8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Nitrogen in passenger tires  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Julie

• Mega Member
  • Honey I Got The Cash
Nitrogen in passenger tires
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:07:04 PM »
I recently had my tires rotated and balanced on my truck and the man gave me a brochure on filling my tires with Nitrogen instead of air.  He said it improves gas mileage, tire life and safety.  He said nitrogen doesn't get as hot as air and doesn't seep out as fast because it has a larger molecule than air, so proper air inflation is maintained for longer periods of time.  He said that race car drivers use it and airplanes use it in their tires.  I know he was just a "salesman" but I have known this man personally for a number of years and he said his wife told him she can see a little difference in her gas mileage.  And with gas/diesel on the rise, every little bit helps.   I am also considering it for my horse trailer tires as well.  I know this is way off the subject of br....but it may help some that spend lots of time on the road going to rodeos.
(air can be added to the nitrogen if you are off somewhere that doesn't have nitrogen and you need a little air)
Sometimes what's  right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Offline Capt Jack

• Customer of Bob's Burgers n Fries Ranch.
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • Best lookin' Captain on the Seven Seas!
    • www.ginnysequinesupplements.com
Re: Nitrogen in passenger tires
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 08:41:45 AM »
All race cars no use and inert gas (such as N) in the tires for the very reasons you stated.  A draw back is that if you have to add air to the tire some where along the road, that tire will inflate to a higher pressure as the HO2 becomes hat and expands.  Another disadvantage is that you have to empty the tire when you get back home and refill with n.  So it is a personal call.  We do not use n and we drive tons of miles in the motorhomes, vans, etc., Because when we blow a tire and the tire guy comes to replace it on the side of the road, he is gonna have to use ho2 and that tire will over inflate.  It is just your call on that one. :yes: