News > Trainer's Corner

Second Barrel Trouble

(1/1)

brrlracengirl10:
Well here's my problem... Im having a hard time judging my pocket and the amount of rate to ask my horse going into the second barrel turn... It doesnt matter what horse i ride or which barrel i turn first, i seem to either plow the barrel or skim the fence... also, at home during practice, my slow work seems to be nearly perfect concerning my position and rate... are there any exercises or techniques that i can work on to improve this turn?? THANKS!!

starstruckranchbarrelgirl:
I'm not Laura the great but I can answer too! Are you anticipating that you are going to skim the fence or plow the barrel whenever you run? Some times your mind can will you to do somthing. I call it mind pressure. So my first thing to say to you is: stop anticipating! Second thing.. Are your horses different in height? For instance I have a 14.3 15.3 and 16.3. Whenever I switch from 14.3 to 16.3 or vice versa I still have one or the other on mind. When I am on my 16.3 h horse after being on my 14.3 h horse I tend to give smaller pockets because I forget who I am riding! So maybe before a run look down and remind yourself who your riding and how you slow work them. From the way you were talking it seemed you thought ut was rider error. Somthing I forgot to add.. A smaller horse generally needs less pocket.. A bigger horse gennerally need a LITTLE more pocket, but more speed and direction into it so they have momentum.. Hope I helped!

brrlracengirl10:
Thanks! you were very helpful. but here lately ive only been riding one horse and ive been riding him for 7 years. thats why this kinda threw me off cuz i know my horse and trust him with my life, its just ever since we have started running faster to the barrels, were having a hard time. but ill try to give him a bigger pocket next time i run and see how that goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version