8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Swiffer Wetjet Hoax  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Swiffer Wetjet Hoax
« on: February 08, 2005, 01:36:59 AM »
Warning for your animal's health: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure.  The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was.
The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind.  The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going through all the items in the house.  When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated may be harmful to small children and animals."  He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients.  (actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from anitfreeze).  Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.
Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.
So far this is what we have found.
Although ETHYLENE glycol is commonly used in antifreeze and deicing solutions and has been identified as posing a danger to pets, the compound listed in the WetJet MSDS, propylene glycol, is a distinctly different substance. Propylene glycol is also sometimes used in antifreeze solutions, but it is much safer than ethylene glycol — it has been classified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food, it is found in a variety of medicines and cosmetics, and it is recommended as a safe alternative to antifreeze for pet owners. Propylene glycol is also an ingredient used in many, many different brands and types of household cleaning products, so if it truly posed a significant risk of causing fatal liver damage in cats and dogs, we should be hearing about many more pet deaths associated with cleaning products other than the Swiffer WetJet.
According to one source "Animals that ingest antifreeze and don't get treatment die from KIDNEY damage!"
To read more on this subject click on the words "Swiffer Wetjet Hoax" above.

UPDATE:
Althought it turns out that the Swiffer Wetjet email is a hoax. It appears that a dog that eats grapes or raisins can die. Please read the following link:
=>  http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=grapes

Update:
Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center have reviewed the claim described in a widely distributed email alleging a relationship between the use of Swiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in a dog
=> http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16054&security=2220&news_iv_ctrl=1400
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Swiffer Wetjet Hoax
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 01:37:44 AM »
 Jeannie Nichols
Hi , read with interest the Swiffer article........... I nearly lost my dog
several years ago to , basicly an overdose of pork rib bones ! All my
previous dogs had eaten most anything I had ...... but this one had eaten
some dead armadillo in the previous months and gotten sick....... as like
food poison.....then after a breakfast feast with friends and several slabs
of ribs , with the dog getting all he wanted of the rib bones, he got VERY
sick by next morning....... Pancreatitis ( I may not have spelled it
right ) the pacreas went crazy and he nearly died. Emergency trip and
overnight stay with all sorts of treatment and now eats the pricy lamb and
rice dog food only . Not to feed dogs pork bones. In our case , not
to feed Anything off of a pig. He continues to have a very sensitive
stomach.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Swiffer Wetjet Hoax
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 01:38:14 AM »
Marilyn
Most people have forgotten that dogs of today can not eat the things that dogs of 100 years ago could. Just like what we clean with has changed. You can poison any one or any thing with to much of any thing. You must use common sence.