8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: SC rule- how do you feel?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
SC rule- how do you feel?
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
My Aunt was killed when I was younger. I believe in the Death Penalty and with the new decision that the Supreme Court has done will move people off death row, into life sentences.  If I think correctly the State of Texas does not have life with out parole. Some of the people that are on death row, are very disturbed people.  I found this and thought you might be interested.

Wednesday, March 2, 2005
Last modified Wednesday, March 2, 2005 12:07 AM CST

SC rules in death penalty cases

By The Associated Press

HOUSTON - For almost 12 years, Melissa Pena has waited for the execution of five gang members who raped and killed her teenage daughter and a friend and left their bodies to rot in a Houston field. On Tuesday, she learned that day would never come.

"They should die for what they did to my daughter. This is not right," Pena said.

A closely divided Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that it's unconstitutional to execute juvenile killers, ending a practice in Texas and 18 other states that has been roundly condemned by many of America's closest allies.

The 5-4 decision throws out the death sentences of about 70 juvenile murderers, 28 of whom are on Texas's death row. It also bars states from seeking to execute minors for future crimes, saying such executions violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Twenty-two of the people put to death since 1976 were juveniles when they committed their crimes; 13 of them were in Texas.

The ruling triggered cries of outrage from Texas victims' rights activists, victims' relatives, as well as renewed demands for a moratorium on the Texas death penalty - a demand Republican Gov. Rick Perry immediately refused.

But Perry asked the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles to review the state's cases affected by the Supreme Court ruling.

At least two bills pending before the Legislature would prohibit the execution of violent offenders under the age of 18.

"If a bill that brings Texas law in line with the court's ruling reaches my desk I will sign it," Perry said in a prepared statement. "Regardless of what the Legislature does, however, Texas will abide by the court's ruling."

Perry told reporters he would consider signing legislation allowing sentences of life without parole for juveniles, which is now not an option for Texas juries. A life sentence in Texas means a defendant is eligible for parole in 40 years.

Rep. Garnet Coleman of Houston said it was time to end Texas executions, but Perry replied: "The answer is no."

Among the Texas killers affected by the Supreme Court ruling were:

€ Efrain Perez and Raul Villarreal of Harris County (Houston), convicted with three others of the gang-rape and beating deaths of Jennifer Ertman, 14 and Elizabeth Pena, 16. Perez and Villarreal were 17 at the time. Pena's father, Adolph, on Tuesday wore a T-shirt with the girls' photos printed on it. "These people are animals," he said at a news conference held by Harris County murder victims' relatives. "They're the scourge of the streets. If they get out, they will kill again."

€ Robert Springsteen of Travis County (Austin), convicted at 17 in 2001 of the infamous "Yogurt Shop" slayings in which four teenage girls were bound, gagged and fatally shot in the head at a yogurt shop a decade earlier.

€ Jorge Alfredo Salinas, who at 17 carjacked a man in Hidalgo County (McAllen) in July 2001, fatally shot him in the head, and left the man's 21-month-old daughter to die of dehydration and exposure strapped in her car seat in a brush area near the Rio Grande.

Eleven of the juvenile murderers on Texas' death row were convicted in Harris County.

One of them, Johnnie Bernal, was one day shy of his 18th birthday when he shot and killed Lee Dilley as he stood outside a Houston drive-in with his high school prom date.

"Does it make sense that just because he was 17 years and 364 days old he's going to be spared?" asked Harris County prosecutor Roe Wilson, who expressed disappointment that the ruling doesn't allow for individual review of cases.

But Jim Marcus, executive director of the Texas Defender Service, said the decision was long overdue.

"This shows a clear consensus that it's really inappropriate," Marcus said. "It's inappropriate for the same reason that we don't trust juveniles with the right to vote. Juvenile brain and mental development is just not ready."

Janet Green, whose son, Harris County deputy constable Michael Eakin, was shot to death during a traffic stop in 1998 by 17-year-old Michael Lopez, said the Supreme Court was wrong to decide that juveniles are too immature to pay with their lives.

"I've been a teacher for 19 years and kids at 11 know right from wrong," Green said. "They just make poor choices."

Marcus noted that only two other states - Oklahoma and Virginia - have executed a juvenile in the past decade.

"Texas accounts for more than half of the juvenile executions in the modern era of the death penalty," he said. "It's a practice that's not even widely carried out in this country anymore - except in this state."

Texas executed 23 people last year, compared to Ohio, which ranked second with seven executions, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. Alabama was second to Texas in the number of juvenile offenders on its death row with 14.

Stefanie Medland

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
Re: SC rule- how do you feel?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 12:36:36 PM »
I don't think it should be retroactive.  Those already there should be executed.  I think 18 is too old.  If it were say 12 and under, I would probably feel like it might be ok, but still think it should be based on each individual case.
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.
          That is why it is called the present.

Offline stormyblaze

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 07:40:32 PM »
I agree with Sherry. I know of a lot of things I did as a teen where stupid but I still had enough sense to know right from wrong when it came to murder and I believe these people do to. So if it comes to paying with there life they should think about that before committing the crime. If they change it, it will make teens think even less before acting
My definition of a successful ride is if I'm still on the horse when he comes out of the alley

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 08:29:28 PM »
Coming from me, a 14 year old, I would have to say that them changing the law would be pretty much stupid. They are going the wrong direction on punishment, if you are doing something bad, you HARSHEN the punishment. If you ease it up, that doesnt do anything but encourage you to do it again because the consequences arent so bad. Take a dog for example: it chews up your brand new boots, do you spank the dog, or just forget about it? Now if you spank the dog, it is more likely not to do it again, but if you just forget about it, there is no consequences that the dog looks forward to when he chews the shoe again right? So say a kid kills a person, he gets a life sentence or whatever. Other kids and teenagers see that the punishment is not that bad. But if a kid kills a person, and gets the death penalty, do you REALLY think that another kid is going to want to kill another person so bad that they are willing to take the chance of getting the death penalty? Maybe yes and maybe no, but a normal sane kid would rather not take the chance.
I would have to agree with the 12 and under being excluded from the death penalty, but 13 and older ought to know better than that! Just my opinion though!  (hi there)
Dont try and be a bad@$$ over the keyboard.

Offline Dawnya

• Official Wal-Mart Greeter
  • Posse Member
  • Elite Member
    • www.roadkillmercantile.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 08:40:01 PM »
I don't think it should be retroactive. Those already there should be executed. I think 18 is too old. If it were say 12 and under, I would probably feel like it might be ok, but still think it should be based on each individual case.

EXACTLY!
Beware of paranoia

Offline candystarbarrels

• Mega Member
  • With God ALL things are possible!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »
I AGREE. THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD, EVERYONE WANTS TO TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT. I DON'T SEE WHY WE HAVE TO PAY WITH OUR TAXES FOR THESE PEOPLE TO LIVE THE REST OF THEIR LIFE IN SOME JAIL, WHEN THEY SHOULD JUST BE KILLED. I THINK THAT IF SOMEONE IS PSYCHO ENOUGH TO KILL SOMEONE THEY SHOULD BE KILLED THE SAME WAY THAT THEY KILLED. DID THAT MAKE SENSE? WHETHER A TEEN OR AN ADULT, DID THEY STOP BEFORE THEY KILLED SOMEONE AND THINK ABOUT HOW INHUMANE IT WAS. AT LEAST THE PEOPLE THAT ARE ON DEATH ROW, OR BEING EXECUTED GET A CHANCE TO SAY GOODBYE TO THEIR FAMILIES. WHY SHOULD WE GIVE THEM A CHANCE AT LIFE WHEN THEY WERE EAGER TO TAKE IT AWAY FORM SOMEONE ELSE. DID YALL HEAR ABOUT THE LADY IN PLANO, TX THAT CUT HER BABYS ARMS OFF, IF IT WAS UP TO ME THEY SHOULD USE A BUTTER KNIFE AND CUT HER ARMS OFF. IF WE KEEP LETTING UP ON CRIMINALS WHAT IS THE WORLD GOING TO BE LIKE FOR OUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN ETC. BUT AGAIN THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.
As long as you can't imagine it, as long as you can't see it, then it is not going to happen for you!

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 01:28:10 PM »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels that way.
Stefanie Medland

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 07:18:39 PM »
just one more example of PC bullmalarky   if you do the crime ..........
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 12:38:25 PM »
candystar - correction - they should put her in an old weathered barn, stick an arm and a leg in a vise, douse the barn with kerosene give HER the butter knife and then set the place on fire!
seems to me that when you hear about a child committing murder it is evil, horrendous, torturous, without concern for ANYONE, and their victims usually suffer.
no one WANTS to give up a child.... let me correct that ---- no one with a heart and a mind that WORKS wants to give up a child. and even the best of parents can have a child that is just WAY outside the realm of society. but at the age of four 99.99999% of children know right from wrong. you have 9 & 10 year olds and up killing. by choice. after 10, 15, 20 years in state facilities where they WILL be moved up in the system based on their age because they HAVE to be, do you HONESTLY think their minds and hearts are going to be CLEANSED and they are going to have learned how to live the straight and narrowing God fearing path while incarcerated? if you do, you have a severly loose grasp on the reality of conditions in those facilities. from the day they enter they are made to make a choice in order to live or die. it DOESN'T get better from there! at a young age, SURE, TRY rehabilitation, say for a term of 5 years? or whatever. but don't turn them out on society to see if it's worked! not only that, most inmates who have been held for a length of time will tell you they don't want out! they know their world in there, they fit their world in there and will break the law in order to return. something is wrong with a person to lust to take the life of another human to begin with. i'm not talking about the outrage and anger kind of thing, the heat of passion. i'm talking about the calculating, patient, planned kind of thing. those PEOPLE will not get better with age. smarter maybe. not caught so easily, but not better in their thinking. just my opinion, as redneck as it may be. but i don't want some 40 y/o who was put in prison at the age of 16 for slicing his parents to death living next to my daughter or grandchildren. he should have been put down a LONG time ago!! he'd have had a better end than his parents did!
NOW!!! want to hear my idea on how RAPIST should be handled???!!!! LOL
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Downthealley

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »

just now got a chance to read this and man...  :!

all this time I thought SC rule was a board member and you were asking how they were feeling! LOL

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 04:26:32 PM »

just now got a chance to read this and man...  :!

all this time I thought SC rule was a board member and you were asking how they were feeling! LOL

lol, I thought the same thing. Then everyone started posting and Im thinking, geez, someone got hurt! lol

Downthealley

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:55 PM »

WE HAD "SHELBY" MOMENTS TOGETHER!!

Offline canchaser253

• Elite Member
  • Shelby Nicole
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »
lol, I seem to have those often. My most recent one was when I walked into a door that I thought wasnt locked and now my lip hurts  :)/\\  <HI>

Offline jropergirl

• I'm 10 miles from my mailbox, 45 miles from the closest town in nowhere SD. Life rocks!
  • Mega Member
  • Lord, give me wings and let me fly!
    • The South Dakota Cowgirl
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 03:17:34 PM »
Coming from me, a 14 year old, I would have to say that them changing the law would be pretty much stupid. They are going the wrong direction on punishment, if you are doing something bad, you HARSHEN the punishment. If you ease it up, that doesnt do anything but encourage you to do it again because the consequences arent so bad. Take a dog for example: it chews up your brand new boots, do you spank the dog, or just forget about it? Now if you spank the dog, it is more likely not to do it again, but if you just forget about it, there is no consequences that the dog looks forward to when he chews the shoe again right? So say a kid kills a person, he gets a life sentence or whatever. Other kids and teenagers see that the punishment is not that bad. But if a kid kills a person, and gets the death penalty, do you REALLY think that another kid is going to want to kill another person so bad that they are willing to take the chance of getting the death penalty? Maybe yes and maybe no, but a normal sane kid would rather not take the chance.
I would have to agree with the 12 and under being excluded from the death penalty, but 13 and older ought to know better than that! Just my opinion though!  (hi there)

You go girl!
www.ducheneaux.com- ranch raised quarter horses
www.streakiniron.com- barrel horses
http://thesouthdakotacowgirl.com See photos and learn stuff about the ranch!