8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Alley issues and ulcers  (Read 4430 times)

Offline bpetters

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Alley issues and ulcers
« on: July 29, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
We have a 13 year old barrel mare who has only been running for about 2 years.  Her first year of competition was incredible and she and my daughter ended up reserve 1D champions in our NBHA.  Then, it all started going down hill. Alley issues started and have just gotten worse. After about 2 months of issues and a clean vet check, someone suggested that we have her adjusted.  She had major lower back issues.  After a few adjustments and a new saddle that fits better, her back has stayed fine.  However,  the alley issues have only gotten worse.  We originally thought that we had to re-teach her that running did not hurt since we had been running her with a sore back.  About 2 months ago, she began rearing in the alley.  We tried several soothing supplements that have helped slightly but eventually stop working.  I know that part of the problem is that my daughter now anticipates the issues and is more tense than she should be in the saddle.  But, several people have tried and cannot get her in an arena without the rearing as well so it is not all my kid.  The first vet check did not find the back problem and the second vet check was good too with no problems being found. But, as I read things like your forum, I keep seeing comments on ulcers.  Our horse shows none of the physical signs of an ulcer.  She eats like a pig...like she has not eaten in weeks...every time we put food in front of her.  She is on a good pasture and is kept out all day to graze with hay in the stall to graze on as well.  However, could an ulcer been the cause of the alley issues?

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Alley issues and ulcers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:43:11 PM »
Yes, an ulcer or ulcers could have been the cause of your problem and the
one way to know if a horse has ulcers or not is to have them scoped.  There
are a number of other things that could cause your problem also and it
sounds like you have quite a puzzle to solve.  Check these things also:

Does your equipment fit correctly?  Poor saddle fit can cause all kinds of
problems.
Shoeing - bad shoeing can stop a horse dead in it's tracks....
Sore joints - with your horse's age, that could certainly be a problem that
needs to be addressed.
Tension by the rider is only enabling the problem - be sure that each time
the rider asks the horse to move forward, that she isn't taking hold of the
horse's mouth and stopping her.
Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline bpetters

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Alley issues and ulcers
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
We have discovered after more vet visits that this horse has severe cysts on one ovary.  We have treated her with Regumate and she is doing much better.  Now we have to re train her that the arena and barrels will not hurt as it did before...We have been doing lots of slow work and she is resisting the arena less, but she still gets very nervous by an alley.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.