8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Rearing Problem  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Rearing Problem
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:46:56 PM »

Hello, my name is Kim.
I own a 13 hand pony named Magic. Last year I started doing barrel racing on her. Well, she is really good at it except she has a bad rearing problem. I let her go in the beginning, and didn't try to stop her, and now she still rears and she goes high. I don't know how to stop her, and I'm afraid that if I tap her with a crop or bat on the head. (One of the things someone told me to do) then she'll rear even higher.

This past June my friend had a barrel horse that flipped over on her, and I'm afraid that Magic will do that. This is probably my last year riding her and I don't want her to rear while my little sister and brother ride her. What can I do to stop her from rearing. If you need more specific details you can Email me back.

~Kim~

(by the way, I use an Egg Butt Snaffle on her if that helps you, and she's about 18. I turn her towards the fence to start runs, and I use a common over-under whip)

Sounds to me like you may need to get some help from a professional trainer. Magic is doing something that can be very dangerous as you are already aware of. I certainly wouldn't let your little sister ride her if she continues to act this way.
Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling