News > Losses

PEPPY SAN BADGER PUT TO REST AT 31 YEARS OLD

(1/1)

Bob Gould:
Amarillo, Texas, July 13, 2005 – The American Quarter Horse Association was informed today by press release from King Ranch that one of the cutting horse industry’s greatest sires, Peppy San Badger, was put to sleep on July 8, 2005, in his paddock at King Ranch in Kingsville, Texas.  Sired by Mr San Peppy and out of the great mare Sugar Badger, the stallion, affectionately known as “Little Peppy,” was one of the all-time leading sires in NCHA history.  Because of his age and deteriorating health, King Ranch management and family members made the difficult but humane decision to euthanize the great horse.  He was 31 years old.  Ranch management reported that Little Peppy had done quite well during the past several years.  He was retired in a paddock behind the Creek Barn where he ate well and was content to live a quiet life. His last public appearance was during the observance of the 150th Anniversary of King Ranch.  It was on this day that Little Peppy was reunited with Buster Welch, his long-time trainer, for the first time in years.  “It’s like we’ve never been apart,” said Buster, and the horse seemed to agree. Buster was notified about Little Peppy’s death just hours afterwards.  After a very long pause, Buster stated, “He was the greatest horse I ever threw a leg over.  He was so unusual in the fact that he had so much dignity.  He was a pleasure to do anything with, and had the highest intelligence I ever saw in a horse.” Tio Kleberg agreed. “He was the greatest American Quarter Horse sire and athlete the King Ranch has ever owned,” Kleberg said.

Little Peppy is known by most for his exceptional cutting abilities in the arena and out with the herd.  Helen Kleberg Groves, daughter of King Ranch’s Bob Kleberg, said, “I was fortunate enough to have loped Little Peppy and realized that he was by far the most ambidextrous horse I’d ever ridden.  Right before the (National Cutting Horse Association) Futurity in 1977, I told Buster ‘you mustn’t let him loose in front of a cow until competition time – with the kind of moves he makes with his legs, I’m not sure he’ll be able to take it!’”  It was those moves that rendered him a standing ovation after winning the 1977 NCHA Futurity.  The Futurity championship was only the beginning, however.  He then won the 1978 NCHA Derby, was the 1979 Reserve World Champion, and also won the 1981 NCHA Finals.  Throughout his show career, the stallion accumulated earnings of $172,710.  He then followed in the footsteps of his sire, Mr San Peppy, into the NCHA Hall of Fame in December 1980. Besides his accomplishments in the cutting arena, Peppy San Badger was the all-time leading sire of NCHA competition cutting horses until he was surpassed only 2 years ago.  However, his offspring continue to keep his name and the famed King Ranch in the limelight. According to AQHA records, out of 19 foal crops, Peppy San Badger sired 2,323 foals with a combined 7,195.5 lifetime points in all divisions. According to the King Ranch release, those sired by Little Peppy have won some $25 million.

Little Peppy’s bloodline remains predominant in the remuda on the King Ranch, and the legendary horse will continue to have an important role in King Ranch’s future breeding program. “He was a gift, you know,” said King Ranch Quarter Horse Manager Cody Crider. “You can plan and breed all you want, but you won’t get a horse like this ‘on purpose,’ even though we will all keep on trying.” Helen Groves and others agree.  Little Peppy’s grave marker will now stand among other greats such as Old Sorrel, Wimpy, Assault, Middleground, Anita Chica and Mr San Peppy at the King Ranch Headquarters.

jules7263:
What a GREAT Horse, my husband is fortunate enough to own one of his sons, Badger is 10 and is one fine Heel Horse. We are very lucky to have a horse with such good breeding.

debhorses:
we have a beautiful golden buckskin stallion that is his grandson...he's awesome!

Javelina:
I just graduated from A&M-Kingsville, and last year through one of my animal science courses ,we had the opportunity to go see Little Peppy. He looked amazing for his age! I am so grateful  I had that chance!

Rheatta1:
I just purchased a beautiful buckskin grullo stallion that is a grandson.  Now I don't know whether to geld him or keep him intact to see what he does.  He just turned two and I have high hopes for him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version