too hard to police.  But thats JMO

Julie actually its very easy to police you run one or the other but not both if you would rather stay and run at very little added money in youth or sr, events then do so but if your good enough to run in the open and enter to do so you  may not run  in  the youth or sr
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 10:56:49 PM »
Sorry Lisa I disagree Just because they run in the open don't mean they are great riders. If it says 12 and under then the 12 and unders should be able to run no matter what. Or maybe they should call it 12 and under novice riders. Ask tamet about that kind of stuff when she was 7 they didn't want her to run in the youth classes because she always won. Then as a 7 year old she competed against the 13 and older but then they didn't want her to compete there because she always won. Youth means youth winner or not. 13 and over means 13 and over no matter what.  And Srs means over a certain age. Open means it is OPEN to everyone no matter what age. So yes it is fair if they are a youth and can win in the open too. Now if you were 21 running in a 13 and under class now that's not fair. If you were 36 running in the 40 and over class now that's not fair.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Rita Barnett

• Elite Member
  • Rita & Willows Starduster ( Booger Dan )
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »
OK   I had a mind change    I posted  to do away with the youth and the senior classes   but   the fees are lower  in those classes   and that may be how some racers are able to get to run.   Just because  your good  most chances  are that you work hard to get there.   and  you may inspire others  to work hard  to better  their riding skills.

Offline Dawnya

• Official Wal-Mart Greeter
  • Posse Member
  • Elite Member
    • www.roadkillmercantile.com
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »
The opposite happened to me.  When I bought my black mare (pro mare) I was ran in both.  They would 'card' me to run in the youth!  I believe the youth back then was 19 or 20, so I was cutting it close anyway.  Sooooo, my answer is as everyone else.  If they pay their fees, they can run.
Beware of paranoia

Offline hwhranch

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 10:14:09 AM »
I wish there was a way to keep the youth more of a Novice class for all the beginner type kids.  I guess they only way to do that is have a really cheap entry fee.  That would keep all the but kickers out.  I guess I am thinking more along the novice lines and not age grouping.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 11:45:34 AM »
I wish there was a way to keep the youth more of a Novice class for all the beginner type kids.  I guess they only way to do that is have a really cheap entry fee.  That would keep all the but kickers out.  I guess I am thinking more along the novice lines and not age grouping.

I agree...kids have to start barrel racing somewhere and not everyone likes going to playdays to get some practice runs in.  Maybe a $5 or $8 fee and even if they win just a little, I think they will be excited to actually win something.  But I don't ever see that happening either.
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline txdad

• Mr. March
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 12:12:22 PM »
One of our local Org's has a $10 entry for the youth classes.  We use it to try new horses or for training.  The kids save their good horses for the open.

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 08:39:58 AM »
Our association has 4D but full sec splits for the Youth.  The last division is great for those just beginning.  With lower entry fees, it encourages the fast ones to move up to the open.  However, our group allows anyone to run in what ever class they qualify for.  I agree it is hard to declare the Novice class and that is why most clubs did away with the novice and figured people would fall in the 4th division.  However, a lot of people like to run with the young horses.  We do the $500 Novice class because after the first $500 we found it was hard to verify how much a horse had actually made.
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 05:39:49 PM »
I find that if you go to playdays that have jackpots, the entry fees are like twice as low compared to most jackpots. But the only weird thing is is that there is no splits, no processing fees, no nothing like that. It sorta like a straight up barrel race for the all ppl. If you have a problem with gettin beat THAT bad by the youth, Im sorry, but who ever you heard talking is a pretty much sore loser. Being youth and senior has many advantages, sorta like Mc Donalds or Golden Corral. 12 and under and the seniors get lots of discounts. Do ppl gripe about that too?! If they have a problem about it, then dont run there. Not every barrel race is going to change everything just to please you, ppl theses days, they dont have nothin better to do than gripe.  :no:  :-\\\\\\\\  ::)

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 06:59:22 PM »
Shelby, that's what makes the world go 'round.  You're right you're not going to please everyone and one person complaining is probably not going to change things (unless it's something like removing a Bible or 10 Commandments from Gov. offices  :!)  It seems like everyone agrees it doesn't matter about youth (or Seniors) riding in the open...like someone said....open is open for EVERYONE.  I just overheard  this lady and was wondering if anyone else feels the same way.   Maybe she was thinking it's not fair for youth or Seniors to ride in 2 classes and take money in both...I don't know...I didn't hear all of the conversation.  But you are right...she may be a sore loser.   :((((nI was just wanted a good friendly discussion is all.  I like to hear other peoples views on things.    BB)
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 07:46:53 AM »
Oh I know this was just my opinion,hope ya dint take it the wrong way

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 09:09:20 AM »
Well, what about adults that are the size of Youth????? There are alot of Jr's out there bigger then me and I'm 30!!
Stefanie Medland