8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Horse insurance  (Read 2234 times)

Offline playindueces

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Horse insurance
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:06:42 PM »
Who do you use to insure your horses?  Why did you choose that insurance company?  I am looking for the best deal on horse insurance and would love you guys input!!!!!  Thanks a bunch.
Pam

Offline Jess00

• Elite Member
Re: Horse insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 08:57:13 AM »
I use Justin insurance and chose them because of the rate and the amount covered.  I have 2 horses insured ($22000 and $6600) and it costs me a little over $1500 a year.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:45:04 AM »
I choose Wilkins...their rate was 3.25 and their MM was only $210 a year.  Plus, they will pay for injections as long as it's not maintenance.  Injections ate my lunch last year on my horse that was injured and my previous company did not cover them.
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Jess00

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »
OK, Julie, so what do they consider an injection if it's not maintenance?  From my experience if they are injected it  will need repeating, thus being maintenance???  Do they not see it that way?  How much does the MM cover?  I know Justin is $7500 and the others I talked to were $5000.  I did not however call Wilkins (didn't know about them).

Editted to add I was refering to hock injections.  I'm sure there are other injections that are not maintenance.  I may have to shop around again next year for insurance.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 10:12:37 AM by Jess00 »

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 02:20:53 PM »
Well, in my case,  there was obviously a problem other than just plain arthritis in the stifle,(or hock) he came up lame all of the sudden.  Some people inject hocks just because they think they need to. (which I consider maintance) I don't know how they they specifically consider which is maintance or an injury, I guess that would be the vets call.  My vet is the person who referred me to Wilkins because they do pay for injections. 
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Jess00

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 06:08:52 AM »
Well, in my case,  there was obviously a problem other than just plain arthritis in the stifle,(or hock) he came up lame all of the sudden.  Some people inject hocks just because they think they need to. (which I consider maintance) I don't know how they they specifically consider which is maintance or an injury, I guess that would be the vets call.  My vet is the person who referred me to Wilkins because they do pay for injections. 

Thanks for the info, that's very interesting about them paying for injections.  I guess that's what you'd call a "gray" area.  I've never asked my vet about insurance, I guess they WOULD know who pays and who doesn't wouldn't they.