8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: MAJOR allleyway problems  (Read 3895 times)

Offline tinkerbell_x3

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
MAJOR allleyway problems
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:35:32 PM »
i have a 7 year old horse and we got him when he was 5 and have come a long way but he's developed a serious issue about going in the alleyway. We've tried injecting his hock, stifles, not riding for 3 weeks, walking in and out, and a couple other things but its gotten to the point where i have to get off and walk him in and my friend has to help me. but last weekend at NBHA state i was about to get on and he reared up when i clipped the reins and then took off down the isles. luckily someone caught him but my mom said my friend isn't allowed to walk him in anymore and if i don't find a way to get him in then she wont let me barrel race anymore and i have to sell him. i can handle him but my parents think its too dangerous but the last thing i want to do is sell him because I've had a TON of comments on how good of a team we are. oh and he doesn't even show any signs of pain, but what else can i do?  ???

thanks -Kari

Kari,

You are going to have to figure out why this horse is so worried about having to go into the arena.  He is trying to tell you that there is some kind of problem and it's up to you to figure out what is causing his reaction.  How much slow work do you do with this horse?  Sounds like he needs lots of it in order to keep his mind quiet and calm and to let him know that he doesn't have to run every time he goes to the arena.  You many need to take him to some races and DON'T RUN - just ride him around and maybe in and out of the arena without ever taking him around the pattern. If he stays calm, then the next time you take him, work him but only slowly - walking and trotting only.  You might also have him examined by a good equine chiropractor and get anothers vet's opinion.  Be sure and tell them everything that is happening when you make a competitive run.

And, I agree with your Mom - your friend doesn't need to be leading him in for you - if you can't get him in without assistance, then you need to figure out what the problem might be before you make any more competitive runs on him.
Martha Wright
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 08:42:01 PM by Bob Gould »