8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Ulcers in Horses  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Ulcers in Horses
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:27:24 PM »
I have just been told by my vet that my horse has ulcers.  The vet has prescribed Gastrogard. I was wondering if you have any results with this medicine and if there is any other version of this medicine that may be less expensive. Also is there a good supplement that you can feed daily.

Thanks for your help!

<a href="http://gastrogard.us.merial.com/equine_ulcers.asp" title="External - English">Gastrogard [/url]is the only medication that will actually heal the ulcers.  The generic products that we have tried have not been successful treatments at all.  The company that makes Gastrogard is currently planning on marketing a feed additive that is supposed to help with the problem.  A horse that has ulcers needs to be evaluated for stress – be sure that he has plenty of turn out time – preferably in a pasture where he can graze during the day or at least keep some good quality grass hay in front of him at all times so that he has something in his stomach that will utilize the acid that he produces for digestion.

Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling