8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: need more whoa  (Read 8538 times)

Offline TexasT

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: need more whoa
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 09:14:26 PM »
Hey Erin
      Go under our TRAINERS CORNER and click on BITS.. you may find some help there.. Its a question and answer deal with Martha Wright..      I think on one of her answers she even posted the link to their catalog of bits..
Good Luck

Offline Shanda

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 12:48:57 PM »
You might try a Jim Warner Hackamore, it comes in long and short shank.  I ride a gelding that come off the track, and he works well in the long shank Jim Warner.  The s just wasn't enough on him when I was coming out of the arena, I needed a little more whoa in the alley coming out.
I do my best, God does the rest!!!

Offline got2run3

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 08:32:04 PM »
Do you ever set his head?
        YEP, set their head right up against a brick wall, works wonders for WHOA... lol

Before anyone takes that statment to heart, I was giving Julie a hard time...     

yep, brick walls, been there done that, and it will put whole lotta of whoa on one. althought parnets (back then) didn't care to much for the dr bills.  but they still busted my butt for going up town lol.

Downthealley

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 10:21:04 PM »
hey Erin, tell me about this new horse. when did you get him? what does he look like and do you have any pics of him???  hope the new horse works out for ya

Offline yippeej

• Extreme Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 01:31:29 PM »
Erin, are you coming to Athens on Sunday?  If so, look me up.  I've got a Jim Warner, Pring Dinger and a mean Lemaire just hangin there.  Course I'll probably just adjust yours and make you shorten your reins....... <DUMMY ME>

BTW, we need to sit down and discuss that pic of you.  Did you get anybody to video you on that run?  I have an idea about that. <COLOR GRIN>

Offline ERIN

• Novice Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 02:50:44 PM »
Erin, are you coming to Athens on Sunday?  If so, look me up.  I've got a Jim Warner, Pring Dinger and a mean Lemaire just hangin there.  Course I'll probably just adjust yours and make you shorten your reins....... <DUMMY ME>

BTW, we need to sit down and discuss that pic of you.  Did you get anybody to video you on that run?  I have an idea about that. <COLOR GRIN>
jackie,i would appreciate any help you could give me!yes we did video it .if i shorten my reins anymore they will be up around tex's ears.sunday when we were at henderson i had a nice lady telling me thet tex was pushing thru the s hack and i needed to change to something with a little more control.what do you think?BTH what is going on in athens sunday?
well-behaved women rarely make history

Offline yippeej

• Extreme Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 02:31:46 PM »
Best In Texas - BIT's.  There's a thread on here somewhere about it or look in events section.  I'll be there.  I have several bits you can play with that I'm not using, that way you don't have to spend $$$$$  We will more than likely be parked on the far side and sitting in the first barrel section of the arena.  Same crew from Terrell >:D  I should be there between 9:30 and 10:00 so I can exhibition the problem child.  Ya'll try to come, it'll be fun to get to visit again.

doc o lena bar

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 02:38:50 PM »
ERIN, I have a mare that is like this.  Works great at home in the Little S.  When I run her though, I found that the Janet Stover Hack works great.  I have used the Ed Wright Hack, and it has a bit(pinch) place.  It was not as much control as the Janet Stover Hack either.  I really like mine.  I can really set her in the dirt.

Even though I didn't do it last Sat. at Stephenville, only because I put a wonder bit on her, da............, I'm to blame.

I think you can find this hack at most of the tack stores around the Metro plex area.  I got mine off Ebay.  Hope this helps.  If I am ever at a race where you are, you are more than welcome to try it out.

Offline ERIN

• Novice Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 10:15:10 PM »
ERIN, I have a mare that is like this.  Works great at home in the Little S.  When I run her though, I found that the Janet Stover Hack works great.  I have used the Ed Wright Hack, and it has a bit(pinch) place.  It was not as much control as the Janet Stover Hack either.  I really like mine.  I can really set her in the dirt.

Even though I didn't do it last Sat. at Stephenville, only because I put a wonder bit on her, da............, I'm to blame.

I think you can find this hack at most of the tack stores around the Metro plex area.  I got mine off Ebay.  Hope this helps.  If I am ever at a race where you are, you are more than welcome to try it out.
thanks doc if im ever in the area ill look you up.

Offline pdf75559

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 09:36:49 AM »
Erin,

Have you looked into the Bobby Stivers chain hackamore ? James Ward put one on my horse & it did wonders. They come in long & short shank & the longer shank has more control. Mine was reasonably priced too. I believe it was like $45 .
Pam

kmh

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 01:41:46 PM »
My horse was running through my S-hack.  I purchased a Sherri Cervi long-shank hack.  I still have a hackamore, but now I have whoa.  I don't know if this is related, but, ever since I put it on Squirt he acts like he is a full-fledged pleasure horse.  He carries his head so low I feel like he is going to step on his bottom lip.  He has always carried head low.

Also, when I lope him he feels like he is trotting in the backend he is so slow.  Like I previously said, I don't know if it is related to the bit, but I am real happy with the bit.

Offline ERIN

• Novice Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP.EVERYONE WAS REALLY NICE. I HAVE BORROWED A JIM WARNER FROM YIPPEEJ AND HE IS DOING GREAT SO FAR .PLAN TO RUN HIM THIS WEEKEND AND WE WILL SEE IF HE PAYS ATTENTION.
THANK ALL OF YOU
    ERIN