8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Special Effort dies 3/11/2006  (Read 3001 times)

Offline jkb4812

• Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Special Effort dies 3/11/2006
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:13:55 PM »
TRACK’s Monday Report of 3-13-06 Reprint: World Champion Special Effort was put down on

Saturday at the 6666 Ranch in Guthrie, Texas. The 27-year-old stallion won the Ruidoso two-year-old

Triple Crown in 1981 . . . a feat that has never been duplicated. Dr. Blodgett said Special Effort had been

bred to only one mare this season and that it did not result in a pregnancy.

Bred by master horseman Allen Moehrig of Seguin, Texas, Special Effort was purchased in May of his

two-year-old season by Dan and Jolene Urschel of Three Bar D Ranch near Canadian, Texas. The

Urschels, under the guidance of long-gone super agent Don Tyner, sold $100,000 lifetime breeding rights

in the horse in a couple of days at Ruidoso that year, and the horse entered stud at their place in 1983.

Special Effort’s first crop of 94 foals hit the tracks in 1986 and included in that crop was the Champion

Bully Bullion $225,000, and Make An Effort $187,000. The next crop included Special Effort’s all-time

leading money earner in the 1987 All American Futurity winner Elans Special $1.2 Million and

Champion Easygo Effort $432,000. Through this week, Special Effort’s runners had earned $18,162,277

to rank him #6 among the all-time leading sires of money earners. He has sired 73 stakes winners that

won 126 stakes races, the most recent being Caliente Habanero’s win in the 2004 Grade III Mount

Pleasant Meadows Budweiser Futurity.

Special Effort was leased by Lazy E prior to the 1988 breeding season and Ed Gaylord purchased him

just prior to the 1990 breeding season; the next year the stallion was transferred to the ownership of

Gaylord’s Lazy E Ranch.

When the Burnett Ranches revived their race breeding program in 1993 they purchased Special Effort

shortly after they struck a deal that brought Streakin Six and Dash For Cash to the 6666’s. Dr. Glenn

Blodgett, who began his veterinary practice in the Texas Panhandle, was the first person to collect

Special Effort and also the last. “I feel very fortunate to have been around such a great horse, and we

were very proud to have him here.”

Special Effort currently has 1,786 registered foals with his biggest crop (136) being foaled in 1989. He

has 42 two-year-olds this year (foals of 2004) and 24 foals of 2005 have been registered.

Special Effort’s sons Strawfly Special and Special Leader both ranked among the Top 10 sires of 2005

money earners. Strawfly Special ranks No. 7 among the all-time leading sires of money earners at $20.7

Million. Daughters of Special Effort have produced the winners of more than $25.7 Million, with the

leading money earner being Champion Eyesa Special $1.4 Million (also bred by Allen Moehrig).

“We had a lot of people wanting to breed to him this year,” Dr. Blodgett told TRACK. “Most of them

seem to want to breed to try to get a Special Effort mare. I think he would have been even more popular

in the last few years, but his semen did not ship well.” Blodgett said he had a very limited quantity of

frozen semen on the horse.

Special Effort was laid to rest at the 6666’s, next to Streakin Six. The two had spent a dozen years just

across the aisle from each other in the 6666 stallion barn from 1993 to 2005.

<(' ')> <(' ')>What a GREAT stallion

Offline amplifly

• Extreme Member
Re: Special Effort dies 3/11/2006
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:36:19 PM »
How sad...I love the Special Effort bloodline.  I have a son of Strawfly Special and a son of Strawflyin Buds at my house, love them both.  What a loss.
God is AWESOME!! :)

Offline Dawnya

• Official Wal-Mart Greeter
  • Posse Member
  • Elite Member
    • www.roadkillmercantile.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:05:52 AM »
Why was he put down?  Because he's shooting blanks?
That's how it reads anyway.

Beware of paranoia

spazzyjazzy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »
Why was he put down?  Because he's shooting blanks?
That's how it reads anyway.

That's how I took it too!!

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 02:28:31 PM »
No, Im sure his motility and or volume were so low in his semen he couldnt get a mare pregnant.  Thats how I took it, but, I only have a B.S. in Equine Reproduction and Mgmt.   >:D

27 in horse years is a lonnnng time, I have a 35 yr old that I probably need to put down, but just havent been able to bring myself to do it yet.

Im hoping she will go peacefully in her sleep one day.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Beatrice

• Novice Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:26:53 PM »
Special Effort had really gone down this past year, especially following the death of Streakin Six whom he loved.  On the day Streakin Six died, December 14, and was removed from his stall, Special Effort went to the corner of his stall and lowered his head as if in grief.  It really seemed to effect him.  He was put down because he would get down in his stall and was not able to get up.  He received the best care possible but at the age of 27, he was beginning to show it in his appearance.  The 6666 Ranch would never put a horse down just because they could no longer collect semen.  Steakin Six lived a good life for several years after they stopped collecting from him.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
As I suspected, sorry to see the feller go.  He will be missed in the industry.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.