8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Win More Productions Proportional Payout for Oct & Nov Races  (Read 36476 times)

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: Win More Productions Proportional Payout for Oct & Nov Races
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2005, 01:19:46 PM »
Ok, last year I placed 6th in the 1D and got a check for $15.60 where the winner of the 2D, 3D, and 4D all got a check for $106.60...........So what, I still placed in the 1D.  Let me explain.  I have never in my life had a horse that was 1D little lone 2D.  Never ridden one before I bought and trained the mare I am riding now.  So for us to place up there in the higher D's 1D, 2D, means more to me that the whole money thing.  I know I am probably different than alot of people, but I'm not in it to get rich.  Its not about the money to me.

Pam you are right about discussing things on here.  I have just seen too many of these go South and its like beating a dead horse, if you know what I mean. 
Who knows how this will turn out.  Sorry I get so deffensive when it comes to payout.  I guess I'm just tired of people complaining all the time about not getting enough money for where they placed.  I guess if I was one of those top runners all the time I could see more clearly.  All though I have been running in the top 2D, bottom 1D, and even top 1D, but not consitant yet.  I'll just give this a whirl and see how it turns out.

You don't have to apologize Doc. We know where you are coming from.... let's look at the way you see things. Sure you got less money but now your horse is worth more money and you had a blast and the satisfaction of placing in the 1-D! How cool is that?!

Now the other side of the coin. Fast forward to a year later: Can you compare your placing to the pros if they no longer show up? I'm not saying they won't come. Shoot some of them come just to get a run in on some good ground and pick up a little fuel money. But what if?
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Done That

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2005, 01:26:48 PM »
I think it's great to discuss all of the pros and cons of new ideas in the sport of barrel racing. It doesn't mean you do or don't want to go. It helps to get other opinions so that if there are any kinks they can get worked out beforehand they can be addressed. Barrel racing is something we all love and discussing changes openly is good for all of us. I'm very neutral on this new payout right now. Not sure whether I like it or not yet. Just throwing out some things to think about.

I'm not saying I won't come to these either.  I'm just giving my opinion of 1D horses getting less money for the big effort.  I hope I have not offended anyone.  Was not my intention.  Just throwing out my ideas on this.  I just hate to see barrel racing lose the good horses because they are in the minority.  That is what competition is all about.  I have never begrudged anyone who out ran me honestly......always made me work harder.  I guess we will see how it turns out.  But I am sure not going to be "mad" about it.  Just disappointed.

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2005, 01:33:35 PM »
Ok, I don't know where to begin.  I kinda have mixed feeling, but then again I don't.  This payout is not how all races are going to be run.  You have the choice to enter or not.  At least you will know up front how things are laid out.  Its self explanitory.  Those that don't like it don't have to come and run.  Who knows, there might be 200 runners that run in the 1D that race.  No one will know until the last horse runs.  I for one will continue to try to make these shows.  I'm going out there to do the best I can no matter where I fall.  Suppose I win the 1D, I don't get the biggest check that is handed out that day, so what.  I still won the race and that speaks for itself.  I can go home knowing in my head that I had the best and fastest horses that day.  Its not always about money.  90% of those entering these races have a full time job that pays their bills or have a spouce that has a good job that pays the bills.  Only about 10% of the people entering horses do it for a living.  I do it for the fun and to maybe get to that top spot someday and be able to be consistant enough to stay there for a while and maybe someday fullfill one of my goals of getting my permit to be able to run at Mesquit.  Thats all i would like to do.  I don't care for the rodeo scene.  Too much on the road time.  So lets just look at the big picture here.

I think all the Win More crew is doing here is what we have all complained about over that past several years.  Too many times I have read a post about the D system and how people don't like it that the lower D horses don't get more money. From entry fees being the same, feed, training, and etc........  This producers listened to ya'll, and has done something about it.  Lets give it a try and see how it works. 

Like I said, to many of us, its not about the money.  It about where you place and having that to carry with you and know that you placed where you did.  I am going to try my best to support this payout as long as I can afford to go and run.  Even with the payout change, that doesn't mean that I'm going to place at all.  I have been one of those that falls between the cracks for several years.  Once in a blue moon will I fall where I need to the get a check. 

Desty, you guys keep up the great work, and for those contestants that complained over the years about the 1D getting more and they thought that the lower D's show get the same, ......Thank you for listening to what the majority of the contestants wanted.

See ya'll in Glen Rose.

very well said amy for those  in it for the love of the sport (the majority ) just knowing you made that 1-d run rocks  , I totally understand that does not pay the bills for those doing it for a living but if you look at this perspective if you do win the 1-d at this race its still gonna be a very nice paycheck and mmore than you would get at most rodeos  and you will have perfect ground to get it on
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline ITDASH

• Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2005, 01:36:14 PM »
done that I dont think you have offended anyone, your opinion is just as welcome here as every one elses  ,  even though  people  can disagree on things does not mean we cant have a healthy discussion over it , andif this thread continues  with  the discussion the way it has been it will be just that  a healthy discussion

Offline *****

• Novice Member
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2005, 01:39:22 PM »
I Have never posted on here before but on this subject i just had to put my 2 cents in.
 First of all, as far as the risk goes for running a 1-D horse versus a 4-D horse is that if your 4-D horse gets hurt, yes you have lost something you love very much but finaciially you haven't lost near as much as if your 1-D horse gets hurt. You can go out and buy another 4-D horse for a couple thousand. True 1-D horses are far a few between. They take years to train lots to buy. The more risk the more the reward should be..I think that this system of barrel racing will do nothing but reward mediocricy, people will lose the hunger to want to run in the 1-D if they can win more in the 4-D.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2005, 01:45:32 PM »
That's a good name: *****  Wish I'd thought of that!  rofl

Seriously though.......point taken.........carry on!
  *:o :skeerd:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 01:51:25 PM by Pam Cantwell »
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Roadrunner

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2005, 01:52:05 PM »
the 1-d horse didnt out run 300 other horses it out ran the rest of the horses in the 1-d  /quote]
I disagree, he outran 300 other horses, it is just how they performed that determines how many were in his division
I think this system rewards mediocrity. Why would anyone want to run a potential 1D horse-there is more money in the 5D.
After the 1D, it is a roll of the dice on where and if you place, no matter how good or bad your run was.
You could just let everyone run for the fun of it & then draw #'s to see who gets a check and accomplish the same thing
In the example the 5D is practiacally the high money winner-for being 2 sec off the pace & running with one of the larger "groups"
This just seems so wrong to me.
JMO

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2005, 01:57:46 PM »
The fact is no matter how you look at it. 3D supports the industry. It is the people from the 3D who spend the most video buy the most tanner times and on and on. I remember when the 3D races got started everyone was screaming it will never work it will destroy the industry. But just the opposite happen the industry boomed the price of horses jump up the number of race with large purses climbed. Now the industry is in a slump. Producers and vendors are making less money. Something has to be done and as a vendor I can see that it could pull in more of the folks that do spend money.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline *****

• Novice Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
I dont think that paying less places in the 1-D so that the pay will be higher is the right answer either. When there are say 30 people in the 1-D out of 400 more than the top 7 deserve to get money if you out run 390 people you deserve some money because you didnt just out run the other 20 in your D you out ran the other 390 in the barrel race. Then you pay 20 deep in the other D's just because there are more of them. If your argument for this is that it cost just as much for the other D's to go up and down the road then what is wrong with equal payout. Now the 1-D is getting shafted. Yes the 3 and 4 D are the majority but thats because its the easiest place to be!!!

Offline *****

• Novice Member
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2005, 02:05:29 PM »
Mabey the Vendors need some new products... I dont think that this format will draw more barrel racers but we shall see

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2005, 02:14:57 PM »
Mabey the Vendors need some new products... I dont think that this format will draw more barrel racers but we shall see

I was going to say something really out of line here but I won't since I'm not sure if this was said as a joke or not.......How about if I ask, "What do you suggest?"

Offline *****

• Novice Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2005, 02:17:46 PM »
Yeah, i see how that could sound bad, but i am sorry i did not mean it like that in any way

Offline ITDASH

• Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2005, 02:20:15 PM »
up to this point this has reamined cival  it will stay that way with no slamming or derogatory remarks  everyone clear on this ?

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2005, 02:21:30 PM »
The fact is no matter how you look at it. 3D supports the industry. It is the people from the 3D who spend the most video buy the most tanner times and on and on. I remember when the 3D races got started everyone was screaming it will never work it will destroy the industry. But just the opposite happen the industry boomed the price of horses jump up the number of race with large purses climbed. Now the industry is in a slump. Producers and vendors are making less money. Something has to be done and as a vendor I can see that it could pull in more of the folks that do spend money.

I think the slump is related to things other than just the majority of people being unhappy with not getting a check. Fuel prices for one are killing everyone. You can't change that by paying more money to the lower D's and less to the 1D.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2005, 02:25:08 PM »
Yeah, i see how that could sound bad, but i am sorry i did not mean it like that in any way

No problem.........just another way to skin a cat without getting this topic zapped.......