8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: GRANDMA'S CURES  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Travelin Boss

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
GRANDMA'S CURES
« on: January 28, 2005, 12:06:58 PM »

Hi everyone, I just received this in an e-mail and wanted to share it with yall.  I have only been a member of this board for a short time so I am not sure if this has previously been posted or not.  If it has, please excuse my duplication.  Also, have not tried any of these yet so I don't know if they actually work or not, but guess the only way to know is to try them.  Although this is not about barrel racing, I thought some might enjoy reading it and find it useful.

GRANDMA'S CURES

Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers.

Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints.  They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu?  Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil.  Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day.  The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer... Dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms.  Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly... even though the product has never been advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes...  Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it.  Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing.  Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash.  The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust...  Forget those expensive rust removers.  Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain.  The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer...  If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409, Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover... just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin.  The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Tomato paste boil cure... cover the boil with tomato paste as a compress.  The acids from the tomatoes sooth the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters...  disinfect a broken blister by dabbing on a few drops of Listerine.  It is a powerful antiseptic.

Vinegar to heal bruises...  Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour.  The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kill fleas instantly...  Add a few drops of Dawn dish washing liquid to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly.  Rinse well to avoid skin irritations.  Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any brand dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites...  All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear.  Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball.  Repeat daily for 3 days.  The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the ear mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

[/b]
Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
because then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
Re: GRANDMA'S CURES
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:26:59 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to have to print that...things like this are never around when you need them.

WELCOME
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Downthealley

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 12:53:19 PM »
think Ill print it too!!! Ill have to test them on hubby first   lol

Offline Lil Welder

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:54:33 PM »
Baby oil works with ear mite too. You can also bath your dog in a shampoo that has citrus in it. Pour a small amout of bleech on a bee sting it will help pull out hte burning sensation. Coke can also take the crude off you battery cables ( just think what it does to your insides) and I love coke.

Offline Travelin Boss

• Novice Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »
My favorite of these was the one about removing splinters.  I have a 7 year old son who gets plenty of splinters and but hates for me to dig them out with a needle/tweezers   :\\(((  So, next time I am going to try this using the Elmers Glue-All... He will probably think that is fun and get more splinters than ever   (woohoo) 
Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
because then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 06:03:52 PM »
now arnt those nifty !
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline got2run3

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 10:11:04 PM »
 I can vouch for the oatmeal, it works and it is great  drawing agent for swelling also.

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 10:47:01 AM »
I love this.  /|\\  We could all benefit from Grandmas Cures and I bet there are more of them.   <(' ')>
I once stuck a pipe off a diesel tank in my leg and after my Grandfather poured Kerosene in it the pain was gone, no infection and no scarring.  (Yes it took several to hold me down and I was only 9 at the time)  :)%
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 11:04:04 AM »
I love this.  /|\\  We could all benefit from Grandmas Cures and I bet there are more of them.   <(' ')>
I once stuck a pipe off a diesel tank in my leg and after my Grandfather poured Kerosene in it the pain was gone, no infection and no scarring.  (Yes it took several to hold me down and I was only 9 at the time)  :)%

OMG
Dont try and be a bad@$$ over the keyboard.

Offline SmoothOKFuel

• Veteran Member
  • Fuelin W
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 01:18:32 PM »
Here's another one --- wipe your horse with Bounce fabric softer sheets (like the gofers while they are playing on their arms) to keep the mesquitos and flies away...I do this and then wind it around my bridle in the summer time and it helps keep those pesty ones away.