8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Safechoice Feed Price going up?  (Read 19144 times)

Offline OldCanChaser

• Elite Member
Re: Safechoice Feed Price going up?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
Taylors has Safechoice for $9.75 a bag??

Offline barl5

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:54 AM »
It went up from $12 to $15 around here about 6 months ago. That's why I quit feeding it. I'm now feeding a locally milled pellet that is comparable to Safechoice and only costs me $9.75. Golden Oak Horseman's Pellets milled in DeLeon.

Have been feeding Horsemans Pellets for over a year now and the horses love it. It started out at around $7.75/bag but every time I go buy it which is about ever 3 weeks (25bags) it goes up. Just bought some on Thursday and paid $10.24/bag. Checked with other feed stores that carry it also and they are all higher ($10.65 and $11.25) so I will stick with where I am getting it. Just don't know how much longer I can keep feeding it if it keeps going up cause I am feeding 10 head.

I bought some today at Taylor Feed in Stephenville for $9.75

Which feed store is Taylor's as we will be going to Stephenville this weekend for the barrel race and I could just pick some up while I'm there?

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
I quit feeding Horseman's Pellets to my horses a couple of years ago when I had a great horse of Liz Pinkston's in my barn.
Golden Oak doesn't properly clean their magnets on the blades that cut the pellets and I got a sack of feed with metal
shavings in it, AND a used up pellet saw blade!  I had gotten a ton of feed there, and was late feeding so grabbed a sack
off the truck and started scooping it out in the feeders, had filled a couple of corner feeders, when I see Liz's good horse
bouncing his head up and down in the bucket, and the end of his nose cut.  Upon inspection, I find the saw blade, and then
in the bottom of the sack in the middlings of crumbs in the sack, there's some metal shavings.  This happens when the magnets
on the machines that cut the pellets are not cleaned regularly.  My client & friend Loreena was here from Utah, saw the entire thing, we loaded up and went back to Deleon ourselves, showed them the situation, and took the evidence with us without so much as an "Im sorry" about it, or let us replace that load.   I was spending over $7000 a year at that mill....and some amount of customer satisfaction was in order.  I gladly do business elsewhere now.  ;))

**adding that I feed a 10/6 milled in West now...horses all doing good, and I add what I want to raise protein if a horse needs it...it is a nice clean pellet with barely any middlings in the bottom of the sack & the nutrition count is good for $8 per sack.  My horses that run constantly eat Strategy b/c I do see a real difference by spending a bit extra.  They are worth it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:51:23 AM by lauraSchumann »
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »
Taylors has Safechoice for $9.75 a bag??

Not Safechoice, Horseman's pellets

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
It went up from $12 to $15 around here about 6 months ago. That's why I quit feeding it. I'm now feeding a locally milled pellet that is comparable to Safechoice and only costs me $9.75. Golden Oak Horseman's Pellets milled in DeLeon.

Have been feeding Horsemans Pellets for over a year now and the horses love it. It started out at around $7.75/bag but every time I go buy it which is about ever 3 weeks (25bags) it goes up. Just bought some on Thursday and paid $10.24/bag. Checked with other feed stores that carry it also and they are all higher ($10.65 and $11.25) so I will stick with where I am getting it. Just don't know how much longer I can keep feeding it if it keeps going up cause I am feeding 10 head.

Which feed store is Taylor's as we will be going to Stephenville this weekend for the barrel race and I could just pick some up while I'm there?

It's on the Lingleville Hwy. close to the intersection of FM 108

Offline barl5

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »

It's on the Lingleville Hwy. close to the intersection of FM 108

Ok, thanks for the info!!

Offline kcameron

• Fossil
  • I love my Willie
    • KSK CUSTOM HOBBIES
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
It's been interesting reading all these post. I have fed Stradegy for years and just recently decided to change because of the high price of the feed.  I am feeding 11 head (geldings, broodmares, and babies). I feed pellets just because I don't like seeing my grain come out the other end. haha.  I found a cheaper horse feed, but it is still pricey. I just wondered if anyone feeds an allstock feed to their horses. The allstock is cheaper 8.50 a bag, but I am torn on whether my mares and foals would do good on it.  I do give the horses alfalfa at night and they graze on pasture 24/7. 
I fed strategey for years also..I too switched about 9 months ago to all stock feed.It is called stock and stable..LOVE IT ! My horses have done great on it.We had one horse that when we bought him he was starved and he now looks like a normal horse..Has put on lots of weight ,feels good,looks great..Not to mention I like the price of this feed..Although ours went up to $9.15 a bag here.Where are you at that your getting it for 8.50

Offline myvwranch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
i also fed safechoice two or three years ago. two of my horses lost weight on it. i switched to horseman edge, loved it and everyone did well, then it started going up. so i went to mg 12/8 loved it also, but now its over 8 dollars a bag , so i am out.  we now feed a dry mix from a new mill in brenham. its 7.00 a bag and four of my friends and i split a ton a month....

