8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Airstream trailer....update*  (Read 20366 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Airstream trailer....update*
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
I am keeping watch on this I like see what you have done so keep posting pictures
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
Will do Bob :)

MM.....as I sat at the sewin machine thinking about what you said.....this came to me.

"It's kinda like...some people can take clothes and layer them..or jewelry and wear it...and it looks awesome"....some of us (like me) try to do that and it looks like I drug 3 or 4 things outta the closet and decided to wear it all at once...and it doesn't work."

I think of just about everything.....in layers. Art is always a bunch of layers added to each other....to make the finished piece. So...the spots are just a layer portion...of the whole piece. Same with people....we all have layers...that make us who we are. And we ARE God's artwork.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
Now do ya'll see why I love the_jersey_lilly so much?  Who else but a sweet spirit could come up with such a great analogy over my smart alecky crack about artsy types covering up leopard spots??  Love it ... and you!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline meandmo

• Veteran Member
  • Proud Softball Mom
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
JL2000, I just bought the Airstream that I was telling you about.  I got online and from what I can tell by the floor plan it is a 1960 Sovereign of the Road.  It is 30' long and will be a complete remodel except the bathroom is in pretty remarkable shape.  I took pictures with my phone but the are so small you can't really see it well so I will take pictures of it with my camera once we get it home.  It has no dents on the outside but it needs polishing once all the work inside is done.  He wanted $750 for it but I got him down to $600.  I looked on Airstream's website and it says it is worth "as found" $900-1700.  Refurbished it is worth $11,000 - $17,000.  Yeah we'll see about that.  I really bought it for myself not to resell.  But I will do what you are doing and post pictures as I remodel it.  I have ideas but mine are a little more boring than yours.  LOL

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
Will do Bob :)

MM.....as I sat at the sewin machine thinking about what you said.....this came to me.

"It's kinda like...some people can take clothes and layer them..or jewelry and wear it...and it looks awesome"....some of us (like me) try to do that and it looks like I drug 3 or 4 things outta the closet and decided to wear it all at once...and it doesn't work."

I think of just about everything.....in layers. Art is always a bunch of layers added to each other....to make the finished piece. So...the spots are just a layer portion...of the whole piece. Same with people....we all have layers...that make us who we are. And we ARE God's artwork.

I love this analogy!  Very deep!!!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
Oh yes, and I love what I am now seeing!!!!  Can't wait for the couch reveal!!!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline KTF

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »
When they are put back to their origional state and  parts are found and used that are from that decade, they do sell for alot.

• Mega Member
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2011, 03:03:26 AM »
KTF...and anyone else wondering (because I wondered myself) if I am totally ruining the value of this trailer. (altho it's for us...and probably won't be for resale) There's several airstream trailers that have been redone by designers. I know...tip knotch designers at Neiman Marcus. But still....if they can do it...and it's gawdy...and in 1996 the one they had listed in their Christmas Catalog had a price tag of $195,000. I can't see where I'm doing any harm LOL

No...I'm not Neiman Marcus......or one of their designers. But I really think...with the fashion and design trends of today....it just might be increasing the value. I know it is for us. If it were listed for sale....I bet I could turn a profit no problem. That's why we are keepin our eyes peeled for another one. I'd like to just see what it would do. Not that I'd do another exactly like this one. But similar...and probably not in the immediate future. Because we have his car to finish...my truck to restore....other projects that we wanna get done so that we can go play. My truck will most likely be the "Armadillo Hauler". hehe Gotta go vintage all the way....'64 trailer and a '69 Chevy stepside.

Couch cushions are allllllll sewn together. I have one seam to make down the middle where the cushions fold down to make the bed out. But I just can't make myself do that tonight. Or maybe I should say this morning??? 3am OMGosh!!!!! But I know if I get the one seam done...I'll wanna put the foam rubber back in it NOW...and I can't do that alone. I'll get my son to help me out with that tomorrow morning sometime...and take pictures and post :)

Thanks for all ya'lls encouragement along the way.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

• Mega Member
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2011, 03:06:41 AM »
MM I love you too!!! .....................................................and your smart alecky cracks!!!! hehehe

• Mega Member
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2011, 03:08:07 AM »
Meandmo,
Congratulations on your Airstream....I can't wait to see pictures!!!! And what you do with it. Welcome to another sickness....it's almost as bad as horses. ;) hehehe :D

• Mega Member
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
Well I've made that last seam...put the foam rubber back in....all zipped up. And now I hafta take it all back out again because it's a little big on the back cushion. When I took the old covers off...I noticed that some seams were 1/4 inch...and some were 1 1/2 inches. Don't know why it was done like that...but that's not how I sew. I try to have uniform seams everywhere. So....I now have to take it in about 2 inches on the underside of the back to make it fit. Was hoping for a first time fit. But that never happens anyway. So I'll pull it all out and then put it all back in a bit. Needed a break....Wrestlin those 6 ft long foam rubber pieces will wear ya out~!!!! LOL

• Mega Member
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
All out...made some modifications...and wahlahhhhh all back together again. And it fits!!!! Yay!!! Im not real crazy about that pillow on the right tho....Not likin it. Or it needs somethin added to it. Oh.......I know.....More gawdy!!! that's it!!!! hahahaha

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
Excellent job!
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
Need a photo of them in the trailer

• Mega Member
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
We have some plumbing to do that's under the couch frame before we can put it all back together. Also the wood frame and storage compartments underneath need to be stripped and restained/finished before that goes in. Guess that will be my next project.