8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: SADDLE PADS:100% Wool v.s. Impact Gel ???  (Read 8784 times)

Offline HossLova

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
SADDLE PADS:100% Wool v.s. Impact Gel ???
« on: January 25, 2006, 01:52:16 PM »
Hello all...
There's a lot of talk these days on which pad is the "best" for your horse's comfort as well as the "best" for running barrels(or any other speed event for that matter)...
Marlene McRae says that she likes to only use 100% wool pads (as sold on her site) ...while MANY other champs say that they wouldn't ride in anything but the "Impact Gel" pads that are on the market now...ALL have good explanations why,so it makes it That much More confusing when trying to buy the "best" for your animal....
ANY THOUGHTS/RECOMMENDATIONS ??? Thanks SO much guys !!!

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: SADDLE PADS:100% Wool v.s. Impact Gel ???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:04:11 PM »
I've never tried a gel impact pad so I can't speak on that. I know wool is good. Wicks up the sweat better. Personally I like things that allow a horse's back to "breathe" a little. One of my stepbrothers told me that some pads can actually give you too much "bounce" and that is not good for your horse's back. It's a hard decision, I know.
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Donk

• Fossil
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »
 <:)I use Classic Equine pads.  They make a wool pad and a neoprene pad.  I have one of each and both are contoured.  I think they are the best pads and are nearly already broke-in when you first use them.  They withstand alot of riding.  My horses are not sore or excessively sweaty under them after riding.  I love them both.  Good luck with your "hunt".
Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built

Downthealley

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »

Tod Slone pad... Well worth the money!

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »
I have an impact gel pad and I like it.  Mine has a wool lining.  My only problem is that the lining is separating from the rest of the pad.  It is glued and the glue is not holding.  I am going to try something different when I get my new saddle.
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.
          That is why it is called the present.

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
One thing for sure Impact Get pads stand behind their pads.  If it did not wear properly they will replace it for free and not any other company will do that.  Impact Gel absorbs the shock the rider gives the pad and spreads the hit over the entire area instead of pounding and pounding on one area of the horses back.  Jamie does a great clinic on what his pad does at his booth anywhere he is and has a 100% money back guarantee on every pad sold.   Can't beat that!!! <ROCKON>
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline GamblinMan

• Extreme Member
  • JRo & "Padre" A.K.A. JericoGamblinMan
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:59:32 AM »
I saw a booth for the Impact Gel at the Ft. Worth Stock Show, and the guy put an M&M under one of the gel inserts, pounded it with a sledge hammer and the M&M didn't even crack.  Then he took it out from under the insert and cracked it, just to prove it was a real candy.  Then, he put his hand under the insert and slammed the hammer down as hard as he could - no pain.  That really impressed us.    I've used the wool pads like the Todd Slone and I didn't really like it because it seemed so stiff.  Currently I use a Classic Equine SensorFlex and I absolutely love it.

Offline ITDASH

• AKA: Bad Lisa
  • Administrator
  • Dinosaur!
  • ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 06:37:08 AM »
I have seen the impact gel demos and they are impressive , right now I just got my new saddle rite and am loving it , before that I was riding an ESP pad and I really like it alot its just too thick for my sports saddle
:P   Lisa Downs   :P
TEXAS  God Bless Texas TEXAS

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 07:32:56 AM »
Rodeo Mom, how do I get in touch with Jamie?  I would like to tell him what has happened with my pad and see what he says.
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.

kmh

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 08:42:21 AM »
I have a Tod Sloan and an ImpactGel.  I love the ImpactGel and would buy another.

Offline BugsNMe

• Novice Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 08:52:26 AM »
I have a Todd Sloan, Saddle Right, CSI and an Impact Gel.  I have been using the Impact Gel, but found out from an equine chiro that my horse was very sore in his back.  Just had his hocks and stifles injected so that shouldn't have been causing it.  The equine chiro asked what kind of pad I was using and when I said the Impact Gel, she said to quit using it and use the Saddle Right.  I have been having some saddle fit issues too, so I can't totally blame the Impact Gel, but I thought the Impact Gel would at least help the imperfect saddle fit somewhat.  I have now gone to a different saddle that seems to fit better and am using the Saddle Right.  So we'll see if the sore back issues are resolved.  I thought I really liked the Impact Gel, but I will now be using the Saddle Right and the Todd Sloan.

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »
I have a Saddle Right pad that I used on my old gelding.  He has gotten sway back now and it made him sore.  I am getting a new saddle for my new horse and I will try the Saddle Right pad on him to see if it will work.  I like the Saddle Right because it is not so thick and I can feel my horse better.
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.

Offline Dailyjld

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 08:58:10 AM »
Todd Sloan is all I used............

Offline krape

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »
 (:) I've had some good experience and some bad experience with different pads.  I've tried the 20X neopreme and neither one of my geldings liked them, one of them pitched wearing it.  I've used Todd Slone 3/4" and 1" pads depending on the withers of the horse and they are the absolute best for my horses.  Several months ago I bought an impact gel pad, kept it in my trailer for a couple of weeks and when I went to Bar Nothin in Ardmore I decided to use it.  I had both of my horses saddled and tied to the trailer, went to get something to eat, and when I came back one of my geldings was leaning on the horse trailer and trying to go down.  I watched him a while and thought, "on my gosh", he's colicing.  Scared me to death, this horse is never sick and never acts up.  I took him over to Robin (vet), she checked him out really well and said he sounded good (puzzled look), then she looked up (saw the gel pad) and said, "get that da-n pad off of him.  I said, "your kidding", she said, "no I'm not, take it off and bring him back."  I took off the gel pad, saddled him back up with his Todd Slone, took him back to Robin, and absolutely nothing.  He was fine and had a great run.  I took the gel pad (still had my receipt) back inside the building and the guy at the "gel pad" booth refunded my money.  He said some horses can't wear them.  Same thing Robin said, thin skinned horses can not wear the gel pads.  So, I will stick with the Todd Slone, they work great with my horses.  Don't fix something that is not broke.

Offline Dailyjld

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 09:23:03 AM »
 :)/\\Don't fix something that is not broke :)/\\