8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Need Help with NEW Horse  (Read 5815 times)

Offline BrownEyesAfire

• Veteran Member
  • Rodeo Diva!
Need Help with NEW Horse
« on: January 30, 2005, 06:49:46 PM »
Alright so I love my new horse and I have taken him to Northside for the first time the other day (no other place to break one in) and I though that the music would get to him. And it didn't so a matter of fact NOTHING did. I am just having trouble getting him hyped up before a run we would walk to the first barrel if you let him. The sad thing is that loping the pattern he is 1/2 second off. I know the horse can run I am just having trouble getting it from him. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of was to pump a horse up? Any supplements or anything that might help without me having to whip his butt all the time, I want him to want to run at least a little bit!!
Got any help or suggestions?
Everything happens for a reason!

Offline Dawnya

• Official Wal-Mart Greeter
  • Posse Member
  • Elite Member
    • www.roadkillmercantile.com
Re: Need Help with NEW Horse
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 06:55:11 PM »
My big red mare was the same way.  She was fat and slick but very, very lazy.
Had her thyroid checked and she was low.  Put her on Levoxyl and noticed a big difference within two weeks.
Let us know!
Beware of paranoia

Offline got2run3

• Veteran Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 11:03:24 PM »
What about Lixtoinc, I know my sis n law , uses it on her horses, and it seems to really help them. hth

doc o lena bar

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 07:00:33 AM »
Some horse don't know they can run.  Try taking him to the track or somewhere open and sprint him wide open and let him know that he can run.  My mare was that way for a while.  Before you start addind supplements try this.  I have my mare on oxy-gen xtreme and the oxy boost paste 2 hours out before I run.  Now that she knows she can run, she gets herself fired up.  Personally, I like a calm horse.  One that walks down the alley and waits for you to say when.  They don't waist all their energy going in and save it for the arena.  I have a horse that gets so fired up that he used alot of his run in the alley and doen't haven't enough steam to come out.  Try this first before you start addind things to the feed.  I think on Sat. mornings you can go the the track at Weatherford, and pay $5 - $10 and work you horse on the track.  This would be better than the other first.

Hope this helps.

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 07:46:02 AM »
Doc, that is exactly what I had to do with Eddie.  Fortunately, we have a track close by that is open to anyone and an arena right there too.  Eddie found out that he can run and is doing better.  I have him on Oxy-Gen extreme and really like it. 
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.
          That is why it is called the present.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:06:00 AM »
Doc, can you give me details about the track in Weatherford? I used that track to blow out my horses when I had a license there back in the early 80's but have lost touch with all my contacts in the area since I have been away so long.

Melanie

(edited to not sound so stupid. LOL)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 08:07:42 AM by melaself »

doc o lena bar

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 09:11:06 AM »
Doc, can you give me details about the track in Weatherford? I used that track to blow out my horses when I had a license there back in the early 80's but have lost touch with all my contacts in the area since I have been away so long.

Melanie

(edited to not sound so stupid. LOL)

I think all you have to do is call the track and see what time they exercise in the mornings and go out there.  I can't remember the name.  It is the same as it used to be.  Something Meadows.  It is no longer a open running track, just used for exercising and conditioning horses.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 09:18:46 AM »
Yes, I think it's something like Squaw or Squaw Creek. I'll have hubby stop by there on the way home from work and find out details. Thanks so much for the info. I've been looking for a safe place to take my three year old to let her run.

Do I remember correctly that you belong to a riding club in the area? I live out by Lake Palo Pinto and am looking for one to join. It's tough when you've been out of contact for over 20 years. LOL

Mel

doc o lena bar

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 11:09:56 AM »
Mel, I was a member of Weatherford Comancheros for the past 7-8 years, but have just gotten out for a while.  I have to drive 1 1/2 hours everytime I go to a show.  It was getting old.  So I am going to barrelrace for a year and maybe go every now and then.  I hated to leave, but it was time for new officers to take over, and I needed a break.  The arena is nice though.  They always have good ground and nice parking.  The arena is located on Hwy 51 north of Weatherford of the west side of the hwy.  I will give you a contact #.  817-250-6400,  This is the # to the new Secretary.  He name is Dee.  She is super nice and easy to get along with.  Her Husband is a race horse trainer.  So they might could help you out in know about the using of the track. 

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
Doc, thanks much. I belonged to the Commancheros way back when we lived in Springtown. I'll give them a call.

Basically I don't have an arena to work in where I am now so I thought I might join a club and work her on playday events to get her used to the commotion and to get her doing different things inside an arena before I try to exhibition her on barrels. It just seems like the more different things you ask them to do the less problems you have getting them into the arena and they don't seem to blow up as often because you can always go back to doing something else when you start to have problems.

Thanks again for being so helpful. Maybe I'll see you this weekend in Stephenville. I'll be there "horseless" to check things out and see if it will be a good place to haul mine for seasoning. She is getting a lot calmer but sometimes has a lot of issues. LOL

Offline BrownEyesAfire

• Veteran Member
  • Rodeo Diva!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming! I am currently looking into taking him to a track to run him and hopefully that will help!! I really love a calm horse too but he is a little too obvious. NOTHING gets him pumped up. I mean nothing I was whipping him trying to get him hyped up at Northside the other night and he never even graped his butt once.
That is part of it too the lady that him before me never really ran him, she liked to keep him slow (you know the pulling on his mouth and whipping his butt at the same time!)
Everything happens for a reason!

Offline countrygurl

• Novice Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »
I little friendly "race" may liven him up a little.  Possibly take a buddy with you to the track and breeze them together and let the other pass you, then your horse may actually want to catch the one in front of him.  Just a suggestion!  Good luck!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »
But just so you know...a few of them NEVER want to run no matter what you do. I had a Go Man Go gelding once that wouldn't run to save his life. I finally sold him. Now I wish I had him back to start my granddaughter on.

Offline featherg

• Charter Member
  • Elite Member
    • Feather G Ranch
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »
Could it be that he is long strided and smooth and not feel like he is running? Sounds like he is moving right along just being 1/2 sec off. 
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.
www.TotalHealthEnhance.com

Offline RazHorse7

• Extreme Member
  • Can Chaser, Barrel Racer
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 11:10:23 PM »
I like the ideas you all said, about going to a track. This might work. My horse came from the track, but the reason he was never raced was that he was "lazy" and "stubborn". We've been able to get some great runs, but I don't like having to always whip him either.

If the racetrack thing doesn't work, you try what I'm doing. I signed up for the Parelli Natural Horsemanship homestudy program. I wanted my horse to want to work for me, not force him to do it. So far it's going good, and you can still ride while you are going through level one.

If you want more info, send me a message, or go to www.parelli.com

<:)
Renee A. Zbynski, 16, IL
Run like you mean it