8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: 3 year old gelding  (Read 5201 times)

Offline justjettin

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
3 year old gelding
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:11:31 PM »
i just purchased a 3 year old gedling {Sunfrost,Joak,Depth Charge.Pacific Bailey and Joe ReedII} who has had 90 days professional training on the barrel pattern, and is high loping the pattern.My thought is to let Sonny tell me what he is ready for, speed wise, and he seems to be getting faster and faster without any pushing whatsoever.. and happy about it...however he is only 3... and i know that people have very very strong feelings about this, i used to be one of them, but it seems that once you turn down his speed to a lope, he gets bored.
i dont want to burn him out, but yet i dont want to run him in the ground, so i am going to start seasoning him slowly, hauling him with my finished gelding and letting him find his speed.
what do i do, it seems if i take him and let him go his way, i am going to get ripped and if i dont and hold him back, he is going to get bored... i use alot of drills and trail riding to keep him off the pattern and get miles logged in..any ideas,help would be appreciated :see-ya: <THANK YOU!>

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: 3 year old gelding
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 01:02:54 AM »
I think if you are experiencing no problems and your horse is confident, the speed that
he is choosing is acceptable.  Off pattern work, pasture riding, or any other alternatives you
can do with him away from the pattern to alleviate any sign of boredom is an excellent plan.

If he seems to be happy, and there are no signs of anxiety as you progress (anxiety in the alley,
or not standing still, hauling problems can show up) then I think that you may progress at the
speed in which seems to be working for him.  I have had many 3 yr olds that I felt I had to keep
an watchful eye and hand over because they had so much want to and try.  Just as what you
are going thru with this horse as well.  Just keep paying attention and listening to your horse.
He will start to tell you if he has had enough.

Laura Schumann
Lauras Ladder to Success Clinics
"I Believe" Tour 2009
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~