8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Keeping things fair in barrel racing…  (Read 3290 times)

Offline grinandbareit

• Novice Member
Keeping things fair in barrel racing…
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
For those who don't have FB, I want to share this post with you…

I want to address a problem that is a common one in our industry… Squaring the barrel pattern… There are several arenas that do not have a center alley (it may be off just a few feet). I want to stress to everyone that is producing or running in these types of arenas. It isn't always easy to "eyeball" an arena. This is one of the reasons we are developing a website to teach those, who are willing to learn, how to correctly square a barrel pattern so that it is fair for everyone, whether you run to the left or to the right.

When "squaring" your pattern, you MUST measure from the center of the alley to the first barrel and to the second barrel. It MUST be the same distance to both markers (just like the arch to the third barrel from the 1st and 2nd barrels). This is the only fair way to set the pattern. Unless you are using an arena with a "set up" to the first barrel, your pattern MUST be the same distance from the center of that alley to the 1st and 2nd barrel. If you do not square your pattern to the alley, on an arena that the alley is just a little offset, then either the horses running to the left or the one's running to the right will have an advantage. With as competitive as these barrel races are these days, this is a big deal. It can mean the difference between getting a check and going home empty handed. For those who think it doesn't really matter, let me give you a quick scenario… You go to a barrel race and some folks get to run on the pattern with the barrels on the inside of the stakes and some have to run with the barrels on the outside of the stakes. You probably wouldn't be very happy if you were the one that had to run with the barrels on the outside of the stake. Even if they were only doing it with one barrel, you would feel slighted.

We can change the way things are done if we are open-minded and forward thinking. It does not have to be status quo in our industry. If you are a producer, check your patterns, it's easy to do. If you are competing, bring it to the attention of the producer, many are willing to fix things when they find out about them. This isn't about accusing people of cheating or stirring up controversy, it is about making our industry BETTER & FAIRER for everyone. Please share this on your page so that others can be aware of how to stake things correctly. Keep in mind that this works on ANY pattern, not just the ones listed. Have a blessed day everyone and keep spreading the Word!

Offline CD

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Keeping things fair in barrel racing…
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
You would really be surprised the number of arenas that we have found that you would think are true center alleys that are off a few feet one way or another. If the producer only measures down the wall on each side then either the right handed or left handed horse has a definite advantage.

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
I STILL FEEL LIKE IF THESE PONIES ARE OPEN PONIES, THEY SHOULD LOOK FOR THOSE BARRELS EVEN IF THEY ARE A FEW FEET OR IN" OFF.  THESE HORSES LOOK FOR THE BARRELS, NOT THE IN" OR FEET OR THE FENCE.  THEY HAVE TOO GO TO SO MANY DIFFERENT ARENAS I BET IT IS THE RIDER THAT THINKS ABOUT THESE THINGS, NOT THE HORSE.  I'LL PROBABLY BE HOLLORED AT ABOUT THIS POST.  HA  EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT WK.  HOPE U DID WELL AT THE BIG ONE THIS WKEND.  WARS  ::) ;)

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
What I think is unfair is that I'm old, in pain, and can't ride as well as those kicking my butt;)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
 :D :D :D :D  thats funny Lisa Jo!   
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
HEY KIDDO I'LL GO WITH U ON THAT.  HA  WHEN I WAS HAULING, IN MY 70s THEY DON'T THINK ABOUT THAT.  MANY TIMES I ASK PLACES TO HAVE 70 & OVER.  THEY THOUGHT THAT WAS FUNNY & WALKED OFF.  SO I HAD TO RUN AGAINST THE YOUNG CHICKS.  BUT, U KNOW WHAT I WOULD SAY OR THINK, YOUR DAY IS COMING & THEN U WILL BE TRYING TO GET AN OLDER AGE CLASS.  THERE IS A LOT OF DIFFERENCE IN 60 YR OLDS & 70 YR OLDS.  BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT THAT.  I  HAD TO STOP IN 012 BECAUSE OF MY BACK.  BUT AT THAT TIME I WAS STILL TRYING.  VERY SAD THAT I HAD TO STOP.  SWIFTSTRAW JUST COWGIRL UP & KEEP HUSTLING.   WARS ::) :D ;)

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »
Notice I didn't put an age limit on those kicking my butt!  Hey, you're either the best or lucky.  If you're not the best (1D), ya leave 'em up and hope for the best!