i only feed a handful to each horse at night just so they can get their salt and minerals ... we feed alfalfa twice a day and have been for a year and its been working out wonderful for me.  i was spending 300.00 a month on feed, now i spend 14.00.  and i am feeding 9 horses.  i have always fed alfalfa one flake a day, but since we have been feeding just alfalfa i think the horses are in great shape...

is there anyone else out there just feeding alfalfa? 
I hope You Dance

Offline LUV2RIDE

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »
I have been feeding Stock & Stable pellet for the last 9 months and my horses are doing great on it.They look excellent and feel good.Not hot, but have plenty of energy.We only ride them once in a while now and just trail ride now. So I switched them to this.You can also give this to any livestock you have which is nice.Comes in pellet or sweet feed.I was paying 8.25 a bag, now it went up to $9.15 a bag. I use to feed stradegy but got to expensive.

I live in Pittsburg, Texas.  I went to the feed store yesterday, and the All Stock has gone up to $9.25. But it is still cheaper than Strategy and the other feed I found. It makes me feel better knowing that your horses have done well on an All Stock.

Offline OldCanChaser

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
I was at Taylors feed store in saturday, safe choice is 14.75 a bag, but they had some other for 10.75 a bag, and it is 12/6.. pellet.. nice feed too!!

Offline sguidry

• Novice Member
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 09:51:30 AM »
I used safechoice as well until the price hit $15+...did some research and found MG 14-8 Trainers blend.  Most feed stores carry/instock MG 12-8 but can get the 14-8 Trainers Blend easy.   I liked the 14% protein that safechoice had so i researched the MG feed and found that one.  Also the MG has less starch content than the safechoice...so far been happy with it.

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
i also fed safechoice two or three years ago. two of my horses lost weight on it. i switched to horseman edge, loved it and everyone did well, then it started going up. so i went to mg 12/8 loved it also, but now its over 8 dollars a bag , so i am out.  we now feed a dry mix from a new mill in brenham. its 7.00 a bag and four of my friends and i split a ton a month....

i only feed a handful to each horse at night just so they can get their salt and minerals ... we feed alfalfa twice a day and have been for a year and its been working out wonderful for me.  i was spending 300.00 a month on feed, now i spend 14.00.  and i am feeding 9 horses.  i have always fed alfalfa one flake a day, but since we have been feeding just alfalfa i think the horses are in great shape...

is there anyone else out there just feeding alfalfa? 

Me! I was feeding Bluebonnet Intensify (best feed on the market in my opinion) but $16.80 a bag I can't afford. So I now feed alfalfa cubes morning and night and then they have free choice coastal round bale....they look great and seem to feel great! I called the vet before I did this and he said as long as I fed either a little grain or had a good mineral tub to balance out the calcium & phosprhous (since alfalfa is so high in calcium)...he said that was a more natural diet for the horses anyway.
KC

Offline wendyb

• Elite Member
  • Britt at WBR 2007
    • Visit our store online...
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
We use MG 12-8 for the most part and add some alfalfa to the ones that need a 'boost' and are working all the time.  I know the 12-8 has gone up some, but I think it is right around $10/bag still. 

We are feeding 12 horses/ponies so we only subsidize the ones that are performing.  Otherwise the cost would kill us.

Have openings for consignment saddles
http://www.lazybgeneralstore.com
Carrying brands such as *Wrangler*Ariat*Cinch*Cruel Girl*Weaver*Circle Y*Saddle Barn*Double H*Boulet*John Deere*Corky's*Yellow Box*Bar H*Breyer
Special Orders Welcome

Offline cold n classy

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »
Carolyn O.....have you seen my horses?  LOL LOL LOL When Dad passed away my herd all went on a big shock to their diet plan! LOL We fed Strategy because that's all Dad would feed.....but on my budget it, I went and talked to Burge at Jakes.....I have been feeding an All Stock feed for almost a year now and there is not a rib one showing on any of my horses....and they only get grass during the spring/summer months.....I do feed hay in the winter....I just have to balance everything so I can afford it....but I'm currently feeding Wendlend's All Stock pellets and they scarf it up.....not sure exactly how much it is but it's around $9.00 or maybe a little less......my horses seem to be fine on it....keep in mind I don't ride 7 days a week or haul seriously so I know that makes a little impact on how they react but for me, it works. 
To be a champion inside the arena, be a champion outside the arena!  (Deb Mohon's words to me-1999)

I ride in hopes and prayers that Bess may walk again one day!

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
  • God Is Great...All The Time
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
This is a little off subject but a friend of mine that lives in Haltom City (Ft Worth) just called freaking out because she went to the feed store to get a roundbale and they want $165/bale! 
If you think you can or think you can't...either way you're right.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Maci LeeAnn Walters - August 20, 2007.  I am BLESSED!