8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Starting Barrel Training  (Read 2858 times)

Offline from.the.horses.mouth

• Novice Member
Starting Barrel Training
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
I have an Appendix 4 yo filly...I have waited along time to even really start training because she is part TB and has taken quite some time to mature physically and mentally, her mother is a nut because she was started too hard too soon (previous owner) so I didn't want to risk that with her.  So at 4 her growth spurts had slowed and she was ready (with our little lessons we had) to learn more so I took her to a trainer for the basics since i have never broke a horse myself.

Now I trained my old buckskin on barrels BUT she was already about 8 and had been on a ranch her whole life so she figured it out pretty much without too much assistance...

Lil Miss (the 4yo) will be done with training within id say the next month to month and a half (shes been there 2 weeks and is making great strides but may stay longer than 30 days)

My question is: how long should I just reiterate her basics before introducing barrel training?

Barrel Racing will be her profession but I also want her to be able to do other things, all around kinda horse.  I also don't want to start her too soon and have her get sour or forget how to walk either.
****Storie****

Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse.
Trust in God, but tie your horse.