8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Walks In for Other Events  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Walks In for Other Events
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:54:01 PM »

I have a 13 year old gelding that is giving me a problem with going into the arena for any gaming events. I use him in Pleasure, Showmanship, Trail and in gaming rodeo events goats, barrels, & poles. I warm him up by loping circles, small circles, stops & turns & side passing & walks circles next to the arena.

But when my name is called he refuses to go in. I have tried several different things from backing him in to other horses walking him in and even giving treats when he is in. Once he is in he is fine and does what I ask, but this is very frustrating. He walks in beautifully for other events such as pleasure, horsemanship, trail etc. What can you suggest?

I suggest that you are causing the problem. If he walks in for the other events with no problem but changes when it comes time to do the game events, then you are probably getting too tense and ready to run before you get into the arena. Keep your body and mind relaxed but ready to perform and try to transmit that to him as well. The only other thing that it might be is some kind of pain he is experiencing when you ask him to go fast. He may have some joint or muscle problems that only bother him with speed and quick turns. Have your vet check him out thoroughly.

Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling