News > Speed Index

Speed Index Question

(1/2) > >>

Bob Gould:

Martha
I have a question about si. I'm a dummy when it comes to these kinda things. Exactly what are they talking about when some says their horse
has a si of 120 or whatever? Is there anyway to check to see if the si they say is right or true?

Speed index is how the QH racing authorities measure or determine how fast a horse can run. You can call the AQHA to verify the speed index on quarter horses and I'm sure the paint and appaloosa associations will give you the same information.

Martha

Bob Gould:
I know I am a dummy when it comes to this. Tamet has been trying to explain it and I',m not getting it. I understand this part "Speed index is how the QH racing authorities measure or determine how fast a horse can run. But how fast is a Si of 107 in mph or can it be converted to that. And if the QH racing authorities have no record of the speed index then how would you prove it?

I don't know that the AQHA converts it to MPH but I'm sure that someone somewhere has done so - just can't tell you how you would do it myself..... Speed indexs can vary at different tracks - they are not all the same - because they are based on the average of the three fastest winning electronic times run each year for the past three years for each distance at each track (figure that one out and you're WAY ahead of me!) If there is no record of a horse running a certain speed index either with the track or a breed association, then it can't be proven.
Martha Wright

lauraSchumann:
In my own opinion a reference more valuable than a speed index is to know a clocked time at "howevermany" yards....Each track is so
different, as are our arenas we compete in, that on one track a certain time may excellent for this many yards, whereas at another
track that time would not be good due to the dirt, ect.  Lets say you are looking at a prospect to buy off the track...I am looking at
horses that ran well from 250-350 yards total.  I would look to see what a good time would be under "good" conditions at that race track
and compare.  You can tell for sure if the horse has the speed or no.  Now if you are looking at lineage, there is no certain way to tell if
what you are seeing on a speed index is as accurate as what is reported.  Sometimes a horse that ran in the mud all year obtained a
90si that would have been 102si elsewhere....the speed index rating was invented to try and report the actual speed of a horse but over
the years I personally feel that it has become more of a hinderance as to the actual abilities the horse aquired. 
And no....I could be here trying to figure it out too as Martha said...so I just call the AQHA and ask.... :ROFL2: :ROFL2:
Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder to Success Barrel Clinics
"I Believe" Tour 2009

turnandburn:

--- Quote from: lauraSchumann on December 18, 2008, 12:52:24 AM ---In my own opinion a reference more valuable than a speed index is to know a clocked time at "howevermany" yards....Each track is so
different, as are our arenas we compete in, that on one track a certain time may excellent for this many yards, whereas at another
track that time would not be good due to the dirt, etc.  Lets say you are looking at a prospect to buy off the track...I am looking at
horses that ran well from 250-350 yards total.  I would look to see what a good time would be under "good" conditions at that race track
and compare.  You can tell for sure if the horse has the speed or no.  Now if you are looking at lineage, there is no certain way to tell if
what you are seeing on a speed index is as accurate as what is reported.  Sometimes a horse that ran in the mud all year obtained a
90si that would have been 102si elsewhere....the speed index rating was invented to try and report the actual speed of a horse but over
the years I personally feel that it has become more of a hindrance as to the actual abilities the horse aquired. 
And no....I could be here trying to figure it out too as Martha said...so I just call the AQHA and ask.... :ROFL2: :ROFL2:
Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder to Success Barrel Clinics
"I Believe" Tour 2009

--- End quote ---
Why only those distances?  What about a horse that ran 800+ yards?  Just curious b/c my new gelding ran and won at the longer distances.  He has a SI of 85.  Is that not good for barrel racing?

MMRANCH02:
I think, and i am no expert, that you would use an SI as a reference point on a horse just like anything else.  Best mare I owned had an SI of 35!  We laughed at it, but she was as solid a 2D/3D horse as any one around!

Like breeding, I think an SI is an indicator of potential?

Not sure I would want one with an SI of 120, Bob - he may just fly low to the ground at that rate!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version