8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Expecting Mom looking for suggestions  (Read 3958 times)

Offline brlboogie

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Expecting Mom looking for suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 10:35:45 AM »
Ya'll have brought up somethings I hadn't thought about, but I am certainly not a Doc to realize what all could happen, that's why I asked for advice!!  My husband says the mare is still at least 2 weeks away from being in shape to run any jackpots, no matter how small.  I guess I'll just see how things are going then and if it's going to be a comfortable undertaking or not. I certainly trust the mare, she's been more places than I have!  And she is very smooth to ride.  I loped her through a pattern before taking her and she is much smoother than the horse I was riding.  'Course that was at a lope.  I may just stick to exercise riding.  At least that way after the baby is born she will be ready to go!!!  How early is too early to teach a child to ride?  No, just kidding on that last part!  Thank you all, this is a great place to ask questions! :)/\\

Offline brlboogie

• Novice Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 10:38:50 AM »
Oh, I forgot to add, I'm 29 (almost for the 2nd time!) and pardon the pun but the Doc said I'm healthy as a horse.

Offline Rheatta1

• Veteran Member
    • CampJunction's Ranch Home Page
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 04:09:25 PM »
 :()& I rode up until the night before I had Carson.  I was 35, he was my first & I got off of my horse @ 11pm.  I went into labor @ 5am and was past due.  My doc said the same thing - do what you feel like doing, listen to your body.  But he did say don't start anything new, if you've only been pleaseure riding, getting your balance running while pregnant may be a problem.  Good luck *:@
"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"

"Live like you are dying but treat others like you want to be treated"

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2005, 07:12:25 PM »
okay, I'm currently almost 33 weeks- (almost 8months) I'm 31 years old and this is my 1st. I rode till I was 7 months pregnant. Now I don't ride cause I simple don't have the energy and plus it is getting so hot. That heat takes alot out of me and working a full time job is tough. Also I seen at the blast how close my belly was to the saddle horn.

The doctor told me that I could ride. He said I would know when to stop. He was right.  I watched what horses I got on and we have alot of young horses but I got on the ones that I really knew would not do something.

I have not rode in a couple of weeks and its killing me!!!!!! :\\((( I miss it and will be glad when I have this baby. I'm due August 18th and hope this baby comes early.  My husband rides saddle bronc horses and I have gone to rodeos with him and I just sit there wishing!!!!  I know it is worth it but I have never been in the stands just to cheer someone on  and not be riding my self...  But I want to support him, he went with me all the time.

Do what you are comfortable with and go from there.

About what people said you will be surprised.  You will get alot more that support you and will help you then frown on what you are doing. If you have a hauling partner then this is a good time for them to help you. You need to watch what you do such as lifting and accidents do happen. If you have a partner there they can basically help saddle and load the horse for you. 

But I will tell you like a very special person told me.. no matter what people say you do what you can live with. If you can live with taken the chance then do it.  There are a lot of barrel racers out there that have rode but just stay alert and dont take any chances- watch the ground, if the ground is questionable then dont enter. This is the time you can be very picky of where you ride.

Good luck...
Stefanie Medland

Offline Andie Guess

• What?
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • $5 fine for whining
    • NBRA
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »
Amen, lilbit
'I'm your huckleberry' Doc Holiday

Offline turnincircles

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 10:27:14 PM »
I actually found out at a barrel race that I was pregnant.  I finished that weekend, but didn't ride anymore after that.  But I know a lot of people who have and everything turned out fine.  My decision not to ride was a personal one.  It took me 7 years to get pregnant and to me the risk just wasn't worth it.  It was a miracle that I ever got pregnant and I wasn't going to tempt fate.  Just take it slow and see how your body responds to being pregnant.  Some people never miss a stride while others are not very good pregnant people.  If it doesn't feel right don't do it.  Your mare isn't that old and will be there long after your finished being pregnant.  Good luck and congratulations.
You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.

Offline horses4life

• Novice Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »
I am not a mom yet, but this subject is one I have pondered on quite a bit. I hear allot of people say their doctors say riding is too rough. I don't get that. There is more concussion on my body when I jog than any gait on a horse. Especially, a smooth one. I plan to let my body tell me what to do and stay on horses I know really well. My little horse is really smooth and surefooted as can be so if anybody carries me around it will probably be him.

As far as other people go....you know how that can be. I feel like if they don't take the time to get the whole story before they make up their mind about something I am doing I am better off without their opinion anyway.

Congratulations on baby and new horse. I am sure both will be allot of fun.

Offline Txropenrun

• Extreme Member
  • Calder's Mom
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 09:36:22 AM »
I rode until I had my son. He was 5 1/2 weeks early but it was due to other problems. I won a saddle on Saturday and had him on Tuesday. He was fine. He was early becasue when I went in to have a check up his heart was under stress. THe umbilical cord was wrapped around something ( ended up being around his arm) so the doctor induced labor. I had ridden prior to getting pregant and my Doctor said it wouuld be fine to continue riding. I had decided that I was going to quit riding after that weekend but more so becasue it was November and I wanted to take some time off. I think it just does depend on your body and how well it takes you riding.
If it ain't happened, it just ain't happened yet.....