8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Bucking Horse  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Bucking Horse
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:40:47 PM »
Martha,
I have ridden a long, long time but have never encounted the problem I am having with a horse I currently have. He is 7 yrs old, I bought him as a long 4 yr old and have been riding him every since.

His pattern is perfect, I started campaining him in Sep. and have hauled him as much as possible. I ride him every day when possible. He will usually get a check in the bottom or top of the 2D. He is very capable or running 1D, but I have not been asking him for his "life", just letting him go at his speed.

Now to the problem. I want him to Walk, trot gallop down the alley. He wants to bob his head, whirl and Saturday he bucked all the way down the arena to the 3rd barrel. I rode him all the way down but finally hit the dirt. This is a very talented horse, but I have so many ladies telling me what to do. Anywere from get ride of him to beat him! What to do?

Thanks.
Melba Washburn

Melba,

Is this the only place this horse bucks (when going down the alley)? Or does he try to buck at other times? What seems to be the trigger that starts the bucking? Is he just playing or is he trying to avoid something? Ill fitting equipment? Saddle that doesn't fit him? You need to really analyze what is happening and try to determine if it is pain or soreness related or is he just having fun with you by ignoring what you are asking him to do? I need more information in order to make reliable suggestions.
Martha Wright

This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Bucking Horse
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:42:26 PM »
He has bucked a couple of other times once when was really fresh and I had him on Omalene 200! I have him on a more sensible diet. I have changed saddles and it fits him very well. I don't believe its pain, I've had hocks injected and all body parts looked at.

I did work him last night in and out of the alley, and it seems that he just wanted to start running when HE was ready not me and when I grabbed hold of him he started bucking again. I finally got him pulled up and we started the walk, trot, lope in the alley.

We did this for maybe 15 mins just as if we were beginning a run, but after the first barrel I slowed him down to a walk-trot. This horse is usually very sensible, but what ever you do on the last run, he wants to do on the next. As for a trigger? He gets nervous at the barrel race. Hes very quiet until the alley.

I have seen a lot of horse "fight" the alley - Bogie dosent do that. He is just "internally nervous" I called my friend Lisa Ogden and talked with her, she dosent have time right now to take him anywhere and she I thinks thats where he needs to be corrected. I'm not a "whipper" so I'm not sure what to do at the barrel race, if I can't get this resolved, then I am whipped.

Thanks so much for your reply.

ps. I've seen you run so many times, its great!

Melba

[Washburn, Melba]

Any time he wants to take his head away from you, take one rein and disengage his hip by taking his nose to your stirrup or to the shoulder area in front of the cinch. Hold the position until he gets his feet still and then release the pressure on the rein.

Sounds to me like he needs some ground work done in the round pen to teach him to yield so that he understands the chore you are going to ask him to do, regardless of whether you are on his back or on the ground.
Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling