General Category > Lost at Sea with Capt Jack

(1/1)

Capt Jack:
his is the second year we have been able to stay home on the farm where I was born.  It has been a blessing even when the bad stuff happened as we were here to stand beside and comfort other family members.
A year where we had new births here, two wonderful goats who survived while their mother, Patches, died after birthing them.  Lot of tears that day as she was a family member also.  Got to bottle feed Yoda (because of his ears) and Dufus (who is a love yet not the most brilliant of goats.  Four times a day...early and late...got some getting used to.  Then Bean (our registered Red Wattle sow) presented us with 10 piggys for her first time.  One was not able to swollow so we lost him yet the other nine were super.  Beans is so gentle she allowed us to pick them up  when they were but a couple of hours old.  They would squeal and Beans would see it was us and go hrummp...and back to nursing the others.
We bought a La Mancha doe in milk, Lilly...and I have to say truly I would put her milk up against any milk in the world.  It is so very sweet.  We drink it, make cheese from it (and that is yummy stuff) and make butter.  My great grand daughter (Abby)(yes, I call her Abby Normal) made butter for the first time and put blue food dye in it...wow, blue butter.
A friend gave us a billy and doe in milk...miniatures...Now if you have ever tried to milk a minature you will know it is almost impossible yet her milk is super in butterfat...a great cheese making milk.   We sent Jack and Jill to Livingston along with Dufus so my great granddaughter would have the start of a herd (she is bound and determined to go to vet school at A&M)(and will probably do very well).
Lost another brother in law to leukemia so we spent a lot of time in Bonham, Texas trying to get everything settled and hoping to sooth people.  Then my son in law's father, who had moved his travel trailer here to the farm as he wanted to be close to family also died of leukemia.  His wife is still here as she feels 'better' here at the farm.  A city girl and yet the farm is her refuge for now.
Just getting to know my great grandchildren is worth everything.  Ivan (great grandson) told me...grandpa captain jack...I am glad you are home because we knew your name but did not know you...now we do.  From the mouths of babes.
Lost crops due to the drought. It reminded me of 1956 when we were in a ten year drought but that one broke in 1957.  This year instead of 3,000 pounds of organic peanuts..we got none.  The early garden did okay yet the summer garden failed as water got to expensive to irrigate it.  We did not even try for a fall garden.  We did keep Ginny's Lilly's doing well over at Annie's Garden..Those are the rare Lilly's and could not afford to lose them.
Over all it has been a very good year...and a sad one also...yet both family members went out in their sleep with no pain...vote me for that.
Our hopes that you, each and everyone, will have a blessed New Year and we are so looking forward to seeing you all again
huggs
captjack n ginny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version