8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: a newbie here......need help getting started  (Read 1484 times)

Offline newbie

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
a newbie here......need help getting started
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:08:05 PM »
i have a 4 yr old that wants to barrel race.. my questions are is how do we get started. we have a non trained horse (2 yrs old) but comes from a long line of great barrel horses. What can i do to get started, i know nothing about it, lol.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: a newbie here......need help getting started
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:03:27 PM »
Welcome to the board! I'm not sure which state you live in but perhaps there are some events in your area that have some lead-line classes that you could lead your child through on a well-broke, bomb proof pony or horse to get him/her started. A two year old non-trained horse is never a good idea around a child. Too many things could happen on even a well trained older horse. I hope you can find some reputable horse people that could guide you and your child in your learning process. Good luck and keep us posted!
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:12:01 PM »
Welcome Newbie!!!  Glad you joined us.  I would have to agree with Pam.  A young horse is never a good idea for a beginner rider.  I started my daughter out in Playdays.  She had lots of fun and a few of the kids were just starting out just like her.  Good luck!
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Capt Jack

• Customer of Bob's Burgers n Fries Ranch.
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • Best lookin' Captain on the Seven Seas!
    • www.ginnysequinesupplements.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:03:15 AM »
 <HI> Welcome to you. :*