8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Benjamin Update November 2, 2015  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Benjamin Update November 2, 2015
« on: November 02, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
Bruiser1 I think you are right, it is time for an update.   As I said in last update (Feb 2013) Ben was washing his clothes, well let me define that.   He was carrying his clothes basket into laundry room and putting them in WITH LOTS OF PROMPTING!   LOL  Most everything involved LOTS OF PROMPTING!   Now, he not only is putting them in the washer himself WITHOUT LOTS OF PROMPTING, he is taking them out of the washer, putting them in the dryer, getting them out of the dryer and taking them back to his room.   Several steps have been added since 2013 and we have also started teaching him to sort his clothes.  

In 2013 he was putting dishes up with LOTS OF PROMPTING and with all this prompting we began to see behaviors pop up that were becoming harder and harder to deal with.   In Feb of 2014 we finally we able to find a Behavioral therapist that would come to our house and help figure out how to change Benjamins behaviors so all our lives would be better.   WE LOVE HER!   YOU CAN NOT IMAGE HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE SHE HAS MADE IN OUR HOME.  Over the past nearly 2 yrs we have had to back off of some things and then gradually bring them back in so we could have more normal behavior.   And it is working.   He doesnt do things at the pace of most but he is continually doing things I never dreamed or I should say I always dreamed he would.   Now he unloads all the dishes but the utensils, he not only puts clothes in washer, but moves them to dryer and then to his room when finished.   He is working on sorting, we will be adding in folding and putting them up soon.  He now will clean up his spills and accidents, he carries his gas cans from the yard and puts them in the truck so we can go get gas for his mower (oh yes the mower is still VERY much in the picture) LOL.   It is a highly valued item.   He carries groceries into the house, we will be adding putting them up appropriately soon.   These are things we just have to "tell him to do now" not hand over hand him anymore.  He is just now starting to emerge into us showing him something and him being able to replicate it.   He really is becoming more independent than he has ever been.

His social skills are getting better, he is figuring out he is supposed to say hi, yes, no, etc etc.  Many of his behaviors have taken on a communication level now so that has helped a LOT, well, except when they are inappropriate behaviors.  LOL  But we continue to move forward and now I see him doing many more things than I can image.  

As always please continue to keep Benjamin in your prayers.    There are still many therapies I would love to put him in like stem cell and hyperbaric chamber therapy.  Until then we will continue to put one foot in front of the other and move on down our path.   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:25:28 PM by Tamet Gould »
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Bruiser1

• Novice Member
Re: Benjamin Update November 2, 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »
Oh what a wonderful update!  Thank you so much for letting us know how Ben has been doing!  Yippppeee for Ben!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:29:16 AM »
Ben is an amazing young man

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
Great update!  I know this is making Ben's and your life so much more rewarding!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5