8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: age of barrel racers  (Read 8616 times)

Offline 186

• Novice Member
age of barrel racers
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »
Trying to decide on what to do the rest of my life as far as my horses are concerned.  I am 55 yrs old and can't decide if I want to sort, barrel race, rope, shooting sports or just trail ride.
I love sorting, my mare hates it.  I want to learn to rope, she or I don't know how, but she is not afraid of the box or the rope and lets me drag things around with her. Bad thing about both: I don't have cattle and only time she/we get exposed is paying for exhibitions.
Trail riding gets old, I get tired of following down the trail, and seeing the same old country, rode everywhere around here until I almost have it all memorized.  Shooting sports seems to be a little on the expensive side with the equipment needed.
My mare has never done barrels, she is 8 yr old TB that didn't make it on the track.  She is pretty laid back, quiet, stands right at 15.3 and very long strided.   Myself, as I said, 55 yrs old, and overweight. 
If I wanted to join all you ladies out there, would I be a novelty at my age as a beginner?  I have a younger friend that is dying to barrel race, and looking for a horse, and one that is 50 and happy to trail ride.  I want to live and enjoy my mare and accomplish everything we can.
I did take my mare to a local jackpot for exhibitions, and think we just need to deceide what we are going to do when we grow up.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: age of barrel racers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »
Im 52 and still barrel racing.  Have friends that are in their 60s that still barrel race. 
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Yeah Tamet, did you tell her about your fat friend that's 64 years old...won 3rd in the 5D and 1st and 3rd in the Senior 4d just this weekend? LMAO And she didn't start barrel racing until she was 58.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:23:39 PM by melaself »

Offline 186

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
Congrats on your wins!!! Now your story is an inspiration to me.  Guess I better start working the ole gray mare and see what we can do. 
I was questioning myself I think, because I have had several "friends" telling me lately we are getting to old to do much anymore as far as the horses go. The ground is a lot harder than it used to be, and we don't bounce like we use to but I sure don't want to give up. I think my mare keeps me going so I can be around a long time for my grandkids.

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
ALL YOU YOUNG LADIES, I'M FIXING TO BE 79 & I HAVE NO INTENTIONS ON STOPPING.  THIS YEAR HAS NOT BEEN A GOOD YEAR HEALTH WISE FOR ME BUT "I'LL BE BACK"!!!!!!!!!!   WARS ::) ;D :D :)

K""

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
Well WARS last year and this year both haven't been good to me. Last year my danged kidneys gave me heck and this year when I was launched off of Aloha I cracked my shoulder blade. But I'm on my way back!! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

And thank you so much for all the coaching and encouragement you and Tamet have given me. Love y'all
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:52:58 PM by melaself »

Offline Jan Sigler

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
ALL YOU YOUNG LADIES, I'M FIXING TO BE 79 & I HAVE NO INTENTIONS ON STOPPING.  THIS YEAR HAS NOT BEEN A GOOD YEAR HEALTH WISE FOR ME BUT "I'LL BE BACK"!!!!!!!!!!   WARS ::) ;D :D :)

I am 66 and riding a 3 year old, so Wars I hope I will still be entering at 79
K""
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:57:59 AM by Tamet Gould »

Offline wars

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
GIRLS JUST HANG IN THERE.  WE MAY NOT RUN AS FAST AS THE YOUNGER GROUP BUT AT LEAST WE MAKE A SHOWING.  EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD DAY.  WARS :) ;) :D

Offline clampitt

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »
Start get on and get at it. More you do the fitter you get and more fun you have.Im fixing to be 63 I ride 5 hd a day,Rope horses, barrel horses.When I dont in winter I feel bad.More I do the better I feel.
Dont try to rope on a green horse if you are not a roper.Find a good old one and some help.Just because they walk in the box dont mean a thing right now.What else would they do.And a rope around them or dragging things.Different than live and direct.
Find some one to help with all of it.You get in bad habits if try to go at it alone.
Main thing is start.
Clampitt Ranch.Horses and Equipment

Offline wars

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
WAY TO GO SELFI!!!!!!!!!   LOOKING GOOD.   WARS ;D :D :)

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
WAY TO GO SELFI!!!!!!!!!   LOOKING GOOD.   WARS ;D :D :)

Thanks WARS!! Hoping to do even better this weekend. You better hurry up and get your back fixed so you can come play too!

Offline wars

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
JUST HANG IN THERE SELFIE & KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.  BOY DO I HOPE THIS BOY DOES SOMETHING FOR ME.  WARS ;)

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
as pf sept 10th i will be 58 and have been questioning myself  is this what i still want to do. yes i do but not in 100+ temps. haven't been on my horse since tex. july 20th  . when i stay off for awhile i do that but once i get back in the routine of  coming home from work ,getting supper and figuring my time to ride i be back at it again.

i have always said that is why they have the "D" races. for all of us to have a place to fit in no matter age ,ability,or what ever.

so get up and get after what ever you think will make you happy.
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline 186

• Novice Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:57:27 PM »
I wish I knew what would make me happy.  You ladies are all an insiration. You hae accomplished so much. My trail riding friend is recuperating from 5 cracked ribs after falling off at a desensitation clinic we were at,and landing straight on her back and boy, she been complaining about age.  Then she started in about at least it was her on her little 14 hand mare and not me on my 15.3 hand mare (older and farther to fall). Just got me to wondering if I was crazy. I talked with my younger friend this morning, she has found her a horse, I told her I was going to start practicing with mine, so we can get out and go together.  We will see. 

Offline canchasin Cindy

• Mega Member
  • Ride hard and believe in yourself.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
i'm 57 with a birthday in January.  got bucked off last november trail riding and cracked the 5th rib. was back on riding after 3 months- dr's orders so i didn't puncture a lung. ride my horse almost everyday. won't ride in lightning storms! barrel race  and pole bend as often as i can. and am competitive.   used to team pen- too political around here and if you don't have an unending supply of money- hard to get in the win pocket.. love to trail ride with hubby, daughters, sons, grand children.  camping/ trail riding is lots of fun going different places.  do whatever you feel is your calling.  if you / horse need schooling on it- find someone to help.  and it's good physical activity.  have lots of friends my age and older that enjoy all of it too!
"life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy @#!%, what a ride!" Mavis Leyrer age 83