8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: freecreditreport.com turns out to be a scam?  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
freecreditreport.com turns out to be a scam?
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:17:33 PM »
WASHINGTON--A subset of a major credit reporting company, which allegedly promised free reports but then billed customers $79.95 for a "credit monitoring service," agreed to settle charges of deceptive marketing practices.

The Federal Trade Commission had alleged that ConsumerInfo.com, which also runs a site called FreeCreditReport.com, deceived customers about the free credit reports and later failed to distinguish its services from a government-sanctioned site designed specifically for such services. Experian Consumer Direct, ConsumerInfo's parent company, is one of the "big three" credit reporting agencies that last year helped to set up that government-sanctioned site at AnnualCreditReport.com.

The terms of the settlement, filed Monday in the U.S. District Court of the Central District of California, prohibit ConsumerInfo from making misleading claims about its products in the future and give specific instructions on how disclaimers should be displayed on its site and advertisements. ConsumerInfo must also continue providing refunds to qualified customers and hand the FTC $950,000 in "ill-gotten" revenue, which may go to "consumer education," the agency said in a press release.

click here for more info
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: freecreditreport.com turns out to be a scam?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:06:23 AM »
Ha! I knew this was a scam of sorts.......it said in fine print at the bottom of your TV screen that you would be billed automatically for one report per month after the free one.......I JUST HAPPEN TO BE A FAST READER! Besides it's the law now that the credit bureaus themselves have to give us a free report once a year if we ask........but make sure you go directly through the credit bureau for it like Equifax, etc.

I also heard that most of those companies that try to get people to come to them for debt relief help are actually collection agencies in disguise!
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.