8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Texas Senator Cornyn in favor of NAIS  (Read 1162 times)

Offline jropergirl

• I'm 10 miles from my mailbox, 45 miles from the closest town in nowhere SD. Life rocks!
  • Mega Member
  • Lord, give me wings and let me fly!
    • The South Dakota Cowgirl
Texas Senator Cornyn in favor of NAIS
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:04:21 AM »
Here is a link to see why he's in favor-  You'll have to look him up by his name- but it basically boils down to him taking campaign contributions from the Cattlemans' Association.

Also on DirtDoctor.com, you can see a response letter he wrote in regards to the NAIS program. He needs to be bombarded with stuff from us- we the people (who I guess he has forgotten he is supposed to represent!!!!). 

http://www.opensecrets.org/

www.ducheneaux.com- ranch raised quarter horses
www.streakiniron.com- barrel horses
http://thesouthdakotacowgirl.com See photos and learn stuff about the ranch!

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: Texas Senator Cornyn in favor of NAIS
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 10:58:25 AM »
Yup looks like he took $2000 in Feb of 2005, from the Texas Farm Bureau
and $500 from the Tx Cattle Feeders Assn.  in Mar of 05.   Oh, let me reiterate those were PAC contributions. 

Very interesting stuff! 
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline jropergirl

• I'm 10 miles from my mailbox, 45 miles from the closest town in nowhere SD. Life rocks!
  • Mega Member
  • Lord, give me wings and let me fly!
    • The South Dakota Cowgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
I got the following reply from my state senator in Austin, Jane Nelson.  I wanted to bump this up again, so that ALL Of us on this board can bombard Cornyn and Kay Bailey as well as your Rep in Congress with info and our thoughts/opinions on why this isn't needed.  Getting the TAHC to postpone etc is great but unless this changes on a national level our freedom of movement with our animals is most likely going to be very hampered.  Also- every senator in austin voted in favor of HB1361.  Only one rep in the house voted No.  I'll get his name later.

Jane Nelson wrote:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding House Bill 1361 (78R), authorizing the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) to institute livestock identification consistent with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Animal Identification System (NAIS).  I understand your concerns and appreciate your sharing your thoughts on this issue. 

Discussion of state rules to implement HB 1361 was postponed by the TAHC until further notice, but the deadlines for registering premises will not be affected.  You may contact the agency at (800) 550-8242 or via its website, www.tahc.state.tx.us, for additional information.  You may also obtain more information about the federal NAIS program via TAHC's website or by contacting your federal representatives under whose jurisdiction this program lies.   Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn and Representative Michael Burgess as follows:

U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison               U.S. Senator John Cornyn

(214) 361-3500                                               (972) 239-1310

(214) 361-3502 (fax)                                       (972) 239-2110 (fax)

U.S. Representative Michael Burgess

(202) 225-7772

(202) 225-2919 (Fax)

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts regarding this issue, and hope you will not hesitate to contact me again on any matter of importance to you.

Very truly yours,

Senator Jane Nelson
www.ducheneaux.com- ranch raised quarter horses
www.streakiniron.com- barrel horses
http://thesouthdakotacowgirl.com See photos and learn stuff about the ranch!

Karol

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 01:40:23 PM »
I met Senator Cornyn through an attorney that I used to work for.  Sen. Cornyn was very nice and we talked for a long time.  I wrote to him yesterday and let him know my concerns and asked him to reconsider his stand on this bill.  I have not heard from him, but I will share what I do get.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
Thank you Karol!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.