8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Used to Go in Fine  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Used to Go in Fine
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:49:22 PM »

Martha,
I have been running barrels for about three years in 4-H horse shows. My horse used to go into the arena fine with no fight, but now it seems like she has to throw a big fit before I go into the arena and I have to be led into the arena. She just started this about a year ago. That is when I really began to start picking up speed even though I still don't go that fast. Do you know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
Thanks for the help.
Carmen

Dear Carmen,
Many times when a horse refuses to go in the arena, it's because they are trying to tell you they don't want to do this and many times it's because pain is involved in some form or fashion. Have you had this horse thoroughly checked out by your vet - specifically look at the hocks and stifles. It sounds like things went smoothly until you added speed which in turn added increased torque and pressure on the joints as the horse makes the turns and drives away from a barrel.

Also, make sure that your equipment fits properly - i.e. saddle, bit, protective boots. Most horses don't just decide to quit working correctly unless there is something really bothering them. Unfortunately for us people, it's sometimes hard to determine what they are telling us. We just have to keep looking and asking questions until we figure out what our horse is saying to us.

Yours is definitely saying I don't want to do this - Now it's up to you to figure out why?
Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling