8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Horse dreading going in the arena  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Horse dreading going in the arena
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:33:08 PM »

getting in the alley, when i'm up and try to stay clam and keep my horse calm and he wants to spin and turn and get as far from the alley as possible. then he starts rearing up and i'm trying to pull his nose around so he can't rear up...but it make me nervous and it is getting worse.i've had him check and messaged and given him shots and working on cutting is food back and i am at the point i don't know what to do...i've trying being led in and he wants to pull back and rear up.i'e try going in with a couple of other horses and he is just wanting to get away...get out of making a run....

jb.

I would have to guess that your horse is sore or hurting somewhere and is dreading going in the arena to make a run. Get him thoroughly checked by a vet before you rule out that he is not sore. He will need to have his teeth, ears, feet, joints and muscles gone over closely.

You might need to change his feed but I certainly wouldn’t be eliminating feed unless he is overly obese. If he is a “hot” horse, then I would probably try a diet of oats and coastal hay along with a good vit/mineral supplement in adequate amounts to maintain his weight. I would steer away from alfalfa hay and “sweet” feeds until you get your problems worked out. It could be that he is affected negatively by the starch and sugar in the feed you are feeding him. In that case, you might want to try a diet that is higher in fat with less starch or carbohydrates. Talk to your vet about the options that are available.

You also need to be sure that your equipment fits correctly and is not pinching him or causing him some kind of pain.

Once you have figured out what is causing your horse to dread the arena, then your problems will be much easier to address. At that time, you will need to work on getting your horse to relax in the alley and behind the arena. That may be addressed by going to a jackpot and NOT running – just riding him in and out of the alley and letting him learn that it is not such a dreaded place.

Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling