8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Reconditioning older horse  (Read 1974 times)

Offline barrelracer57

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Reconditioning older horse
« on: June 26, 2005, 04:05:21 PM »
Hi.....I'm looking for suggestions on reconditioning an older horse that has been out to pasture for the last couple of years.  She is out of shape and has a grass belly.  She has a reining horse handle on her but was only used for pleasure and trail riding.  I think she's going to make a nice barrel horse.  I've already begun to do just lots of walking and some trotting.  Thanks.....

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: Reconditioning older horse
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 05:26:53 PM »
Just keep up what you are doing and lope some large slow circles. Small circles are very hard on horse. Eventually try trotting up some hills and maybe some sand. After I have one in pretty good shape and heart rate and breathing slower, I start breezing a short distance then walking then breeze some more, etc. Just like you would build yourself up to more strenuous activity, take your time with your horse. I firmly believe that the better condition your horse is in, the less chance for injuries you will have. Hope this helps a little but sounds like you are already on the right track!
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Rheatta1

• Veteran Member
    • CampJunction's Ranch Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »
I just addressed a simular issue to Martha Wright in the "trainers corner" last week.  She gave about the same advice but you may like to read it.  Good luck >PEACE<
"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"

"Live like you are dying but treat others like you want to be treated"

Offline barrelracer57

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:38:27 PM »
Thanks for your advice....that's about what I had planned....just thought someone might come up with a time schedule.....like 15 minutes walking, 15 trotting, etc...so many days a week, etc....thanks again.

Offline Rheatta1

• Veteran Member
    • CampJunction's Ranch Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 11:31:32 PM »
I started Rheatta out on the walker 15 min each way(30 min daily workout) for a week.  Then increased it to a total 45 min work out every day for a week.  Then I took him out and started riding him for an hour, just walking, slowly adding about 30 min by the end of each week.  I started this week taking him to the local arena and breezing the barrel pattern 1-2 times and loping circles.  He's not as winded any more and he's not doing the nasal flaring thing.  Of course, I'm in SouthEast Texas and the heat index is 107 and feels like 190  :\\(((. 

He seems to be doing fine though.  You just have to watch your horse and pace him accordingly.  I wouldn't over do it, it's not worth it.
"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"

"Live like you are dying but treat others like you want to be treated"

Offline Dawnya

• Official Wal-Mart Greeter
  • Posse Member
  • Elite Member
    • www.roadkillmercantile.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »
How old is this horse? 
I'm *thinking* of entering my old mare at Waco.  She's 22 but bright-eyed and won't think twice about running the other horses away from her feed.  I'd like to ride her a couple days a week until then, and let her cruise at her own speed at Waco.  Am I a mean mommy?!
I'm going to take her to Alvarado this Tuesday night and see...
Beware of paranoia

Offline nfrchamp2005

• Novice Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 01:06:39 AM »
What I usually do when ever Im trying to get a horse conditioned is buy some healthy coat liquid and mix it with a half a coffee can of alfalfa pellets and then do lots of long trotting. And that will get him get in real good shape. thats what I do with my older open rodeo horses and it works great!so good luck

Offline spearsalb

• Novice Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 08:22:38 AM »
Lots of long trotting, and then build up to loping in a week.  After that, alternate trotting and loping, no tight circles until the soreness wears off.  Then in about three weeks, start asking for more intricate circles and movements.