8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Revoke PETA's Tax-Exempt Status  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Revoke PETA's Tax-Exempt Status
« on: February 07, 2005, 02:19:11 AM »
Some time ago, you indicated your support for an on-line petition asking the IRS to revoke the federal tax-exempt status of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). While we're still hard at work trying to realize this goal, our most recent education effort is a new report exposing how PETA is targeting American children with its destructive messages.

PETA prides itself on attention-grabbing publicity stunts, but handing out graphic and violent propaganda materials to kids as young as six years old is extremely inappropriate. In some cases, PETA camps out in forunt of schools, intercepting small children as they walk to and from classes.

Examples of PETA's grotesque activism includes a comic titled “Your Mommy Kills Animals” (see below). Another PETA brochure, called “Question Authority,” shows a hand holding a bloody knife (also below). PETA activists also distribute stencils for spray-paint vandalism, stickers with obscene messages, and buckets of fake "blood" meant to scare kids away from eating meat. Shock tactics like these can scar children for life, and few parents realize their young ones are being targeted. Some of it is even done inside the schools, through the help of misguided teachers.

I hope you’ll read this groundbreaking report and pass it along to every parent and teacher that you know.

Sincerely,

David Martosko
Director of Research
Center for Consumer Freedom
www.ConsumerFreedom.com

Here is the report
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm?article=156
And here are the photos
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 02:58:26 AM by Bob "Lightining" Gould »
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Revoke PETA's Tax-Exempt Status
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 02:20:26 AM »
From Lacy:
I believe that there should be a governing body out there that will teach ethical treatment of animals and protect the animals that are being mistreated, BUT... what PETA does is entirely unappropriate and cruel. If someone decides to eat meat etc. others with overly loud opinions do not have the right to force thier thoughts on them. PETA should not only have their tax exemptions revoked but should also be reprimanded for thier obscene advertisements. What they are doing in schools and things they pass out only further push kids today to break the law if they see something they do not "like" at that moment. PETA: Grow up and handle matters in a polite American mature way.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 02:21:03 AM »
From Dana:
This has been going on for quite sometime. I say that because 20 years ago when i was about 7 i was always receiving mail from PETA. How they got my name and address i will never know. There were pictures of actual dead animals and animals that were used for testing that went wrong. I had nightmares from these pictures for a long time. My Mom would head me off at the mailbox so i never saw any more of it.
I totally agree that something should be done about this. now having sons of my own i am outraged that they would go so low as to expose children to this.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 02:21:44 AM »
UPDATE:
 PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland on her use of insulin, which was tested on animals:

"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."
--Glamour, January 1990

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 02:22:35 AM »
From Kim Bandl:
Yes, it has been going on for a long time... Focus needs to be on education and population control of our domestic animals (cats and dogs)Meaning, they should be their "funds" into donations of population control and actually helping homeless,abused animals. Their beliefs, what they advertise and stand for are outragious as well as how they go about presenting this to the public, ESPECIALLY our children!

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 02:23:11 AM »
From Janice:
I am angry at PETA right now so I might not be objective in my thoughts about them. Saturday 8/16/04 my beloved grand-daughter had survived 2 years of chemo and leukemia. As a special treat for her, my daughter and son-in-law arranged to take this precious child that is only now 4 1/2 years old (YES she's been on chemo since age 2 1/2 and has another year to go) to the Ringling Circus in the metroplex. PETA people were protesting outside the entry way. One woman tried to force materials on my grand-daughter which my daughter refused. The woman then started shouting that "dead baby elephants were being found in the parks". This is what my beloved Marisa came away from her supposed to be joyous day at the circus. Dead baby elephants in the park! What hockey! I don't care what legislation, etc... is required. My family has in the past supported this cause of animal abuse..BUT we will no longer support PETA! They are fanatics!

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 02:24:08 AM »
From Ann:
PETA consistently spreads false statements, half truths, and downright lies. If they were as committed to truly protecting animals as they are being offensive and outrageous, they might do some good. Yes, they should have their tax-emempt status taken away. They should stop scaring school children and shoving things in peoples faces when we go to rodeos, etc. They should just GO AWAY.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 02:24:39 AM »
From Keith:
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT OUR GOVERNMENT IS GIVING TAX EXEMPTIONS TO A CULT OF JOBLESS PSYCHOS THAT EVERYONE OF THE LEADERS HAS A CRIMINAL RECORD OF TRESSPASSING, DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY OVER $500.00 (FELONY), ASSAULT (FELONY), AND MANY OTHER CHARGES. I KNOW, IVE BEEN IN COURT SEVERAL TIMES WITH THESE CAPITAL L, (LOSERS). THESE PSYCHOS ARE THE POSTER CHILD OF EVERYTHING YOU DONT WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO BE IN LIFE

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 02:25:48 AM »
From Jane Gray:
PETA began as a very good organization. They were concerned with the rights of animals. I too received graphic literature in the mail. It made me open my eyes to what is really going on in our hard, cold, cruel world. I had heard the rumors, but seeing with your own eyes is totally different. I began to boycott the brands that test on animals. And still do. Not that my decision to not buy those items were going to make them go broke or stop the testing, but it made me feel like I am at least trying to do my part. And after 50 years, surely they felt it a little. Too many makeup companies, etc., can produce these products without testing on animals, especially it this day and time. I can understand health and medicine issues a little more, but it would only be a fool to put hairspray, or bleach, or another chemical in your eyes. Even an idiot would know that it would hurt. Duh !!! So why do a rabbit that way or any other animal? Most people, like other things, would rather just turn their heads than do something about it. I see that each and every day. Is it better to just "not know"? But PETA has the guts to say and do something about animal testing. I do not agree with everything they do, but I don't agree with everything our government does --do you? If your young child is allowed to receive her own uncensored mail, then it is the parents fault, not PETA's. If you buy products tested on animals, it is your fault, not PETA's. Perhaps if you had a list of companies and products, and if you saw these animals and their pains, then you could not fault someone that does care. God put the animals here first. As an after thought he created man to care for them. Read your Bible. We were vegetarians until the Ice Age. What does that tell you? PETA does go overboard on many things, but someone has to, to get all the rest of us to open our eyes and actually see and hopefully FEEL for these animals, who cannot do anything for theirselves. And you out there that have one litter after another of cats and dogs, and then offer them to the public for free, should know that people with lions, tigers, snakes, etc., get these live babies for food for their animals. How can you just sit there and do this?????? Only uncaring, uneducated people could support the use of animals in testing. We would not need organizations like PETA if there was no problem. Wake-up !!! Become a part of this society by learning about what is happening in laboratories across the country. It would surprise you, unless PETA has sent you the facts. Thank you PETA for at least awakening some passion in some people. The animals deserve it.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 02:26:27 AM »
Mariel:
Animal rights and animal welfare are two different things. Animal rights people such as PETA and the HSUS believe that animals have the same rights as people: they should not be consumed (this means eating no meat whatsoever), leather products should not be allowed (no boots,saddles,etc.), no bird or deer hunting, no fur coats,etc., and they try to force their beliefs on the rest of us through terroristic acts. Animal welfare groups such as the American Humane Society promote humane treatment of animals. They discourage animal abuse of any kind such as using animals for painful lab experiments. Before you make any donations to any groups, first research it.