8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Question about foaling and the moon - ???  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Question about foaling and the moon - ???
« on: March 05, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »
Is it the new moon or a full moon when a mare is most likely to foal?  :(((( :see-ya:
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Amy Lee Fecht

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Question about foaling and the moon - ???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 11:24:59 PM »
Don't know the answer to that one... I bought a 4 month old (he's 10 this year) and the owners (husband/wife both vets) always weaned their babies with the "sign of the moon" when they were 6 months....
God is Good, All the Time!

Downthealley

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 12:06:41 AM »
I know with women they say Full Moon

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 12:31:06 AM »
I'm getting antsy about my mare........more like nervous as usual! Her mammary glands are full but her bag is not yet. She's due around April 1st. Right now she's at 314 days. Nervous grandma here!  (woohoo) <DUMMY ME>
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Amy Lee Fecht

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 01:11:11 AM »
I'd be very excited about waiting, too!! Just make sure you have that camera ready for the new arrival! We want to see the baby when it gets here!!
God is Good, All the Time!

Offline MJCRacer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 08:11:18 PM »
 <COLOR GRIN>Pam....it's the full moon, but don't always count on it....storms also cause some mares to go into labor.
    My two fillies were born at two totally different times from their known conception and calendar due dates.  My first was nearly a month late.  Mom was a first timer,but handled like a trouper.  It was Friday evening.  The mare started looking at her stomach and pacing.  I called the vet who told me that it would be HOURS until she gave birth.  I hung up the phone, walked outside and the baby's legs were already coming out!
I got to imprint her.  it was just plain awesome!

The next baby was born almost a month later.  I was at school when the baby was born.  I came home and my lead mare and the mama were out in the pasture with this cream colored thing with them.  My lead mare acted like she had the baby!  it was pretty neat, she was not as healthy looking as the first so I picked the baby up and carried her and her mom to the vet's.  The vet said the second baby was more like what a newborn should look like (she looked like a goat and walked on her ankles) she said the first baby was "SUPER HEALTHY"  Anyway, long story longer....they are both two year olds, extremely athletic and I can't wait to start riding them!

I have a baby due next month....the lead mare's first. I can't wait to see what it looks like!
MJ
Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life....Sofia Loren