8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: I'm new and just wanted to say hi~~Question about turning out in winter blankets  (Read 3893 times)

Offline cocoabean

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Just wanted to say hi and complement this forum.  I've only seen pleasant topics, not too much pot stirring.  I like to keep my horses out as much as possible, and with my schedule, sometimes it is my only option.  They have plenty of shed to get under, round bales, and they are separated so I can feed separately.  My only problem is I'm having trouble keeping them from tearing their blankets.  I've tried putting cheaper nylon sheets over the blankets, but they still snag them on the barbed wire and tear through the sheets.  I hate I have barbed wire, but it's not really feasible for me to tear all the fence down and put up barbless;  I'll be moving in about a year anyway.  Since they are separated, they all just sit by the fence all day staring at each other and ultimately snagging their blankets.  I even tried putting two of them together hoping they would quit hanging out by the fence, and still didn't have any luck.  Just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas to help me out.  Would the canvas sheets be tougher and maybe not let the barb go all the way through to the blanket?  I'm about to the point that I think I'm just gonna have to keep sewing them up till winters over!  Anyone going to Ewell saturday?

Offline kcjazz

• Novice Member
HEY

GOOD LUCK TRYING TO KEEP THEM FROM RIPPING THEIR BLANKETS

Offline cocoabean

• Novice Member
I need more than luck!

Offline cocoabean

• Novice Member
did you try that bit?

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
Have you tried putting them all together or putting the round bales next to the fence where they can at least be near each other? Maybe they'll be too occupied eating hay and being content with having a buddy next to them to tear the blanket! My horses rarely get a blanket b/c its never really that cold here, and if it is cold, it always rains! Good luck with the blankets  <HI>
Dont try and be a bad@$$ over the keyboard.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
Welcome Cocoa...what a darling avatar you have!  Where I live we don't need to blanket much so I can't give you very many ideas other than put an electric fence up beside the barb wire (hate that stuff anyway) Canvas sheets would probably be a little more durable, but I've never used those either.  Hope you can fix your delima.  That can be costly.  <HI>
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
I can't help you much either on the blanket situation.........hasn't been cold enough here........just putting mine in the barn at night and closing the doors to keep the wind out..............but

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
WELCOME  to the board !!
I would try the canvas over the top of your other blankets that stuff is virtually indestructable ,the only problem I have found with it is if you get the cheap ones they dont fit very well whichis why I say go over the top of the others , good luck  like you I have barbwire too  and its a pain in the rear end butthe most economical stuff to have ,the hot wire idea some one had is also a great idea too
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline Shanda

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
Not much help here on the blankets either, mine don't generally get blankets in the pasture, I will put one on if I am hauling them and it is cold, but, that is about it. :)/\\  Anyway welcome to the board.  <HI>  And I plan on going to Ewell Sat. as long as it is not raining!!! <COLOR GRIN>
I do my best, God does the rest!!!

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
Welcome to the board.....Glad to have you here.   >PEACE<
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 10:40:05 AM by Rodeo Mom »
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline Tailwind

• Elite Member
I use canvas blankets  when it gets really cold and wet, and they do tear , but I don't think as easily as nylon.  Course I'm  lucky, mine seam to do pretty good with their blankets.   Most of the time I do not blanket, but I have one that shivers if it is cold and wet.
"My treasures do not click together or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

Offline cocoabean

• Novice Member
thanks for the welcomes and the replies!!  I think I may try the canvas. 

Offline SG

• Extreme Member
The taka's are a more tear resistance....
Where do you live???
ALso the hot wire should work.

Offline RazHorse7

• Extreme Member
  • Can Chaser, Barrel Racer
The electric fence is a great idea. I don't have barb wire, but I have woven wire & electric. I've got one small section by the trough that isn't electric and its all bent and stuff from the horses leaning on it. Not sure where you're at, or if you have these, but here in Illinois we have stores called Farm&Fleet. You've probably got something like that wherever you live. They sell electric fence solar chargers for around $100. They're really easy to set up and use.

Not sure how old your fence is, but I have a QH that ran through a barb wire fence and broke 2 strands and pulled up a post. With all the barb wire fences and loose livestock near me, I think that having the hot wire would keep them safer too.

Nobody really wants to go out and buy new blankets, but if you decide you need to, some brands use a canvas-like material. I think it's called rip-stop or something like that. It is not not supposed to rip or unravel if its been snagged or slightly torn. Everyone I know that has used them, has liked them. Including me.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum! <:)
Got any ques.? send me a message!

Renee A. Zbynski, 16, IL
Run like you mean it

Offline cocoabean

• Novice Member
Do you know where I could find the rip stop or canvas material blankets?