8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Horse is calm once in the arena but getting in is the problem  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Horse is calm once in the arena but getting in is the problem
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:30:05 PM »

Hello,
I am starting my 7 year old mare on barrels this summer. And have been taking her to some little rodeo's. She does great sometimes and other times, not so great, hopefully that will come with time and experience. BUT, my question (among others) is that
each time I take her to an event, she gets harder and harder to walk into the arena. In fact, tonight for the first time, she reared and refused to go into the arena. Eventually another horse led her in and she was fine. Once she is IN the arena, she is pretty calm.. but it's the getting in part that is a problem.

Got any idea's or any suggestions on what I ought to be doing with her? At home she is fine, in fact practice is 100%, but when we get to an event it changes. Could this be just nerves, or insecurity? Or am I wimping out on her and allowing this? I also take her to the gate before hand and let her stand there to get the 'lay of the land' so to speak. Should I not do this?
What can I do?? THanks a lot!!

I really look forward to hearing from you!
It is my birthday tomorrow and am hoping that your
book will be one of my gifts.. I have MORE than hinted
around to that!!! :)
Thank you so much!

Kinsey :)

Your mare is telling you that she dreads the barrel race when the pressure is on. It could be that you are asking her for too much too soon - you need to slow back down and makes things easier and more relaxed for her by going to some jackpots and rodeos and NOT running, instead just working her slow or not at all but riding her around to let her know that she doesn't have to run EVERY time she leaves home. Or it could be that your mare is sore and hurting somewhere and she is not comfortable running. In that case, you should have her thoroughly checked by a good performance or race horse vet.
Martha Wright

[
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling