8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Benjamin 2012 Update  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Benjamin 2012 Update
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Its been many months now since I last updated.   As many of you know we had Benjamin in public school and he was doing great, we thought.   When he came back from Christmas break he just wasnt doing as good for them as they thought.   I went in and spent a couple of weeks with him at school everyday to try and show them what to do about behaviors.   That didnt work either.   ARD came around in March and then CPS showed up at my doorstep the 3rd week of March with accusation of violence towards teachers and aides.   No one contacted me before hand as I was told I would be.   So we had to live thru the BULLS*** of CPS investigation.  Im not going into details it pisses me off to think to much about it.   How a bueacracy can come into your home and threaten your family.   Reminded me of Nazi Germany during WWII STRONGLY reminded me of the gestapo.  Anyway...............

It was hard for me to understand why they were having such a hard time with him because he was doing sooooo much better at home, following direction more, communicating more, doing more things and on and on and on.  Sooooooooooo, I yanked him out of school the end of March and just started home schooling again.  

So since the 1st of April Benjamin has started washing his own clothes, putting his clothes in the dryer, unloading the dishwasher, choosing his breakfast food from the pantry and bringing it to us, choosing which clothes he wants to wear and putting them on without assistance (that within the last week),  he can put his shoes on without assistance, is assisting in brushing his teeth (we break down each task into steps and then start working on steps), he helps make his smoothie in mornings, goes and gets the eggs, cocanut milk, banana, counts the pineapple pieces as he puts them in the mixer and then runs the mixer and gets his smoothie just right.   When he has to take his pills, you tell him to come to kitchen and take them and he will come and do that, puts his glass in the sink when thru, puts his plate in the sink when finished eating.    There are tons of things we are teaching him and he is learning!!!!!   It is amazing to watch him do stuff, things that 8 months ago he couldnt do.   We are working on proper pronnuciation of 2 and 3 syllable words, just tons of things on a daily basis.   He is learning to say "no" and we honor it when we can.   He is GOOOD at saying no and starting to do good at answering yes when appropriate.  He is starting to learn what more and more foods are and will bring those to you that he likes.  

Now dont get me wrong, even with all these cool things going on he still has meltdowns and we work on social behavior and him controlling his behaviors on a daily basis.  But hey, for a person who is 17 and cant talk like you and I and deals with teenager hormones I think he is doing GREAT and Im very proud of him!  

Medicine is changing so fast, talked to nurse at Dr S this morning because he is really emotional right now and she is suspecting a pandas flare because his ups and downs are cyclic.   We are going to go get a blood draw today and run some tests, see what comes back and then go from there.   So Ive got to go so Ill update yall again hopefully before the end of July.   We will be starting ABA therapy and Recreation therapy in July so want him all running smooth so he can learn as much as possible.  Until next time.................
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:13:09 PM by Tamet Gould »
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: June 2012 Update
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
Please continue to keep him in your prayers.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »
Oh my gosh, that's all just GREAT news!!! And about public schooling, they say they are going to do a lot of things that never happen. I went round and round with them when Frances was in High School and they were no help at all. Finally pulled her out and she finished school on her own and even took some college courses. Now she owns her own business and is doing great. And you are doing GREAT with Ben!!! Sometimes you just gotta say "Screw the system". 8)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:32:16 AM »
Amen MEL!!!!!!!

Offline MelRit

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
Its been many months now since I last updated.   As many of you know we had Benjamin in public school and he was doing great, we thought.   When he came back from Christmas break he just wasnt doing as good for them as they thought.   I went in and spent a couple of weeks with him at school everyday to try and show them what to do about behaviors.   That didnt work either.   ARD came around in March and then CPS showed up at my doorstep the 3rd week of March with accusation of violence towards teachers and aides.   No one contacted me before hand as I was told I would be.   So we had to live thru the BULLS*** of CPS investigation.  Im not going into details it pisses me off to think to much about it.   How a bueacracy can come into your home and threaten your family.   Reminded me of Nazi Germany during WWII STRONGLY reminded me of the gestapo.  Anyway...............

It was hard for me to understand why they were having such a hard time with him because he was doing sooooo much better at home, following direction more, communicating more, doing more things and on and on and on.  Sooooooooooo, I yanked him out of school the end of March and just started home schooling again.   

So since the 1st of April Benjamin has started washing his own clothes, putting his clothes in the dryer, unloading the dishwasher, choosing his breakfast food from the pantry and bringing it to us, choosing which clothes he wants to wear and putting them on without assistance (that within the last week),  he can put his shoes on without assistance, is assisting in brushing his teeth (we break down each task into steps and then start working on steps), he helps make his smoothie in mornings, goes and gets the eggs, cocanut milk, banana, counts the pineapple pieces as he puts them in the mixer and then runs the mixer and gets his smoothie just right.   When he has to take his pills, you tell him to come to kitchen and take them and he will come and do that, puts his glass in the sink when thru, puts his plate in the sink when finished eating.    There are tons of things we are teaching him and he is learning!!!!!   It is amazing to watch him do stuff, things that 8 months ago he couldnt do.   We are working on proper pronnuciation of 2 and 3 syllable words, just tons of things on a daily basis.   He is learning to say "no" and we honor it when we can.   He is GOOOD at saying no and starting to do good at answering yes when appropriate.  He is starting to learn what more and more foods are and will bring those to you that he likes.   

Now dont get me wrong, even with all these cool things going on he still has meltdowns and we work on social behavior and him controlling his behaviors on a daily basis.  But hey, for a person who is 17 and cant talk like you and I and deals with teenager hormones I think he is doing GREAT and Im very proud of him! 

Medicine is changing so fast, talked to nurse at Dr S this morning because he is really emotional right now and she is suspecting a pandas flare because his ups and downs are cyclic.   We are going to go get a blood draw today and run some tests, see what comes back and then go from there.   So Ive got to go so Ill update yall again hopefully before the end of July.   We will be starting ABA therapy and Recreation therapy in July so want him all running smooth so he can learn as much as possible.  Until next time.................

Many Blessings to you and your family Tamet.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »
Well had an ABA therapist come for an eval last Fri on Benjamin.   She gave us LOTS of suggestions on altering behavior and she told us lots of things we already knew but she had some keen ways of looking at them.   So we got to utilize some of her suggestions today and they worked GREAT!!!!  

Benjamin will set in front of the back door when you are doing something he doesnt want you to do (usually me setting in front of the computer).   It irritates me because I want him to develop more normal behaviors, more socially acceptable anyway.   So, she said when he sets in front of the door, dont say anything about it just start doing things that require you to go in and out the door and disturb his behavioral activity.   Joseph (my oldest) carried out a couple of bags of garbage, Ben had to move his legs out of the way, then I went in and swept the floor, he had to move his hands and legs when I did that and finally I pulled out the big guns.....     ;D  THE VACCUM CLEANER..................

Ben hates the vaccum cleaner, so I just pulled it out, began to vaccum the rug he was setting on and he immediately jumped up and went and sat at the table and I finished vaccuming the rug and then put it up.   Never said a word to him about moving, he made that decision all by himself  :D   Well with a little physical suggestion from us without us saying a word.   I was LMAO inside.    :D :D :D :D :D

Also utilized some of her suggestions at Walmart and they worked there too.   She said we have been doing a lot of things right and that was why we were getting some success.   But she gave us some really good pointers to make the success more consistent.  

In reality it was a lot like Clinton Anderson techniques, make his feet more backwards, forwards, left and right until he makes the decision we are looking for and then reward him.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:55:35 PM by Tamet Gould »

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: Benjamin 2012 Update
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
Another interesting day in the world of Benjamin.....Went to Ben's reflexologist today and then to HEB.  Thought he was going to get thru the store without a episode but no such luck.  BUT it provided me an opportunity to try some more of the ABA therapists suggestions. 

As soon as the meltdown started I told him he was going to go set in the truck until he calmed down then he was going to come right back into the store and walk thru it again and we would keep doing that until he quit having a meltdown while in the store.  Folks let me tell you these episodes are hair raising!   He is screaming his head off, beating on his face and EVERYBODY in the store stops and watches.  By the 3rd trip we were carrying our "letter"with us just in case the cops showed up.  I'm not at all happy about doing things like this but Benjamin is advancing pretty quickly now and we have got to get his social behavior on a more age appropriate level.  It ain't easy!!!!!

He understands almost everything you tell him and his biggest problem is he has very poor communication skills so it causes lots of problems.   Just image if you couldn't talk or convey what is on your mind......  On top of that image if you were a teenage boy with all that testosterone floating around and you couldn't talk.  Think about how much your teenagers grip and complain......

So please pray for Benjamin to be patient and to start using language more, to start talking. 

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »
Sounds like things are still improving. That's GREAT!!!

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
ISN'T THAT GREAT.  TAM'ET NEEDS LOTS OF RELIEF.  SHE IS A TROOPER & HAS BEEN FOR YEARS.  SHE NEEDS YOUR THOUGHTS & PRAYERS FOR STRENGTH I TRY TO LEAVE HER ALONE AS MUCH AS I CAN BUT SHE KNOWS THAT I'M HERE IF I CAN DO ANYTHING.  THIS IS THE 6th DAY FOR ME TO FEEL LIKE MY SHINGLES HAVE LEFT.  IT IS WONDERFUL TO FEEL SO GOOD AFTER NEARLY SIX WKS.  HOPING TO START RIDING SOON.  NEED TO MAKE A FAST TRIP TO THE CHIROP, IN LAMPASAS, THEN START MY LIFE AGAIN.  HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH EVERYONE.  HAVE A WONDERFUL WKEND.  LETS ALL PRAY FOR RAIN.   WARS ;D ;) :)

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Good things come to those that wait!  And, boy oh boy, have all of the Goulds waited!!!  Love ya all!!!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
amen

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
Please keep Benjamin in your prayers, he is having some problems.  Ive had to go to a juice, broth and smoothie diet for him.   He is NOT happy about it either

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 07:33:11 AM »
Bless his heart!  I would want something to chew on also!!!  Keep on keeping on, Tam'et.  This too shall pass!  Love you guys!!!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »
I'm sure glad Tamet spent a day with my students and I last spring.  My kids loved visiting with Tamet and teaching her a few things.  Maybe Tamet will join us at the TREAT Rodeo at Tarleton next spring!
Thanks for being a great parent, Tamet.  I wish all parents cared about their children as much as you do.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
Oh I definitely want to go to that.   ;D  Be sure and let me know when exactly it is.