8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Youth in open classes  (Read 15653 times)

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
Re: Youth in open classes
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 11:32:06 AM »
I think that barrel racing has become such a large event that you will never please everyone. Heck - even when it was a small sport and the 4D was invented, it was in an attempt to please more people....right???

Of course, the same people griping about getting beat by the youth probably never even considered barrel racing prior to the invent of the 4D. That the whole point of the D's. To handicap the slower people, whethere it be a youth or an adult.

Suck it up and get over it if you get beat by a kid. Chances are that kid may have been riding and working longer at this anyhow.

Guess I am just against people who try to "narrow" the competition. I would rather run against 1000 people and take a chance of getting beat by a kid than to run against 10, win and only take home $50.

Personally, I work very hard to have very nice horses and I think I do an alright job with my training. I miss some of the old "straight" races that still paid good. I remember hauling my old horse "back in the day" and the open was a straight race, $40 fees, winners took it all. You may only have 30 or so in the class, but that still paid better than winning the 1D at a race with the same fees against twice as many people.

I also don't remember the adults whining then when I would beat them (at the time I was about 15). In fact, most encouraged me to do even better and haul even harder.

People are doing everything thing they can anymore to try to "even" the playing field, when in all reality, its just a way to knock out more of the competition. There's even a futurity coming up out in the east that will be adding weights to the jockeys to make them a minimum of 175#. I can tell you that if I had a futurity colt this year, we would sure knock that one off our list. That's just ridiculous.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline mustangman

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 12:27:33 PM »
I don't have any problem with youth riding in the open class, that's why it's called the open. In the interest of promoting barrel racing and encouraging more youth to get involved a young rider that is riding in the open classes and winning should stay out of the youth class. Although a barrel race where every horse has the same weight on his back is interesting, a straight up barrel race like they do in thoroughbred racing. See which horse is the best when given the same racing conditions.

Offline jenijill

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • pray for our soldiers
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 12:46:55 PM »
Yeah but in racing they dont all carry the same weight, that is why they have handicappers. <()>
it is Gods responsibilty to forgive the terrorist and it is the US Military's responsibilty to arrange the meeting

Offline mustangman

• Novice Member
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 01:19:08 PM »
Actually they do all carry the same weight, the handicappers are there to help you judge a horse on his speed rating, past workouts, and past performances. They allow older horses to carry more weight but never more than a 2 or 3 pound difference.that's why they weigh the jockeys before and after every race before making it official. The young 2 yr olds carry the same weight, that's why i thought it was an interesting idea. A futurity barrel race is about the young horses and what future they have. A 2 yr old with a 115lbs is always gonna have an advantage over a 2 yr old carrying 160lbs. I just thought it was and interesting concept.

Offline Lil Welder

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2005, 07:51:12 AM »
Well heres my 2cents on this if a 9yr. old or any age for that matter beats me and paid his/hers entry fees just like me then more power to them, YOUR ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR COMPITION!!!!

Offline SG

• Extreme Member
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2005, 08:46:29 PM »
Ok here my take on it ....... I have no problem running against any one and if the youth want to run open and whip our hineys lmao more power to them...BUT I think if you are good enough to run in the open then stay in the open and leave the youth for less experienced or less well mounted riders ,and here is why I say this ,most associations have a youth class for the up and comming more or less beginning riders 12 and under 9 and under you get my drift these classes are designed  to let the younger kids compete against each other and give them the opportunity to win and build confidence in the arena ,then you have every year inevitably one little kid that can come in and blow the open away much less a bunch of beginning riders and knocks them in the dust , so I say if your gonna run with the big dogs stay with the big dogs and leave the youth classes alone  [..]

edited to add no I do not have kids competing just an observation after several years on the board of directors of an assoc and several years of competing
LISA I TOTALLY AGREE
CHOOSE a CLASS.....

Offline barrelracer4sure

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »
I agree with Lisa on this one. If you are good enough(or not) to run in the open. Go for it. BUT don't run open AND youth. Pick one. Most of yall on here said you  your kids run their good horses in open and a new horse or a young one in youth. I applaude you for giving the other youth a chance. I don't think it is fair that a youth or senior run both classes and cleanup. I have no problem getting my hiney kicked in the open by you but leave the "lower"class to the people that don't run in the open. My daughter only runs in one. She is by no means a top 1d rider but if she runs in the open she doesn't run in the youth or vice versa. I also don't want her horse run that much. JMHO

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
okay, i have read some of the replies and have a question. If a youth can go in there and place in the 1d, in the open and they want to run also in the youth they should be able too.  Yes, most kids do not have that great horse to go in there and do it but don't hold that against the ones that do. Most of the time the kids run against each other anyway at youth rodeos,playdays and high school rodeo.
Atleast like at STBRA we have now a youth 3-d and a pee wee class. This allows the little ones to have their own.  They are fun to watch cause they do get very competitive with each other but yet will cheer each other on. And that is a great thing to see!
THAT IS JUST MY OPINION!!
Stefanie Medland

Offline barrelracing4fun

• I lOvE dOcS fRiSkY aKa RoAnY pOnY
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2005, 11:36:20 AM »
my opinion is the same with lilbit if you go to a staight playday then you got to run against the same people and in a 3-d or 4-d then you still have a chance to get a saddle
jEnNiFeR ePpS

i LoVe To RoDeO

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2005, 12:01:24 PM »
:()&........thanks for keeping this topic civil and generic........if anyone starts naming names again and being ugly this one will get zapped too..........everyone on here has the right to their personal opinion as long as you are not hurting others while voicing it. Thanks!
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline jenijill

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • pray for our soldiers
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2005, 12:09:10 PM »
CTBRA has a peewee assisted( i call it the parents class), peewee unassisted then the youth class, and then the open.  I think it makes it a little more fair
 (hi there)
it is Gods responsibilty to forgive the terrorist and it is the US Military's responsibilty to arrange the meeting

Offline TX_CN_CRSHR

• Extreme Member
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2005, 12:38:26 PM »
Ok, I can't pass this up.  I am beyond youth, but have NEVER, I repeat NEVER competed in a barrel race.  I just bought my barrel horse back in November and have had to work out some problems with him, and am just now getting him legged up and ready to compete.  I have never rode a horse up until two years ago.  Now I am intimidated to go run with you "big dogs" because I know even in a 4-d, I am gonna get my rear kicked.  I do not have the riding ability (or confidence) yet to compete on ya'lls level, but where can I go and get that ability without donating to the pot every time.

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with "youth in open", but every one is talking about their skill level, what about adults that are just getting into it, where do we fit in other than, again, donating to the pot?
   :! :! :! :! :!

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2005, 12:52:18 PM »
Ok, I can't pass this up.  I am beyond youth, but have NEVER, I repeat NEVER competed in a barrel race.  I just bought my barrel horse back in November and have had to work out some problems with him, and am just now getting him legged up and ready to compete.  I have never rode a horse up until two years ago.  Now I am intimidated to go run with you "big dogs" because I know even in a 4-d, I am gonna get my rear kicked.  I do not have the riding ability (or confidence) yet to compete on ya'lls level, but where can I go and get that ability without donating to the pot every time.

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with "youth in open", but every one is talking about their skill level, what about adults that are just getting into it, where do we fit in other than, again, donating to the pot?

TX_CN-CRSHR,
I dont know where you are located but some barrel racing assocations have a novice rider class. This is for people that have not won a certain amount of money. It is open to everyone(age wise). Also, If you are on a horse that has not won that much you can get in Novice Class. Like at STBRA we have a $500.00 novice rider and novice classes.
Stefanie Medland

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2005, 12:57:26 PM »

PLEASE DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED !!!!!!  Im not a big dog by ANY means no matter what the definition !!  ok so maybe I have a big hiney lmao  heres the deal when you go to these things even for the very beginning rider you will LEARN especially an adult who WANTS to learn  you would be amazed at the fantastic people out there who are more than willing to share their wealth of knowledge for the betterment of the sport and to help any one out
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline TX_CN_CRSHR

• Extreme Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2005, 01:00:32 PM »

TX_CN-CRSHR,
I dont know where you are located but some barrel racing assocations have a novice rider class. This is for people that have not won a certain amount of money. It is open to everyone(age wise). Also, If you are on a horse that has not won that much you can get in Novice Class. Like at STBRA we have a $500.00 novice rider and novice classes.

I can't find any riding associations around Lindale, Texas that are offering a Novice class for adults.  :\\(((