8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Bone Cancer of Sorts  (Read 1753 times)

Offline texasbarrelchick

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Bone Cancer of Sorts
« on: May 01, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
I just wanted to give a heads up.  We had a 8 year old ridgeback that weighed about 120 pounds.  Very healthy dog and happy too.  Well, about three weeks ago we noticed he was limping on his left hind leg.  We monitored it and checked him daily.  He started getting worse, fast.  In about two days he was not walking on his leg at all.  We took him to the vet and he did an x-ray and said that he had bone cancer.  Apparently this is a very fast moving cancer and it just had destroyed his leg.  Our options were either to amputate the leg or put him down.  We agonized over this for a good day and went back to talk to the vet.  Well, due to his size his leg could not be amputated, apparently he just could not get around on three legs and the vet said at that point there was not much else we could do.  We made the very difficult decision to put him down.  I have never had a dog with this condition and I just wanted to share that so maybe we can prevent this down the road.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: Bone Cancer of Sorts
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
very sorry to hear this.   (:(((
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:40:45 AM »
How can something like this be prevented?  I am so sorry for your untimely loss of a friend.   (((((((HUGS))))))))
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline texasbarrelchick

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:01:14 AM »
Well, It can not be prevented but if we had caught it ealier then chemo or radiation would have been an option.  By the time we knew what it was it had already progressed past that stage.

Offline bj

• Ebarrelracing.com hero And Burger Queen
  • Charter Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com Rocks
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:43:54 AM »
I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.  THEY ARE SUCH WONDERFUL PETS.
I HAVE A RIDGEBACK THAT IS SOON TO BE 12YRS. OLD.  THEY TELL ME THEIR LIFE EXPECTANCY IS AROUND 9 SO HE HAS EXCEEDED HIS TIME.  HE WEIGHS IN AT 150.  I AM LOOKING FOR A FEMALE TO BREED HIM TOO SO THAT I CAN HAVE PICK OF THE LITTER BUT THUS FAR I HAVE NOT FOUND ONE THAT I LIKE WELL ENOUGH TO WANT A PUP FROM.  IF YOU KNOW OF ANY NICE BIG BONED FEMALES THAT WANT A REALLY NICE MALE TO BREED, I WOULD ASK FOR 2 PUPS IN EXCHANGE FOR THE BREEDING AND GIVE ONE TO YOU. 
I HAVE HEARD OF THE BONE CANCER IN DOGS BUT DID NOT KNOW IT ADVANCED THAT QUICKLY.  THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A PUP AND WE FIND A FEMALE, LET ME KNOW.

Offline TxOkCanChsr

• A legend in my own mind
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »
My fiance lost a rottweiler the same way.  She started limping and he took her to the vet, they said watch it for a few days and if it gets worse bring her back in.  Well, it got worse and they said it was bone cancer and that almost always spreads quickly and can't really be contained.  The vet said other than her limp she wasn't in pain but to bring her back if she showed signs of hurting.  She lived only a week after the diagnosis.  She was only 6.  It's a tough disease and tends to hit bigger breeds more than little ones.  So sorry for your loss!!   (:(((
Life is not a journey to the grave w/ the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body..but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming --WOW!  WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline texasbarrelchick

• Novice Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:47:45 PM »
I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.  THEY ARE SUCH WONDERFUL PETS.
I HAVE A RIDGEBACK THAT IS SOON TO BE 12YRS. OLD.  THEY TELL ME THEIR LIFE EXPECTANCY IS AROUND 9 SO HE HAS EXCEEDED HIS TIME.  HE WEIGHS IN AT 150.  I AM LOOKING FOR A FEMALE TO BREED HIM TOO SO THAT I CAN HAVE PICK OF THE LITTER BUT THUS FAR I HAVE NOT FOUND ONE THAT I LIKE WELL ENOUGH TO WANT A PUP FROM.  IF YOU KNOW OF ANY NICE BIG BONED FEMALES THAT WANT A REALLY NICE MALE TO BREED, I WOULD ASK FOR 2 PUPS IN EXCHANGE FOR THE BREEDING AND GIVE ONE TO YOU. 
I HAVE HEARD OF THE BONE CANCER IN DOGS BUT DID NOT KNOW IT ADVANCED THAT QUICKLY.  THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A PUP AND WE FIND A FEMALE, LET ME KNOW.

Thank you so much.  That is so generous.  I know one couple who does own a female ridgeback, let me contact them and see if I can get some pictures for you.  They are wonderful pets and compeletly loyal.  He was a real sweetie, just a big teddy bear.  I will see what I can come up with. 

Offline bj

• Ebarrelracing.com hero And Burger Queen
  • Charter Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com Rocks
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 03:07:30 PM »
yOU CAN PM ME IF YOU FIND ANYTHING OUT.  I HAVE HAD JED SINCE HE WAS 5 WKS. OLD AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WILL DO WITHOUT HIM.